Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-27-2010, 08:44 PM   #621
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeRuh View Post
"Life is a holiday"
Is your avatar Audrey Hepburn and Gregory Peck in Roman Holiday?

Ha

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-28-2010, 03:02 PM   #622
Give me a forum ...

Today I finished "The Big Short " . Really good book . It was hard at first to keep track of all the players but I did it and it was interesting to see how it all played out .

Old 08-28-2010, 05:16 PM   #623

Just started The Lion by Nelson DeMille.
Old 09-02-2010, 11:21 AM   #624
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger View Post
Just started The Lion by Nelson DeMille.
Please let me know how good it is. I am a fan of Nelson.
Old 09-02-2010, 11:23 AM   #625

Halfway through "The bodies left behind" by Jeffrey Deaver. Not bad.
Old 09-02-2010, 01:42 PM   #626
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Is your avatar Audrey Hepburn and Gregory Peck in Roman Holiday?

Ha
Yep. Love that Movie. Audrey Hepburn left this world way to soon!

t.r.
Old 09-02-2010, 01:50 PM   #627
Recycles dryer sheets

Just finished The Thousand Autumns of Jacob De Zoet. This was a fascinating book that I absolutely could not put down. An historical novel that takes place from 1799 in Japan. A time-frame when Japan was nearly in total isolation. Lots of adventure and some really great innovative writing. Goes nearly 500 pages and I did not want it to end.

t.r.
Old 09-02-2010, 04:02 PM   #628
Give me a forum ...

Just finished, The Most Powerful Idea in the World: The Story of Steam, Industry, and Invention, by William Rosen. It closes with a quote from Abraham Lincoln that is the kernel of the book: "The patent system added the fuel of interest to the fire of genius." The author makes a good case that the ideas of Lock and Coke holding that individual intellectual property is property worth protecting led to an environment in Britain and America that was essential for the blossoming of the industrial age. Whether you find his thesis compelling or not the story is fascinating. I didn't remember (if I ever learned) that the original steam engines driving the revolution relied on atmospheric pressure pushing pistons down (after low pressure steam was condensed). My image of steam power was always the familiar high pressure push in locomotives and electric plants. The characters in this story are colorful and fascinating -- good read.
Old 09-02-2010, 05:14 PM   #629
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
Just finished, The Most Powerful Idea in the World: The Story of Steam, Industry, and Invention, by William Rosen. It closes with a quote from Abraham Lincoln that is the kernel of the book: "The patent system added the fuel of interest to the fire of genius." The author makes a good case that the ideas of Lock and Coke holding that individual intellectual property is property worth protecting led to an environment in Britain and America that was essential for the blossoming of the industrial age. Whether you find his thesis compelling or not the story is fascinating. I didn't remember (if I ever learned) that the original steam engines driving the revolution relied on atmospheric pressure pushing pistons down (after low pressure steam was condensed). My image of steam power was always the familiar high pressure push in locomotives and electric plants. The characters in this story are colorful and fascinating -- good read.
I buy the importance of the patent system and how it inspired innovation. In contrast, the copyright system which gives many more years of protection ranging from 70 to 120 years, stifles invocation and is simply the product of strong lobbies.

So there.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 05:21 PM   #630
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
I buy the importance of the patent system and how it inspired innovation. In contrast, the copyright system which gives many more years of protection ranging from 70 to 120 years, stifles invocation and is simply the product of strong lobbies.

So there.
+1 I agree completely. Mickey Mouse getting more time - gimme a break.
Old 09-03-2010, 05:44 PM   #631
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post

So there.
Technology is usually obsolete in a relatively short time. On the other hand, Chuck Berry is timeless...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 02:55 PM   #632

I've recently read Buy-ology—Truth and Lies about Why we Buy, a book on the emerging field of neuromarketing. This is the study of how the body and brain react to images, sounds, smells etc, with a goal of determining what part of a marketing strategy customers are really responsive to, whether the reaction to a product or product-related image or sound is positive or negative, and so on. It's a short, interesting, easy-to-read book written by an industry leader, and (quite unintentionally on the author's part) frightened me a lot.
Old 09-08-2010, 08:27 PM   #633
Full time employment: Posting here.

