Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-05-2011, 11:57 AM   #921

Three I've just read:

Vagabonding by Rolf Potts. This is a must for travelers. I had so many "aha" moments when reading this and understanding what motivates people to step off the normal treadmill of life & work to really experience the world around us. I really enjoy Potts' essays and stories, and this is a nice collection of his thoughts on why we travel.

Twelve by Twelve by William Powell. This one had a lot going for it, but I had to withhold some of my annoyance at his "woo woo" thinking in a few places. Excellent points about distilling life down to what you really need in the physical sense to allow you to develop greater insight into your emotional/mental space needs. I really enjoyed his journey of a year in a tiny cabin in the NC hinterlands.

Six Months Off (3 authors I'm too lazy to spell) this one I've read before and enjoyed re-reading in preparation for lobbying DH to quit at the end of the year. I like the idea of formulating what you really want to accomplish in time off (a lot like the Retire Happy Wild and Free "tree" concept).

Still waiting for DH to give me back Swamplandia, dang it!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-12-2011, 10:03 PM   #922
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Finished Sue Grafton's Amazon.com: U is for Undertow (9780425238110): Sue Grafton: Books . You might like the short interview with Grafton you can read at this Amazon link. It makes me feel like she's a real nice person and someone I could probably feel comfortable with.

One of the recurring themes in Grafton's books is the strange ways we choose to deal with the teenage years and how we develop from those formative and often painful times. Kinsey, her main character, seems to be constantly reflecting on how she grew up and how she is developing as an adult. I just find Grafton's views on human quirks to be very refreshing. Not that I'm less then perfect myself .

This book was one of her best in my opinion, definitely 5 stars.

Old 05-12-2011, 10:24 PM   #923
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I am currently reading Thinking in Pictures (expanded edition): My life with Autism, by Temple Grandin. It's very interesting to see things from her point of view. She is an amazingly intelligent woman and this book is a wonderful contribution to our understanding of autism spectrum disorders and about the human mind in general.

It's the first book I'm reading on my Kindle and I am very much enjoying the technology too.
Old 05-13-2011, 04:23 PM   #924
Give me a forum ...

I just read "The Fifth Witness " by Michael Connelly . It was not as good as his previous books . It was just okay !
Old 05-15-2011, 01:19 PM   #925
Give me a forum ...

I just finished

Amazon.com: Endgame: Bobby Fischer's Remarkable Rise and Fall - from America's Brightest Prodigy to the Edge of Madness (9780307463906): Frank Brady: Books.

(library eBook).

It was quite interesting and enjoyable, although long. I'd forgotten what had happened with Fischer, so for me, it was suspenseful. I had really been into chess during college, and I realize that that is when Fischer spurred the chess boom around the world. I had also learned chess with his excellent book

Amazon.com: Bobby Fischer Teaches Chess (9780923891602): Bobby Fischer, Stuart Margulies, Donn Mosenfelder: Books

It's fun to be able to check out photos of Fischer from the different times in his life, see him on Dick Cavett (youtube), or watch his most celebrated game (when he was 13) analyzed:

It also sounds like he had Asperger's, and he was definitely whacked out in the last half of his life. Too bad someone couldn't treat him for his mental illness.

It's gotten me a bit interested in chess, and I've put a free chess app on my iPod touch.
Old 05-15-2011, 06:26 PM   #926

Currently reading Three Seconds by Roslund & Hellstrom - a continuation of the Superintendent Ewert Grens series.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 05:55 PM   #927
Give me a forum ...

Just finished " Minding Frankie " by Maeve Binchy . I really like how all her books interconnect characters . They make you want to fly to Ireland and meet these people at the local pub.
Old 05-16-2011, 08:35 PM   #928
Full time employment: Posting here.

Just finished An Unfinished Life by Mark Spragg - was rushing to finish it before my cataract surgery tomorrow. It is very beautifully written and though I have not seen the movie, I felt I was just standing at edge and looking at the screen and watched the whole movie with background narration. The main characters are 2 men over 70s (acted out by Robert Redford and Morgan Freeman in the movie), a woman (in her 30s and a child who is around 10). This is a good read about family and forgiveness.
Old 05-16-2011, 08:49 PM   #929

Just read "The Perfect Nazi" by Martin Davidson. The authors grandfather who the rest of the family never mentioned his past, turned out to have been an SS (and even worse and SD Officer) in WWII. The author's main point is that the Nazi regime would not have run without ordinary people like his grandfather who were the cogs of the machine.
Old 05-17-2011, 05:35 PM   #930
Recycles dryer sheets

Trombone Al
I have been on a very low carb WOE for 9 months now. No grains, rice, or white potatoes. I eat an occasional small yam, a few berries. Mostly eat fats, beef, pork, seafood, high fat dairy, and vegetables.

