Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 11:07 AM   #781
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Wow, those lectures really look interesting. I just took a peek at the start of the first lecture. Took place at Cornell in 1964 and the introductory video shows the campus plus students going into the lecture hall. I didn't go to Cornell but those pictures of students going into a lecture hall really brought back memories.

I know Feynman was a very entertaining guy. Rare for top physist. I'll definitely watch this. Thanks FIRE'd@51 !
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-27-2011, 12:09 PM   #782
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

"Hollywood Moon" by Wambaugh. It´s very good. Listening to "Fall of Giants" by Follet: So so....
Old 01-27-2011, 12:22 PM   #783
Recycles dryer sheets

Finished this week ...

Think Twice: Harnessing the Power of Counterintuition
Makers
Deluxe: How Luxury Lost Its Luster
Musashi: An Epic Novel of the Samurai Era

If you read a lot, I'd recommend goodreads.com (where I keep track of this). I often find new books to add to the reading list through what my friends are reading there (we have the same interests but more eyes).

Here's my profile on goodreads. Feel free to friend me.
Old 01-27-2011, 02:49 PM   #784

The Photographer's Eye, by Michael Freeman.

Creative Night, by Harold Davis.

Learning to See Creatively, by Bryan Peterson.

Understanding Close-up Photography, by Bryan Peterson.

All photography books, but fascinating photos and techniques in them.
Old 01-27-2011, 03:03 PM   #785
Give me a forum ...

I recently finished two:

Mr. Hooligan by Ian Vasquez - enjoyable Belizean noir fiction. ~8.5
Dead Like You by Peter James - an excellent British detective thriller. ~ 9/9.5

For those quantum theorists above I would recommend Brian Greene's The Fabric of the Cosmos. ~9.0. He has a new one called, The Hidden Reality, but it is not yet available to order from my library.
Old 01-27-2011, 03:14 PM   #786
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicente solano View Post
"Hollywood Moon" by Wambaugh. It´s very good. Listening to "Fall of Giants" by Follet: So so....
Vicente, you rather be Flotsam or Jetsam? Got many tweakers over there in gallegoland?
Old 01-27-2011, 03:45 PM   #787
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Vincent , I think you are a Grishman fan . His newest book "The Confession " is a great read .
Old 01-28-2011, 02:41 AM   #788

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Vicente, you rather be Flotsam or Jetsam? Got many tweakers over there in gallegoland?
I am more into Hollywood Nate. But what I enjoy best in the Hollywood series are the female characters!

By the way, don´t put me to shame by mentioning slangy words like "tweakers" whose meaning I´ve been unable to find out!

Do enlighten me, please. Then I´ll answer the question.
Old 01-28-2011, 02:44 AM   #789

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
Vincent , I think you are a Grishman fan . His newest book "The Confession " is a great read .
Moemg: you are right there. I´ll listen to it once I finish with "Fall of Giants" Given the size of this novel it´ll be a while yet
Old 01-28-2011, 05:53 AM   #790
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I am more into Hollywood Nate. But what I enjoy best in the Hollywood series are the female characters!

By the way, don´t put me to shame by mentioning slangy words like "tweakers" whose meaning I´ve been unable to find out!

Tweakers are methamphetamine addicts.
Old 01-28-2011, 01:34 PM   #791

Quickie by James Patterson and someone else. Enjoyable and a very quick read.
Old 01-29-2011, 08:29 AM   #792
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamer View Post
Quickie by James Patterson and someone else. Enjoyable and a very quick read.
Most of his are both. But I swear they take longer to read than they do to write. He has a new book out pretty much every week. I've wondered at times if Patterson is the name used by a consortium of writers, especially since his topics and styles are all over the map.
Old 01-29-2011, 10:46 AM   #793
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Meth head.

Remember that freaky couple in the diner in Pulp Fiction? Tweakers!

BTW, I am trying to remember any female characters from a Wambaugh book. Who do you like? I do remember one gal who accidentally found a cash cache in the crawl space when trying to do good for an older neighbor. If I can remember, they both lived happily ever after.

Ha
Old 01-29-2011, 10:58 AM   #794
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Most of his are both. But I swear they take longer to read than they do to write. He has a new book out pretty much every week. I've wondered at times if Patterson is the name used by a consortium of writers, especially since his topics and styles are all over the map.

I agree . Some of his books are over the top raunchy and them some are just good mysteries. I haven't read any of his recent books that I thought were great .
Old 01-29-2011, 11:13 AM   #795

For anyone who's not up to the in-depth physics, "Surely You're Joking, Mr. Feynman! (Adventures of a Curious Character)" is a very entertaining look into the mind of this lively, engaging and brilliant man.
Old 01-29-2011, 12:25 PM   #796

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Meth head.

Remember that freaky couple in the diner in Pulp Fiction? Tweakers!

BTW, I am trying to remember any female characters from a Wambaugh book. Who do you like? I do remember one gal who accidentally found a cash cache in the crawl space when trying to do good for an older neighbor. If I can remember, they both lived happily ever after.

Ha
Ha Ha I´m unable to recall any special female character. But the impression that has stuck was that I preferred them to the male ones.
Old 01-29-2011, 01:37 PM   #797
Give me a forum ...

Early last year, I happened to pick up a donated book offered by the local public library for $1. It was Charles Kuralt's America. I decided to save it to read on my first month-long RV trip on Sep 2010. I just now remember to report on it.

Never much of a TV watcher, I barely recalled watching an episode or two of Kuralt's TV show "On the road" many years ago, but I knew of him as a TV reporter. I enjoyed reading America while RV'ing, as it was so appropriate on my trip. It was written by Kuralt after he retired early in 1995 at the age of 60. Yes, he was an early retiree too. He then spent the first year of retirement rotating to one location in the US each month, and wrote about his experience. The 12 locales that he described included New Orleans, Key West, Maine, as well as Montana and Alaska. It is an account of a real traveler, someone that I can never be. Not only that he stayed in a place long enough to observe, he got to know the locals, made friends with them, and got to hear their "stories". As an introvert, I am always a passive observer, though not a cranky unfriendly type.

After reading the book, I wondered what happened to Kuralt. A search on the Web quickly revealed that he died in 1997 of lupus, a sad short 2 years after retirement. If he knew his time was running out when he turned in his notice at CBS, he certainly did not mention of any chronic condition in his book.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
For anyone who's not up to the in-depth physics, "Surely You're Joking, Mr. Feynman! (Adventures of a Curious Character)" is a very entertaining look into the mind of this lively, engaging and brilliant man.
This reminded me that I read of Feynman's exploits many years ago, and the book you mentioned was one of them. I wonder where my copies are. Time to re-read them.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 01-29-2011, 04:22 PM   #798
Gone but not forgotten

I just read " The Hotel on the corner of bitter and sweet " by Jamie Ford . A story about the Japanese internment during the 40's . A great read especially for women .
Old 02-01-2011, 05:51 AM   #799

A good place to find definitions for words like "tweakers"

Urban Dictionary, February 1: You're Probably Right
Old 02-01-2011, 07:32 AM   #800

Thanks