I got half way through Freefall by Joseph E. Stiglitz te Amazon.com: Freefall: America, Free Markets, and the Sinking of the World Economy (9780393338959): Joseph E. Stiglitz: Books and put it down. I do not see any chance that any of Stiglitz ideas becoming policy.

I then picked up and read Stop Acting Rich and Start Living like a Real Millionaire by Thomas Stanley, which is just more Millionaire Next door stuff. Amazon.com: Stop Acting Rich: ...And Start Living Like A Real Millionaire (9780470482551): Thomas J. Stanley: Books

I am currently reading The Rise of the Creative Class: And How It's Transforming Work, Leisure, Community and Everyday Life by Richard Florida Amazon.com: rise of the creative class: Books
I'll let ya know how this goes.

La tavola e il letto non hanno restrizioni.
Old 09-08-2010, 09:16 PM   #634
Administrator

I am halfway through Confessions of an Economic Hit Man by John Perkins.
This book is absolutely fascinating and ostensibly non-fiction. Perkins was an economist working for an international consulting firm that he says acted as a front for the NSA. He worked in mostly third world countries, and his job was to provide optimistic economic projections used to encourage leaders of these countries to accept huge loans from the World Bank that would benefit the U.S. in the long run. Halfway through the book as I am, I am not yet sure if I believe his story or not, but it is certainly entertaining.

Also I just finished The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. We all know about the Sherlock Holmes stories, which are as delightful now as ever.
Old 09-09-2010, 09:22 AM   #635

I've completed about 18% of Les Miserables according to my Kindle. I kept a few of my late husband's books and started reading a 1940ish edition but the print was so small I had to order it for my Kindle so I could enlarge the font.
Old 09-09-2010, 09:45 AM   #636
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy2bretired View Post
I've completed about 18% of Les Miserables according to my Kindle. I kept a few of my late husband's books and started reading a 1940ish edition but the print was so small I had to order it for my Kindle so I could enlarge the font.
Get out the tissues!! That book is SO SAD. I started it last spring (loved it half a century ago and wanted to re-read it from my present viewpoint). Unfortunately I had to take a break before I finished it because it really got to me. It is so sad! It is still on my Kindle, waiting for me, though.
Old 09-09-2010, 11:23 AM   #637
Give me a forum ...

I've been on a Lisa Scottoline kick . I read "Daddy's girl " & "Legal tender " . She has been described as a female Grishman . They are good ,fast reads that you keep you hooked .
Old 09-09-2010, 02:13 PM   #638

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Get out the tissues!! That book is SO SAD. I started it last spring (loved it half a century ago and wanted to re-read it from my present viewpoint). Unfortunately I had to take a break before I finished it because it really got to me. It is so sad! It is still on my Kindle, waiting for me, though.
Oh nuts. I heard that it was sad...but, now you've really got me wondering about it. I may have to take a break too. I've noticed so far, that even though it was written so long ago, there is so much that is pertinent today - kinda timeless. I've caught myself just sitting there pondering what I've read sometimes.
Old 09-11-2010, 07:11 AM   #639
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
I've been on a Lisa Scottoline kick . I read "Daddy's girl " & "Legal tender " . She has been described as a female Grishman . They are good ,fast reads that you keep you hooked .
I just finished Look Again by Lisa Scottoline - really enjoyed it and really made you think! My two favorite books of the summer are:
1) The Art of Racing in the Rain -- Garth Stein
2) I am The Messenger - Markus Zusak
Old 09-11-2010, 07:51 AM   #640
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoccoPacco View Post
I just finished Look Again by Lisa Scottoline - really enjoyed it and really made you think!

I read that sometime last year & did not even realize it was a Lisa Scottoline book until recently . She also writes a column for the Philadelphia enquirer that has been made into the book " Why my third husband will be a dog ".