Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-01-2011, 05:44 PM   #941
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Amazon.com: You've Gone Too Far This Time, Sir! eBook: Danny Bent: Kindle Store

This is a free kindle book. I've read many walk/bike/motorcycle around the world type books, and this is one of the best.
Thanks Al. I found a free ePub version for my Nook on Smashwords. I loved Miles from Nowhere, so I look forward to this one.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-02-2011, 11:26 AM   #942
Administrator

Quote:
He almost dies at several points. He keeps going even with the worst dysentery imaginable in places with non-existent or overflowing facilities.
What a story, and how reminiscent of the thread about the horrors of traveling! Been there, done that, and after such misery I can sure sympathize with his plight.

Thanks for the tip about the free book, Al.

Old 06-02-2011, 12:16 PM   #943
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Dysentery? You want dysentery?

1963, hitchhiking in Turkey, two of us snagged a ride at night, on TOP of a truck travelling through the mountains. The load had a tarp over it, which was secured by ropes; we lay in our sleeping bags with one arm each under a rope so we didn't slide off...and watched the stars as the truck swayed back and forth around tight bends.......really good for the intestines.

I'd picked up the runs in Genoa, had them on and off since then, and the truck dropped us off in a small town just before dawn. I had to go, and I mean I HAD to go......ran down a side street, (well, maybe not 'ran'...more like the old Chuck Berry 'Duck Walk'), as lights started to come on and I could hear voices......no choice....dropped trou in the middle of an alley.

(Didn't finally get shot of the runs until I had 'egg & chips' in a Chinese restaurant in Quetta, Pakistan, quite some time later.)

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 06:42 PM   #944
Give me a forum ...

The Power of Passive Investing by Rick Ferri. Draws a big line between active and passive investors.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 09:06 PM   #945
Full time employment: Posting here.

Amazon.com: Mini Farming: Self-Sufficiency on 1/4 Acre (9781602399846): Brett L. Markham: Books - A very good survey of the basics of what to grow and how. Includes information on raised beds, starting seeds, examples of crop rotation, cover crops, raising and slaughtering chickens. I'd consider it a very introductory book and not worth your time if you've been gardening for more than a year or two.

Amazon.com: The Backyard Homestead: Produce all the food you need on just a quarter acre! (9781603421386): Carleen Madigan: Books - Another survey book. This one covers more topics but at much less depth than Mr. Markham's work. I'd suggest this one is more suitable for someone living in a slightly more rural setting. It includes some basic information on goats, cows and pigs. Also has some information on food preservation. If your neighbors wouldn't mind a front yard full of wheat, then this book is a decent purchase. It's from the Storey County folks and I've enjoyed most of their little handbooks.

Amazon.com: Truman (9780671869205): David McCullough: Books - I'm a big fan of Mr. McCullough's work and this one is no exception. The tone of this book might strike one as very pro-Truman, but I've generally found the tone of his books to be set more from the vantage of the main character and so I expected it going in. At 1100 pages, it's certainly a tome, but none of it felt like a slog. I wouldn't rate it as high as, say, his John Adams work, but it's still very well done.
Old 06-03-2011, 11:03 PM   #946
Full time employment: Posting here.

So far this year, I've read:

The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks, about the HeLa cell culture line and the woman it came from (and her family). It's got interesting science, and even more interesting social issues raised. Well done, even if it does meander a bit in the middle.

Game of Thrones, by George R.R. Martin. Well-done, but very, very medieval. They've got the whole barbarian pentathlon in there: Murder, rape, pillage, torture, plunder. And you have to assume that every character you love will die a gruesome, medieval death, with no detail spared. First of a series that the author is still writing. I normally cringe from topics like this, and I found the book irresistible. Can't wait to start on the rest of the series.

The Checklist Manifesto: A guide to getting things right, by Atul Gawande. I find Atul Gawande one of the best writers about medicine around today. He occasionally write for the New Yorker, when he's not busy being a surgeon and all that. This book is about how simple checklists can increase positive results in complicated situations (like surgery, flight, emergencies and -- yes -- investing). It's a lively, interesting read and one I'd highly recommend.

365 Thank Yous, by John Kralik. Here's the short version: This guy is an attorney. His life is in the crapper. He's not sure what to do. He decides to write 365 thank you notes in a year. He does this, more or less. His life begins to get a lot better. Liked the story, but felt that the writing and editing of the book left quite a lot to be desired. Upside: it's not a big book, and it's an easy read to get through in an evening. A fine take-it-on-the-plane-and-leave-it-for-the-next-person-book.

And I just started Carsten Jensens's "We, the Drowned," a 678-page Nordic seafaring saga. On page 10. Love it already -- witty, quick and interesting so far. We'll see how I feel in a few hundred pages.

Oh, and I've burned through about six period romances by Lisa Kleypas, which are all set in Victorian England and are all quite entertaining, but are all basically the same book. You know how it is with those romances.
Old 06-04-2011, 11:25 AM   #947

You've really been doing a lot Urchina. Haven't tried the romance genre myself.

Just finished Ruth Rendell's Amazon.com: Not in the Flesh (Vintage Crime/Black Lizard) (9780307388780): Ruth Rendell: Books
I think this it is one of her best in the Inspector Wexford mystery series. The subplot about female genital mutilation as practiced by many Somalians (in this case) was a bit graphic for me -- too sensitive a soul I guess.
Old 06-04-2011, 12:37 PM   #948
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urchina View Post
So far this year, I've read:

The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks, about the HeLa cell culture line and the woman it came from (and her family). It's got interesting science, and even more interesting social issues raised. Well done, even if it does meander a bit in the middle.
That was one of the most interesting books that I have read this year. I agree with your "meander" comment but otherwise I could not put it down even tho I was familiar with the general history of HL.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 03:19 PM   #949
Give me a forum ...

