Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-20-2010, 03:39 PM   #701

Warlord by Ted Bell. Another awesome Alex Hawke thriller. I love that guy! Like James Bond, but cooler!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-20-2010, 06:34 PM   #702
Recycles dryer sheets

I just finished "The Count of Monte Cristo" by Alexandre Dumas. It is a huge tome, and was very good if you are up for the literary challenge.

I had always thought I had a very good vocabulary, but the translation I was reading had dozens of words that I did not know, as well as many French references. Normally I am a little lazy about getting the dictionary out... but it was handy to read it on my e-reader (Sony) so that I could just double-click on the words I didn't know and have the definition pop up.

Charlotte

Old 10-20-2010, 09:41 PM   #703
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Finished The Big Short. Y'all were right. Excellent book.
Old 10-31-2010, 10:08 AM   #704
Give me a forum ...

Finished Amazon.com: Initials Only eBook: Anna Katharine Green: Kindle Store: Reviews, Prices & more on my iPod. Pretty good book, written in 1911. Old books like that seem to be so carefully crafted. Here's an example of the writing style.
"A remarkable man! "

It was not my husband speaking, but some passerby. However, I looked up at George with a smile, and found him looking down at me with much the same humour. We had often spoken of the odd phrases one hears in the street, and how interesting it would be sometimes to hear a little more of the conversation.

"That's a case in point," he laughed, as he guided me through the crowd of theatre-goers which invariably block this part of Broadway at the hour of eight. " We shall never know whose eulogy we have just heard. ' A remarkable man!' There are not many of them."

"No," was my somewhat indifferent reply. It was a keen winter night and snow was packed upon the walks in a way to throw into sharp relief the figures of such pedestrians as happened to be walking alone. " But it seems to me that, so far as general appearance goes, the one in front answers your description most admirably."
Old 10-31-2010, 10:57 AM   #705
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

William Boyd's Ordinary Thunderstorm is a compelling novel about a young man wrongly implicated in a grizzly murder. The author takes us into the widely different London environments of abject poverty and wealthy lifestyles. Good reviews here and I gave it 5 stars: Amazon.com: Ordinary Thunderstorms: A Novel (9780061876745): William Boyd: Books
Old 10-31-2010, 01:07 PM   #706

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Finished The Big Short. Y'all were right. Excellent book.
Finally got around to it. Educational and riveting. I read it in two days while on vacation in Chicago (had some down time).
A month or so ago I read "Cornflakes with John Lennon". That makes two books read in one year. I'll have to mine this thread for additional titles.
Old 10-31-2010, 01:31 PM   #707

Suggested reading for Halloween

I've read a number of short stories appropriate to the season recently, and as the stories are now widely available in e-book form, I thought I might share these. The stories date from eighty to one hundred years ago, authored by one Howard Phillips Lovecraft, and largely focus on what the author considered to be the oldest and strongest emotion of mankind, fear.

I find the stories interesting, not simply because of their subject matter, which I cannot, nay, must not describe lest I endanger the sanity my my readers, but from their intriguing and subtle structure and arcane vocabulary. Modern literature rarely admits the use of descriptive terms such as squamous or rugose, for example.

Several stories have my recommendation for an evening's reading by firelight on this night.

Cool Air
The Music of Erich Zann
Out of the Aeons

"At the Mountains of Madness" is another excellent, if longer story.

I've also recently read a book of somewhat more modern provenance, with similar thematic content. "The Fuller Memorandum", by Charles Stross, is one of the books in his "Laundry" series of stories. The book takes a somewhat technological approach to the same subject matter as H. P. Lovecraft reported, with an interesting and lightly humorous touch. The book also explains why it is perhaps not entirely safe to contemplate the works of Mr. Lovecraft in electronic form.
Old 10-31-2010, 05:08 PM   #708
Give me a forum ...

I just finished " Saving Max " by Antoinette Van heughten . It was a can not put down book .Very suspenseful but the ending was just okay .
Old 11-02-2010, 02:21 PM   #709
Give me a forum ...

Just finished "Bogleheads guide to retirement planning ". Very good book . It explained everything in easy terms . Probably best for people just starting to plan but it did have a good section on SS and converting to Roth Ira's .
Old 11-02-2010, 08:33 PM   #710

I'm about 1/4 of the way into this -
Amazon.com: A Secret Gift: How One Man's Kindness--and a Trove of Letters--Revealed the Hidden History of the Great Depression (9781594202704): Ted Gup: Books

and I can't put it down.

