Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-21-2010, 01:58 PM   #721
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

"The boys from Santa Cruz" by Jonathan Nasaw. I am half way through it. Very good.
I´ve enjoyed all his novels.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

"Testosterone for Life" Morgentaler
Old 11-21-2010, 02:30 PM   #722
Dryer sheet aficionado

"Testosterone for Life" Morgentaler

I'm 71 and in the gym lifting weights most mornings before breakfast as I have for some years now. Since all my time is my own, I can more easily devote hours every week to physical training, though I did that while working too. Anti-aging medicine is a new interest of mine. So, I have read "Testosterone for Life" by Abraham Morgentaler, Harvard Medical School. "A highly valuable resource. Finally debunks many of the myths about testosterone's safety, which has been an impediment to its appropriate usage for far too long." -- David E. Greenberg, M.D., President, Canadian Society for the Study of the Aging Male.

Old 11-21-2010, 05:48 PM   #723

I just finished the Lost Girls by three 20-somethings from NYC that traveled for a year together around the world. A big book, but I think it has something for everyone who enjoys reading travel stories, those of us who remember (or are living) the angst of the 20s with career/love/family worries hanging over us, and the satisfaction of dreaming of a goal and then achieving it.

Funny that when I went to look for a link for it, that is also the title of a, ahem, less savory story about three female characters from literary fiction. Let the record show that this IS NOT the book I read!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 03:04 PM   #724
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I am in the middle of the new Grisham book "The Confession" so far it is a really good read .
Old 11-27-2010, 05:37 PM   #725

I am reading a library book "Pearl Buck in China: Journey to the Good Earth" by Hilary Spurling. I am an autobiography and biography fan, and this is an excellent book about pre-Revolutionary times, missionary life, etc., and also traces the development of a major literary star and civil rights campaigner.
My aunt gave me one of the new color B & N Nooks on Thanksgiving. She bought it because she enjoyed talking to the nice young sales associate but does not want to be bothered with learning anything about it. As I trained back in the Dark Ages as a librarian, she felt I would want it. I have it charged up and have downloaded "Kitchen Confidential" by Anthony Bourdain.
Old 11-27-2010, 05:51 PM   #726

Just started reading Liberty & Tyranny, a Conservative Manifesto, by Mark Levine.
Old 11-29-2010, 08:55 AM   #727
Give me a forum ...

Finished two good books recently. "Life" by Keith Richards is a must read for Stones fans. Lots of details about the genesis of the songs/music, life on the road etc. I would give this a 7 on a 10 scale. I would have gone higher but Richards is a little too long winded. He also goes into musical detail that was too far beyond me but would be very interesting to the musicians on the board. I ended up liking Richards more after reading this book -- did you know he was an Eagle Scout?

Also read, "Zero History," William Gibson's latest. This is another one I would give a 7. At first I found it a little slow and almost abandoned it. But after a while I got into it. It is set in the current day and uses real technology and real cultural activities in a way that highlights how much things (in some quarters) are like his futurist portrayals in some of his early novels. His obsessive focus on fashion and design gets a bit old, but it is a pretty good read.
Old 11-29-2010, 09:07 AM   #728
Recycles dryer sheets

Joseph Wambaugh's Hollywood Hills.
Old 12-01-2010, 11:49 AM   #729

Just finished Lunatic Express by Carl Hoffman.
From Amazon:
Travel and technology journalist Hoffman (Hunting Warbirds) had two motives for penning this tour of the world's most life-threatening modes of transportation, including trains in India, buses in South America, and trucks in Afghanistan: to expose the "parallel reality," obscured by the tourism industry, of millions for whom "travel was still a punishing, unpredictable, and sometimes deadly work of travail"; and for thrills. By the first measure-showing how much of the world gets from place to place-Hoffman is commendably fascinating: his depiction of the horrors people endure just to see family members or get to work is unforgettable.

I thought it was a great read and I thoroughly enjoyed his premise about how money really buys you privacy and quiet, which are in very short supply in the poor world.

Old 12-01-2010, 12:01 PM   #730
Recycles dryer sheets

Just finished Julie & Julia, a light and fluffy read. Part of the book is Julie's concern that her biological clock was ticking and with medical issues, she needed to "get with the program" or risk not being able to have a child. I googled to see if she had a baby...got a surprising answer which put a bit of tarnish on her gushing devotion to DH Eric.
Old 12-01-2010, 12:20 PM   #731
Give me a forum ...

The Prime Minister, Anthony Trollope. (Another Amazon freebie.) I cannot get enough of Trollope.

Ha
Old 12-01-2010, 01:16 PM   #732

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova View Post
Just finished Julie & Julia, a light and fluffy read. Part of the book is Julie's concern that her biological clock was ticking and with medical issues, she needed to "get with the program" or risk not being able to have a child. I googled to see if she had a baby...got a surprising answer which put a bit of tarnish on her gushing devotion to DH Eric.
Yeah, thanks for saving me the trouble of reading it. Sounds like the second book about her cheating heart was a nasty piece of work.

Old 12-01-2010, 07:19 PM   #733
Give me a forum ...

Thanks guys, I have Life and The Confession on hold. Both have about 11 holds ahead of me, but I'm patient. And The Reversal came in today.
Old 12-01-2010, 07:27 PM   #734
Full time employment: Posting here.

I am in the middle of Born Fighting. How the Scots Irish shaped America by James Webb. ( Sen. from Va.)

La tavola e il letto non hanno restrizioni.
Old 12-01-2010, 07:42 PM   #735

Re-reading "The Sot Weed Factor" by John Barth, forgot it existed and ran across the book while rummaging around looking for something else. First read it about 40 years ago.
Old 12-01-2010, 07:51 PM   #736

I've almost finished "Debunkery" by Ken Fisher. Some interesting challenges to widely held financial and investing beliefs, but a lot of revisiting things which I have long since rejected.
Old 12-02-2010, 10:04 AM   #737
Recycles dryer sheets

Outwitting Trolls by William Tapply - his last & best Brady Coyne novel.
Old 12-02-2010, 10:06 AM   #738
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake46 View Post
Outwitting Trolls by William Tapply
I'm sure you realize this now qualifies you to become a moderator.

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension

REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 01:29 PM   #739

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattusbabe View Post
I am in the middle of Born Fighting. How the Scots Irish shaped America by James Webb. ( Sen. from Va.)
Oh, this sounds interesting! I've done some study on the Scots Irish (being one) and was fascinated by the breadth of the politicians and "mover/shakers" even today that count Scots Irish ancestry.

Thanks!

Old 12-02-2010, 01:29 PM   #740

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I'm sure you realize this now qualifies you to become a moderator.
I hope Jake comes back with some tips for us!