Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 11:02 AM   #801
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I just finished

Amazon.com: Soul Identity eBook: Dennis Batchelder: Kindle Store

on my iPod touch. Mildly entertaining, but mostly stupid (4/10). I can see why it was a free Kindle book.

But I found that I now prefer portrait mode reading with smaller text.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-01-2011, 02:10 PM   #802
Give me a forum ...

Just finished
All the Devil's Are Here: The hidden History of the Financial Crisis, by Bethany McClean and Joe Nocera. This is a solid addition to the raft of books about the crisis. The Big Short is a lot more fun to read but if you are fascinated by the details of the arrogant and careless banksters who almost destroyed us this is a worthy addition to the list. It gets way down into the weeds about what went on where and how the various instruments of destruction were crafted. Interestingly, the crew at Goldman Sachs truly come out as the smartest guys in the room. They helped create the mess but saw the end game coming and covered their butts quite well - at the expense of their clients ("counter-parties in their words) and, ultimately us. Another interesting factoid I was not aware of was that less than 10% of sub-prime loans were to new home buyers. 90% were refinances and second homes. Lots of speculators financed by Wall Street's exotic derivatives.
Old 02-01-2011, 02:34 PM   #803
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Snowblower repair manuals "Maybe your engine isn't seized"
Old 02-01-2011, 03:20 PM   #804
Dryer sheet aficionado

Just finished The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson and started The Girl Who Played With Fire. Next comes The Girl Who Kicked The Hornet's Nest. My son gave me the three books by this author for Christmas. I am surprized that I really am enjoying them very much. Couldn't wait to start the second book after finishing the first. It seems the author finished the three and died of a heart attack.
Old 02-02-2011, 08:40 AM   #805
Moderator Emeritus

If someone hasn't rad The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo yet, the Kindle addition is down to $5.00.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Old 02-03-2011, 08:36 AM   #806
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
the Kindle addition
Got you! It's no fun getting old, is it?
Old 02-03-2011, 11:40 AM   #807
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Hall monitor Al strikes again!
Good one!

Old 02-03-2011, 11:43 AM   #808
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
It's no fun getting old, is it?
I found it quite fun getting old. It's being old that sucks.
Old 02-04-2011, 04:43 PM   #809
Gone but not forgotten

I am reading " The Guersney literary and potato Peel society " by Mary Ann Shalter . If any of the female forum members are looking for a nice read this is it . It is letters sent back and forth between a writer , her friends and a oddly formed Literary group . It's set in the end of World War 2 . It sounds boring and I even delayed starting it but when I did I was hooked . It is a feel good book and a nice easy read .
Old 02-04-2011, 05:17 PM   #810
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

You missed the one where I said that I road my bicycle.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Old 02-04-2011, 05:29 PM   #811
Moderator Emeritus

"Transition", by Ian M. Banks.

Weirdness, from multiple viewpoints. Very well crafted, deliberate writing. The pace may put some off. Some of the weirdness, particularly from the very odd viewpoints of a couple of the characters will certainly put others off.

The story involves an organization called The Concern, which may or may not have our best interests at heart, and the odd ways it meddles in the fate of others.

I think I'll have to wait several months and read it again. I'm pretty sure there are whole layers to this thing that I missed the first time through.
Old 02-05-2011, 05:51 PM   #812

I just finished The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson. I thought that it was a little slow getting into it, but really enjoyed this book. Thanks to whoever it was that recommended it. I love this thread for getting new authors and books.
Old 02-05-2011, 06:13 PM   #813
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post

You missed the one where I said that I road my bicycle.
I noticed it. I made the same error here:

Wife Road Her Age

We're growing old together.
Old 02-09-2011, 12:56 PM   #814

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
I am reading " The Guersney literary and potato Peel society " by Mary Ann Shalter . If any of the female forum members are looking for a nice read this is it . It is letters sent back and forth between a writer , her friends and a oddly formed Literary group . It's set in the end of World War 2 . It sounds boring and I even delayed starting it but when I did I was hooked . It is a feel good book and a nice easy read .
I read that book last year...really enjoyed it and was sorry to come to the end.
Old 02-09-2011, 06:55 PM   #815
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy2bretired View Post
I read that book last year...really enjoyed it and was sorry to come to the end.

If you liked that book I would recommend " Hotel on the corner of Bitter & Sweet " by Jamie Ford .It is also set during World War 2 and just a nice read .
Old 02-12-2011, 09:13 AM   #816
Give me a forum ...

An Ice-Cream War by William Boyd. Almost every book I've read by this author has been thoroughly enjoyable. This is about two brothers on the eve of WW1. The family has a military background and one brother marries but then is called up to ship off to Africa. British East Africa is just above German East Africa. The other brother guiltily looks forward to going to Oxford and avoiding the military and his family. Boyd is good at understatement and events in his book are a lot like life, a bit unpredictable and requires the reader to guess at the meaning of some events.

Other good books by this author (might have written about them above) are: Ordinary Thunderstorms, Restless, and Brazzaville Beach.
Old 02-19-2011, 07:10 PM   #817
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamer View Post
I just finished The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson. I thought that it was a little slow getting into it, but really enjoyed this book. Thanks to whoever it was that recommended it. I love this thread for getting new authors and books.

I also found it a little hard to get into but it was an excellent read .
Old 02-19-2011, 09:58 PM   #818
Full time employment: Posting here.

Currently reading Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet because of the recommendation earlier in this thread. I am enjoying it. Very poignant.
Old 02-20-2011, 10:50 AM   #819

Just finished "Fall of giants" by K. Follet. Took me some time. Too long for what it narrates. Wouldn´t recommend it. I am halfway of "Scat" by C. Hiaassen: Light entertaining read for children, in the style of "Hoot" and "Flush".
Old 02-20-2011, 12:42 PM   #820

Just finished "The Cookbook Collector" by Allegra Goodman. Loved it! It is a very appealing contemporary romantic tale of two very different sisters, and I found it to be so witty and funny that I could not put it down.
Closed Thread