This is a true story of a man who is given his deceased grandfather's suitcase and it contains letters from Dec. 1933. The letters are from people who are writing in response to an offer in a local newspaper for cash help at Christmas. The anonymous donor is the author's grandfather using a pseudonym. The stories from the letter writers are all about how bad things are in The Depression. This takes place in Canton, OH which is just down the highway from where we live.

Of course, I know a little about The Depression, stories from my parents, a chapter or two in a history class but this book is making it so much more real.

In the course of digging into the story of his grandfather giving money anonymously in 1933, the author learns much more about his grandfather, why he never discussed his early background and how it affected the rest of his life.
Old 11-04-2010, 09:25 PM   #711
Recycles dryer sheets

i didn't read it, but did listen to the book on cd while driving..."The Snowball, Warren Buffett & the business of life". absolutely amazing, i listened to it twice so far. his story & life are unbelievable. truly a man with solid ethics that anyone can look up to.

The Snowball: Warren Buffett and the Business of Life - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 11-07-2010, 11:23 AM   #712

Reading "The watchman" by Robert Crais. So-so....
Old 11-10-2010, 01:54 PM   #713
Give me a forum ...

Pensionize Your Nest Egg by Moshe Milevsky and Alexandra MacQueen.

This is an excellent book if you want to understand how extremely valuable a government COLA db pension truly is. There has been a gradual evolution of understanding on this board. Formerly everyone wanted the money, now “perhaps let's rethink that one.”

Also it helps in understanding more about the annuity products that are around today. It is written for Canadians, so some aspects are less relevant to US retirees, but the sense of it holds.

I give it a 5 star recommendation- not because they necessarily sell the idea of annuitizing some of one's retirement income needs, but because they help in understanding this whole area in more detail.

Ha
Old 11-16-2010, 11:21 PM   #714

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte
I just finished "The Count of Monte Cristo" by Alexandre Dumas. It is a huge tome, and was very good if you are up for the literary challenge.
I read that a few months ago and am now on the third of the Three Musketeers books, also by Dumas. They are a lot of fun to read. I never gave much thought to the kind of intrigue that must have gone on in a royal court, with family jealousies, shifting alliances, loveless marriages, etc. That is the basis for all the action in these books...intrigue in the court of the kings/queen of France on the early-mid 1600's.
Old 11-19-2010, 12:06 AM   #715

Currently reading "When Money Dies", an account of living with hyperinflation in the Weimar Republic. The middle class were pretty much wiped out.

Amazon.com: When Money Dies: The Nightmare of Deficit Spending, Devaluation, and Hyperinflation in Weimar Germany (9781586489946): Adam Fergusson: Books
Old 11-19-2010, 09:05 AM   #716
Recycles dryer sheets

Hell's Corner by David Baldacci -- perhaps his best in the Camel Club series.
Old 11-19-2010, 09:19 AM   #717
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

"The Pacific" by Hugh Ambrose.

I found this book very interesting - although not nearly as well-written as "A Band of Brothers" by his dad, Stephen Ambrose. The book follows the lives of five individuals who participated in the war against the Japanese and seems to me to be more of a history book than the more personal stories of war I saw in his dad's work.

That said, the fact I saw the "Band of Brothers" HBO series prior to reading the book and have not yet seen the HBO program on "The Pacific" may have influenced my opinion.

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension

REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 10:53 AM   #718
Administrator

I just finished Shattered, by Kathryn Casey. This is the story of a true crime. A suburban Houston (Katy, TX) woman who is 8 months pregnant and mother of a toddler has her brains blown out at home, ostensibly by an intruder. Turns out it was her insensitive, spoiled, philandering ex-football player husband but Casey keeps the reader wondering until nearly the end. This guy is the character you love to hate!

I have read better books in this genre. I wouldn't necessarily recommend the book unless you just feel like reading a book in which a murdering self absorbed lout finally gets what's coming to him. Right triumphs, yee-hah! Not intellectually challenging but a quick read and relaxing.
Old 11-19-2010, 11:04 AM   #719
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
This is the story of a true crime. A suburban Houston (Katy, TX) woman who is 8 months pregnant and mother of a toddler has her brains blown out at home...

...a quick read and relaxing.
Right.

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension

REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 11:35 AM   #720
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Right.
Maybe "relaxing" was the wrong choice of words.... Hey, good triumphs, y'know? They get a conviction. The crime is described in the first few pages and after that, it's six years' worth of accumulation of circumstantial evidence until they can nail the guy.

I guess that it is not as relaxing as re-reading The Wonderful Wizard of Oz which I did a few weeks ago. I did stay up until 1 AM finishing Shattered last night, instead of drifting off to sleep. But then, knowing that the jerk is behind bars for what he did to that poor woman, I slept like a baby.