Just finished Lisa Scottline's " Save Me " . It was a can't put down mystery .
Old 06-04-2011, 05:53 PM   #950

Lots of Civil War related materials in the bookstores this year. Being a biography buff, I just finished "Civil War Wives" (Carol Berkin), which gives an intimate overview of the lives of Angelina Grimke Weld, Varina Howell Davis and Julia Dent Grant. I think I might take a road trip down the Lincoln Highway before the snow flies again and visit the Gettysburg battlefield. It has been ages since I have been there, and I have never visited the Eisenhower farm at all.
Old 06-05-2011, 06:49 PM   #951
Give me a forum ...

This is embarrassing. I just finished

Amazon.com: Surviving the Fog eBook: Stan Morris: Books

It's a free Kindle book.

What's embarrassing is that it took me a while to realize that it was "Young Adult Fiction," and by the time I did, I was already hooked into the plot. It had two of my favorite themes: (1) A world in which 95% or more of the earth's population dies off, and (2) surviving in the wilderness with clever solutions to problems.

It starts off with about 50 teenagers in a mountain camp. All the adults go off for supplies and never return.

7/10.
Old 06-05-2011, 06:51 PM   #952
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:

What's embarrassing is that it took me a while to realize that it was "Young Adult Fiction," and by the time I did, I was already hooked into the plot.
Some people never grow up...

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension

REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 07:01 PM   #953
Give me a forum ...

And I thought Winnie the Pooh was a financial book. Good read, though.
Old 06-05-2011, 08:30 PM   #954

Quote:
...(snip)....
It starts off with about 50 teenagers in a mountain camp. All the adults go off for supplies and never return.
Nothing to be embarrassed about IMO. I'd like to read the sequel where the adults come wondering back having survived bravely. Then they find that the some of the teenagers (some are missing) with terrible secrets they're trying to hide -- hints of cannibalism and descent into chaos and anarchy. Sort of the Zits comic strip on steroids .
Old 06-05-2011, 10:19 PM   #955
Give me a forum ...

I finished up two ebooks on this latest trip

Fat, Forty and Fired by Nigel Marsh. A pretty entertaining read of a 40 year old British/Aussie advertising exec who took a year off to smell the roses and sample the ER life. I am positive that recommendation came from the forum, and I think the author was on the forum. Can anybody verify this?

The Heart and the Fist: The education of a humanitarian, the making of a Navy SEAL
By Eric Greitens.

This is a great book if you want to feel humbled, inspired, or think you have too many things going on in your life. Eric is a bright idealistic college student, who goes to Duke to study philosophy. During his summer he goes to volunteer at Bosnia, Rwanda, and Gaza (with Mother Teressa missions) and other garden spots. He then gets a Rhodes scholarship and goes to Oxford to get his PHd writing his dissertation on humanitarian aid policy. During this time he continues his travels and volunteer efforts to other places like streets of Bolivia, Calcutta, and Albania.

Early on in his humanitarian efforts he is told by a Bosnian man that while he appreciate all the good things that aid workers provided, what the US really needs to is protect people from the bad people who rape woman, and kill the men. By early 2001, reflecting on the mans request from years early Eric decided to become a Navy SEAL at the age of 26. Eric does a great job describing the joys of Navy SEAL training. He then gets deployed to other top tourist sites, Afghanistan, Fallujah,Kenya/Somalia, and islands in the Philippines tracking down Islamic terrorist.

After transferring to the reserves, he goes on to found a charitable organization. The Mission Continues, America’s leading organization for helping wounded and disabled warriors serve their country as citizen leaders here at home.

It says something about what remarkable life the young man has had by the age of 35, that he leaves out any details about his stint as White House fellow, teaching, Albania, marathon running, and very little about his personal life.
Old 06-05-2011, 11:59 PM   #956
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
This is embarrassing. I just finished

Surviving the Fog

What's embarrassing is that it took me a while to realize that it was "Young Adult Fiction," and by the time I did, I was already hooked into the plot.
That's OK Al. While I was tootling around on those small planes last week I reread Alice in Wonderland on my Kindle. It's even better now than it was when I was four.

Old 06-06-2011, 11:05 AM   #957

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifp View Post
Got my library request in. I'm number 40, must be a popular book.
Old 06-06-2011, 12:47 PM   #958
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
That's OK Al. While I was tootling around on those small planes last week I reread Alice in Wonderland on my Kindle. It's even better now than it was when I was four.

Last year I re-read several of the Oz books by L. Frank Baum on my Kindle. I really, really enjoyed reading them again.
Old 06-06-2011, 08:36 PM   #959

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Last year I re-read several of the Oz books by L. Frank Baum on my Kindle. I really, really enjoyed reading them again.
Hi W2R, I recall you mentioned before retirement (might be wrong on this) that you didn't do fiction. Are you turning over a new leaf in ER?
Old 06-06-2011, 08:52 PM   #960
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
Hi W2R, I recall you mentioned before retirement (might be wrong on this) that you didn't do fiction. Are you turning over a new leaf in ER?
As before, the vast majority of the books that I read are nonfiction. I supplement these with some classics that are fiction, such as Moby Dick (the source of my signature line) and other fiction. I also read comedy and especially enjoy Dave Barry. I'd say there's a heavy fictional component in his books.

If I had to guess, I'd say 95% of the books that I read are nonfiction. If I said that nonfiction is all that I ever read and that I never ever ever read fiction, then I must have been having a brain cramp. Here is my original report in this thread about reading the Oz books.