I have lost 40 lbs. and no longer have diabetic BG levels. After about a month to transition into this WOE, it became very easy as I lost my cravings for high carb foods.

PS I have read both Taubes books, the second is a much easier read.
Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies, The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.
C.S. Lewis
crispus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 06:00 PM   #931
Recycles dryer sheets

I listen to a lot of audiobooks during the long commute to work (only 325 days left but who's counting). Right now I'm listening to The Help by Kathryn (sp?) Stockett. It's about life in Mississippi in the early 60s and the impact of segregation on their lives.

Amazingly interesting for a book with minimal plot lines - I highly recommend it.
Old 05-19-2011, 01:14 PM   #932
Give me a forum ...

Free classic on my Kindle: Sacred and profane love, by Benedict Arnold. Well written but politically incorrect.

Summary: Teen falls for pop idol, inherits money, moves away to evade scandal, becomes a famous writer, falls for married publisher who commits suicide, escapes to Paris where she takes up with the now alcoholic down and out ex pop idol, rehabilitates him, writes lyrics for his opera and takes a back seat to his comeback.

I hate sycophantic women!
Old 05-21-2011, 06:24 PM   #933

"100 Modern American Poets Reading their Poems" Volume III. Not bad. Not bad at all. You get a brief bio of each poet, then a few of their poems, read by the actual poet.
Old 05-22-2011, 06:59 AM   #934
Give me a forum ...

Just read City of Fear, by David Hewson who is new to me. It is a terroism thriller set in Rome. Good enough that I will check out more of Hewson's novels. The plot is so thick with conspiracies that you have to suspend disbelief. but I recommend that readers check out the author's afterword before reading the book. It won't spoil anything but when you see how rife Italy was with post WWII spy conspiracies and criminal corruption the novel takes on a new realism.
Old 05-23-2011, 01:31 PM   #935
Give me a forum ...

Finding Nouf, by Zoe Ferraris (on my Kindle). It's a detective story set in Saudi Arabia, where the author has lived. It's an entertaining story and an interesting setting, but Miss Katya Hijazi (the technician working in the medical examiner's office) in particular seems to be speaking with a Western voice. Three stars out of five.
Old 05-25-2011, 01:19 PM   #936

"The secrets of Harry Bright" by J. Wambaugh. Not one of his best, but still a good read.
Old 05-30-2011, 08:08 PM   #937

Post on good books you've read lately.

Didn't we have a post on something about what good books have you read. I did a search and can't find it.

Actually, I am looking for some good audio books. I don't like science fiction, horror or anything thing with blood and guts. I like a good court room drama, but don't like books with cops or detectives who talk like the Jersey Shore guys.

Some audio books I really enjoyed.

1. "The Help" (my favorite)
2. The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks
3. The Politician (about John Edwards - soon to have a sequel I'm sure)
4, Better (non fiction about a doctor practicing medicine)
5. Picking Cotton
6. Deadly Spin by Wendell Potter (not on audio I don't think)
7. Griftopia by Mat Taibbi of Rolling Stone (very good)
8, Wishful Drinking, by Carrie Fisher (very funny)

Any recommendations guys, or at least point me to old post.
Old 05-31-2011, 06:56 PM   #938
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by modhatter View Post
I like a good court room drama
I would recommend anything by William Bernhardt.
Old 06-01-2011, 04:14 PM   #939
Give me a forum ...

Amazon.com: You've Gone Too Far This Time, Sir! eBook: Danny Bent: Kindle Store

This is a free kindle book. I've read many walk/bike/motorcycle around the world type books, and this is one of the best. This guy is very tough, a little crazy, and willing to put up with a lot. He almost dies at several points. He keeps going even with the worst dysentery imaginable in places with non-existent or overflowing facilities.

But the main benefit of this book is that it reminds you of the absolute squalor in which most people on this planet live. People cooking in tents made of plastic bags on the polluted streets of major cities.

It makes you appreciate waking up in a clean bed in a huge house.

9/10.
Old 06-01-2011, 04:41 PM   #940
Give me a forum ...

Anna Karenina. They do not make them like this any more.

Also just finished The Dogs of Riga, part mystery, part international intrigue. Pretty good, but an older one so those of you read Henning Mankell have likely alrady read it.

Ha