Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 08:39 PM   #581
Full time employment: Posting here.

Freefall: America, Free Markets, and the Sinking of the World Economy (Kindle Edition)by Joseph E. Stiglitz (Author)

I am in the middle of this book. Why I am doing this to myself I do not know cause this read is enough to keep you up at night. Think I'll stick to fiction for the next few books.

La tavola e il letto non hanno restrizioni.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-25-2010, 09:10 PM   #582
Gone but not forgotten

I 'm reading Lisa Scottoline 's "Mistaken Identity " . I really enjoy her books . They are like Grisham's from a female .
Old 07-27-2010, 09:47 PM   #583
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I haven't read it yet, so no real review. But I ordered this today from Amazon, and just based on the title it gets an 8/10. Amazon.com: Here's Looking at Euclid: A Surprising Excursion…
Old 07-28-2010, 12:01 AM   #584
Give me a forum ...

I am reading Henning Mankkell's Man From Bejing. A crime novel written with beautiful style.

Ha
Old 07-28-2010, 01:24 PM   #585
Give me a forum ...

I am reading "The Red Fox," by Anthony Hyde, and interesting mystery/spy novel from the mid 80s. It has the best quote for ERers I have seen. Describing an American ex pat in Paris he says, "...he had that glow of comfortable, prosperous health that spelled 'early retirement.'"
Old 07-28-2010, 02:22 PM   #586
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattusbabe View Post
I am currently reading Micheal Lewis's The Big Short.
Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
I finished The Big Short, by Michael Lewis, author of Liar's Poker and The Blind Side. Go to the library and put a hold on it. It is by far the most enjoyable read I have encountered on the sub-prime fiasco. Lewis is an engaging writer and he gets to the heart of the mess though the eyes of a handful of people who saw it for the horror show it was early on. Along the way he does a great and entertaining job of explaining in laymen's terms how tranches of asset based obligations, credit default swaps, collateralized debt obligations, synthetic CDOs, and other arcana worked (or failed to work).
Thanks for mentioning that you read this book, you two! I read "The Big Short" yesterday, almost entirely in one sitting, having decided to read it based on your posts.

IMO it is a quick read and entertaining - - easy reading at its finest, like a suspense-filled adventure novel. Even better, I feel as though I learned something about what really happened in the subprime mortgage crisis and subsequent crash.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 07-31-2010, 03:06 PM   #587
Give me a forum ...

I'm reading Niall Ferguson's The Ascent of Money: a Financial History of the World. It's full of interesting tidbits. Did you know that bonds were invented in Italy during the renaissance to fund wars, and that many sovereigns and governments defaulted on their debts? Or that banknotes were invented in France by a conman from Britain called John Law? Or that Spain fell behind in financial innovation because it just couldn't get away from the idea of precious metals like silver being replaced by paper? Or that Milton Friedman and his students collaborated with Pinochet to test their hypotheses, leading to radical and successful reform of the Chilean economy? It helps to have a basic financial understanding before reading this book; all in all, very enjoyable so far. it was published in 2008 and there is an afterword.
Old 08-01-2010, 12:32 PM   #588
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
I'm reading Niall Ferguson's The Ascent of Money: a Financial History of the World.
That was the first Ferguson book I read. I think there was also a PBS 3-hour special based on the book that you can watch online.
Old 08-01-2010, 12:38 PM   #589
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonidas View Post
That was the first Ferguson book I read. I think there was also a PBS 3-hour special based on the book that you can watch online.

Thanks Leo....I have indeed watched this online and have it on my bookmarks. Here is the link:
Part 1: From Bullion to Bubbles | The Ascent of Money | PBS Video#
Old 08-01-2010, 01:28 PM   #590
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
Just about finished with Liar's Poker by Michael Lewis . I'm still on the waiting list for The Big Short . Liar's Poker was interesting .
My favorite quote from Lewis:

“Looking for bad bonds inside a CDO (collateralized debt obligation) was like fishing for crap in a Port-O-Let: The question wasn’t whether you’d catch some but how quickly you’d be satisfied you’d caught enough. Their vary names were disingenuous, and told you nothing about their contents, their creators, or their managers: Carina, Gemstone, Octans III, Glacier Funding.” THE BIG SHORT by Michael Lewis

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
Old 08-01-2010, 02:23 PM   #591

I just finished Liar's Poker too. After reading the Big Short, I felt the need to go back and read it.

