Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-04-2011, 02:47 PM   #761
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
+1 to both of the them. Gulf Coast Florida in the tradition of what's-his-name: pastel colored this and that.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-04-2011, 02:53 PM   #762
Recycles dryer sheets

John D Macdonald's Travis McGee series?

Old 01-04-2011, 03:50 PM   #763
Give me a forum ...

I am almost half way through "Worst Case " by James Patterson . I know I swore off him because his books were getting too kinky but this one is excellent . I also just finished " My Nest isn't empty it just has more closet space " by Lisa Scottoline . If you like her books it's an interesting glimpse into her life . I have " Unbroken " loaded in my Nook to read next . It's gotten excellent reviews .
Old 01-04-2011, 04:05 PM   #764
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
+1 to both of the them. Gulf Coast Florida in the tradition of what's-his-name: pastel colored this and that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kroeran View Post
John D Macdonald's Travis McGee series?
That's it. I was too lazy to look it up
Old 01-04-2011, 08:30 PM   #765
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Not to mention being one of the very best Rolling Stones songs ever.

Old 01-05-2011, 04:16 AM   #766
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Reading "Lady killer" by Lisa Scottoline: So-so. Listening to "The reversal" by M. Connelly: Promising (I like the Michael Haller series)
Old 01-05-2011, 09:32 AM   #767

Quote:
I will try to recover from this slight against my all-time favorite novelist, Don! It is the wonderful John Dann McDonald, just as Kroeran said!

I have his entire collection of both the Travis series and his lesser known but still fabulous novels. He wrote Cape Fear which was made into a very scary movie--it is the only one of his books that I cannot bear to re-read--too scary!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 10:17 AM   #768
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
I will try to recover from this slight against my all-time favorite novelist, Don! It is the wonderful John Dann McDonald, just as Kroeran said!

I have his entire collection of both the Travis series and his lesser known but still fabulous novels. He wrote Cape Fear which was made into a very scary movie--it is the only one of his books that I cannot bear to re-read--too scary!
I like them too. I just can never remember the names of authors or even characters (like Travis McGee). But for some reason I always remembered the pastel colors in a lot of his titles (lemon colored sky?) with the great accompanying cover art
Old 01-05-2011, 11:48 AM   #769
Dryer sheet wannabe

On a more serious note....
Reading (a real catchy title, btw) "Eartly Retirement Extreme" by Jacob Lund Fisker. Wish I'd read it much sooner in my life. Lays out a new way to approach how and what you spend and how to retire, well, early.
Old 01-05-2011, 11:52 AM   #770
Dryer sheet wannabe

Here's the link: Amazon.com: Early Retirement Extreme: A philosophical and practical guide to financial independence (9781453601211): Jacob Lund Fisker: Books
Old 01-05-2011, 12:40 PM   #771
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I like them too. I just can never remember the names of authors or even characters (like Travis McGee). But for some reason I always remembered the pastel colors in a lot of his titles (lemon colored sky?) with the great accompanying cover art
John Ds Harvard MBA and India deployment during the war put some meat on the bones in his stories

couple of times in my life I recognised some patterns and realised I was the real life sucker in a John D real estate scam.

John D. MacDonald - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 01-05-2011, 05:08 PM   #772
Dryer sheet aficionado

Lincoln at Gettysburg, which won the Pulitzer Prize for Garry Wills.
Old 01-07-2011, 08:10 PM   #773
Give me a forum ...

I am rereading Barney's Version, by Mordechai Richler. I bought the hardcover edition when it was published in 1997 and enjoyed it. Now that it's been made into a movie, I am going to read it again before seeing the movie. I'm a few chapters in and enjoying the irreverence!
Old 01-08-2011, 07:35 AM   #774
Give me a forum ...

Just finished Linda Fairstein's Entombed. She is new to me and a pretty good crime writer - about an 8.0. She is the former chief prosecutor for NY's SVU. This novel tracks the investigation of a twenty year old murder of a young woman buried alive in the basement wall of a building Edgar Allan Poe lived in ala "The Cask of Amontillado," with a concurrent investigation of an upper east side rapist.
Old 01-08-2011, 05:28 PM   #775
Give me a forum ...

I just finished" Unbroken "by Laure Hillenbrand. It's an incredible tale of a survivor of World War two . I could not put it down .
Old 01-14-2011, 10:55 PM   #776
Full time employment: Posting here.

For epidemiology buffs and anyone interested in cities, disease, and how common perceptions steer us wrong, I highly recommend Steven Johnson's The Ghost Map, which discusses the London cholera epidemic of 1854 and "how it changed science, cities, and the modern world." Excellent read, thoughtful and gripping.
Old 01-27-2011, 10:17 AM   #777

Just finished a slim book by Richard Feynman, Six Easy Pieces Amazon.com: Six Easy Pieces: Essentials of Physics By Its Most Brilliant Teacher (9780465023929): Richard P. Feynman: Books. Feynman was a much admired Nobel Prize winning physicist. This is a great little book and it's pretty easy reading too. It's probably not something you'll sit down and read any more then a chapter or few sections at a time. He does a good job of connecting the molecular world we don't see to everyday observable things.

The final chapter on Quantum Mechanics might be a little challenging for some, but it does a great job of discussing the 2 slit experiments and wave-particle duality of matter.
Old 01-27-2011, 10:27 AM   #778
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsbcal View Post
Just finished a slim book by Richard Feynman, Six Easy Pieces Amazon.com: Six Easy Pieces: Essentials of Physics By Its Most Brilliant Teacher (9780465023929): Richard P. Feynman: Books. Feynman was a much admired Nobel Prize winning physicist. This is a great little book and it's pretty easy reading too. It's probably not something you'll sit down and read any more then a chapter or few sections at a time. He does a good job of connecting the molecular world we don't see to everyday observable things.

The final chapter on Quantum Mechanics might be a little challenging for some, but it does a great job of discussing the 2 slit experiments and wave-particle duality of matter.
He is so interesting. I put this book on hold; thanks for mentioning it.

My current nighttime reading is Taras Bulba by Gogol. Very interesting book. Gogol is some enigmatic character!

Ha
Old 01-27-2011, 11:09 AM   #779

Ha, let us know how you like the book. I got mine out of the library too and have now decided to splurge on the $8 purchase .
Old 01-27-2011, 11:41 AM   #780

Richard Feynman was one of my heroes when I was a student and studied physics from his "Lectures on Physics". Bill Gates has made some of his lectures available online for free.