I am now reading Free: The Future of a Radical Price So far, pretty good.

On the fiction side, the best book I've read recently is by James Lee Burke, The Rain Gods; a Novel It was my first novel by him and I loved his style and the description of the stark beauty of the Big Bend area. Pretty brutal in places.
Old 08-01-2010, 02:27 PM   #592

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
I am reading Henning Mankkell's Man From Bejing. A crime novel written with beautiful style.

Ha
Ha,
I read his The Eye of the Leopard and it was amazingly good. He has a great writing style. I've read a couple of his Kurt Wallander books after that. I enjoyed them, but The Eye of the Leopard was exceptional.
Old 08-05-2010, 08:20 AM   #593
Give me a forum ...

Amazon.com: Captain Blood eBook: Rafael Sabatini: Kindle Store

This is a free kindle book, and it was really good. 10/10. Good old swashbuckling tale, and they really knew how to write back then. I read the whole thing on my iPod touch.

Just got this one by the same author, also free:

Amazon.com: The Sea-Hawk eBook: Rafael Sabatini: Kindle Store
Old 08-07-2010, 11:20 AM   #594
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
Has anyone read Financially Stupid People are Everywhere? I read a review on the book and it looks interesting and have asked to local library to add it to their collection.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
Old 08-14-2010, 11:16 PM   #595

I just read The Big Short too and it was a fabulous story! Some of it was infuriating, but the chapter "Accidental Capitalists" was hilarious, in parts. The book was so well written that I had to love it.
Old 08-15-2010, 05:38 AM   #596

I just finished "Little Bee", a can't-put-it-down novel lent to me by a cousin. It concerns a Nigerian orphan forced to flee her country in fear for her life and the glamorous British magazine editor who has a connection to her from a long ago walk on a beach gone awry.
Old 08-15-2010, 09:20 AM   #597
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldbabe View Post
I just read The Big Short too and it was a fabulous story! Some of it was infuriating, but the chapter "Accidental Capitalists" was hilarious, in parts. The book was so well written that I had to love it.
I'm still number 11 out of 15 in our library system. We must have really slow readers in my county!

I've been reading the Doc Ford series by Randy Wayne White. Good ole gov't assassin turned Florida marine biologist thriller stuff. Fun to read, doesn't strain credulity too much, and I've learned a fair amount about southwest Florida in the process. I'm about halfway through the last book Dead Silence, so I'll have to find something else now. But definitely fun summer reading.
Old 08-15-2010, 09:27 AM   #598
Give me a forum ...

I can recommend "Faithful Place," by Tana French. I would give it a 9. It features a 40 something Dublin detective digging into a twenty year old murder of a girl he was planning to elope with. It is as much a novel about dysfunctional family dynamics as a mystery. very good.
Old 08-15-2010, 01:47 PM   #599
Give me a forum ...

Some time back Leonidas recommended Jos Wambaugh's Hollywood Series. I just finished the three I know about- Hollywood Station, Hollywood Crows, and Hollywood Moon. Super entertaining, and lots of street level detail that is funny and if my memories still serve, accurate.

I learned a new term for a meth-head "tweaker". Luckily, there are no tweakers among my current acquaintances, plenty on the street though.

He doesn't seem to use farfetched plot devices which usually turn me off of crime novels.

Ha
Old 08-15-2010, 04:16 PM   #600
Full time employment: Posting here.

I am currently enjoying " In Praise of Slowness by Carl Honore

Carl Honore In Praise of Slowness

I have to say that I am really getting a lot out of this and have been making some changes in my personal life re. how I want to spend my ER as a result.

The whole issue of time, how much we have and what we use it for has always been of interest to me. It is one of the reasons I FIRED when I had the chance. I did not want to spend the heart of the day at w**k. However I find that I am over committing for activities.

Granted it they are not w**k related but I do not think that is good. I am trying to strike a balance between taking time to smell the flowers and feeling that I have to fill every moment because time is too precious to waste.

La tavola e il letto non hanno restrizioni.