Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 08:30 PM   #961
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

DW likes Dave Berry too.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-06-2011, 09:02 PM   #962
Full time employment: Posting here.

Just read the 15th Jack Reacher book Worth Dying For by Lee Child. It was pretty good. Now starting on the 1000 page tome of The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson.
Old 06-09-2011, 03:04 PM   #963
Give me a forum ...

The Devil's Light, by Richard North Patterson. Pretty good standard issue Patterson thriller. Osama Bin Laden has commissioned a key follower to steal and use a nuclear weapon from Pakistan and our hero tracks it down. Trumped a bit by OBL's demise but not bad if you like these things.
Old 06-09-2011, 03:10 PM   #964
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnieboy View Post
Just read the 15th Jack Reacher book Worth Dying For by Lee Child.
If you like Reacher you'll love Volk

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Old 06-12-2011, 01:59 PM   #965
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoDaresWins View Post
Lots of Civil War related materials in the bookstores this year. Being a biography buff, I just finished "Civil War Wives" (Carol Berkin), which gives an intimate overview of the lives of Angelina Grimke Weld, Varina Howell Davis and Julia Dent Grant. I think I might take a road trip down the Lincoln Highway before the snow flies again and visit the Gettysburg battlefield. It has been ages since I have been there, and I have never visited the Eisenhower farm at all.
Back when I went to Lee-Davis High School and we used to play Varina in various sports I thought it was pretty funny, the husband/wife dynamic. Everybody I ever mentioned it to looked at me like I was an alien. I think I was the only one that was awake during the Civil War parts of History class.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnieboy View Post
Now starting on the 1000 page tome of The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson.
I just went back and re-read the entire Wheel of Time series (12 books, app. 900 pages each) in preparation for Brandon Sanderson's last book writing for the deceased Robert Jordan. I was about 2/3 of the way through the series when I discovered he wasn't finishing it with this book. I was pretty unhappy, but finished the series and his new next-to-the-last book anyway. Amazon.com: Towers of Midnight (Wheel of Time, Book Thirteen) (9780765325945): Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson: Books Hopefully I can keep all the subplots straight long enough for him to finish the last one. I'd hate to have to start over again.
Old 06-13-2011, 06:57 AM   #966

Best Business Practices for Photographers by John Harrington.

It's a good reality check for anyone contemplating turning a hobby into a vocation. The numbers are sobering and explain why a pro photographer must charge $3K+ for shooting a wedding, and he'd better deliver a fine product.

I'm not gonna quit my day job....
Old 07-03-2011, 07:17 PM   #967
Full time employment: Posting here.

Slumdog Millionaire by Vikas Swarup

This fiction is called Q & A and now better known as Slumdog Millionaire after the highly successful movie. Highly recommended reading. For those who watched the movie and liked it, I say, do read the book - it's better. The writing is superb - fast, witty, gripping and awakening. You get angry about the injustices and the life of the underpriviledged in India and you cheer on the hero through his amazing adventures as a street-kid.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Slumdog Millionaire.jpg (320.6 KB, 9 views)
Old 07-03-2011, 09:12 PM   #968
Recycles dryer sheets

Currently reading "Third-World America" by Arianna Huffington. Grabbed it at the library while looking for another book recommended here. Infuriating info, and sobering.
Old 07-03-2011, 09:42 PM   #969
Moderator Emeritus

I'm reading a free Kindle book, Le Robinson Suisse, ou Histoire d'une Famille Suisse Naufragee (The Swiss Family Robinson, in French) by Johann David Wyss.

The idea is to read something in French that I wouldn't have to struggle with. With my knowledge of French being pretty rusty right now, I would require a dictionary at my elbow for many of the French classics. Even Dumas was more than I wanted to tackle right now. This is just right - - easier to read along at a reasonable pace without having to stop and look things up, and yet still allowing one to learn a little along the way.

So far, so good. One of the things I had on my list for retirement was brushing up on my French.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 07-04-2011, 05:40 AM   #970
Give me a forum ...

I read, The Unit, recommended here. Quite an interesting dystopian view. Well worth a read. Also finished Carte Blanche, Deaver's take on a Bond book - fun read.
Old 07-04-2011, 08:47 AM   #971
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I'm reading a free Kindle book, Le Robinson Suisse, ou Histoire d'une Famille Suisse Naufragee (The Swiss Family Robinson, in French) by Johann David Wyss.

The idea is to read something in French that I wouldn't have to struggle with. ...
I'm impressed. I took French classes a few years ago and couldn't even get much into a French children's book. Found out I could get A's in class but have no natural language proficiency -- I think I'm low IQ when it comes to processing spoken language and remembering foreign words.
----

Read The World According to Bertie . IMO this is McCall Smith at his best, very funny and a nice change from the world news. One should probably first read the earlier ones in his 44 Scotland Street series, starting with 44 Scotland Street
Old 07-04-2011, 11:08 AM   #972
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
I'm impressed. I took French classes a few years ago and couldn't even get much into a French children's book. Found out I could get A's in class but have no natural language proficiency -- I think I'm low IQ when it comes to processing spoken language and remembering foreign words.
You'd think that living in New Orleans, I'd get plenty of practice in French. It's around me all the time! Well, sometimes, anyway. But the local French here is to Parisian French, as Hawaiian pidgeon English is to the Queen's English. By that I mean that our local French has words and phrases from other languages thrown in, and its own accent and usages and slang, so it is not really helpful in improving my schoolgirl Parisian French.

Old 07-24-2011, 01:53 PM   #973
Give me a forum ...

Recently finished this

Amazon.com: The Stand (9780307743688): Stephen King: Books

This was a heavy book, literally, over 1000 pages. Good, but a little slow in the middle. I got the "complete uncut" version -- if you can get the regular version go with that. Best would be an eBook.

9/10.
Old 07-24-2011, 02:10 PM   #974
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I just read Unbroken by Hillenbrand. It's very good. It's a story about a WWII hero and written by the woman who wrote Seabiscuit. I think anyone who likes a good story would like it. I don't want to give much away of the story.
Old 07-24-2011, 02:30 PM   #975
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ally View Post
I just read Unbroken by Hillenbrand. It's very good. It's a story about a WWII hero and written by the woman who wrote Seabiscuit. I think anyone who likes a good story would like it. I don't want to give much away of the story.
I've never noticed so many reviews on Amazon and such a positive response. Will get in line at the library, I'm number 191 on the request list but there are 20 copies in the system .
Old 07-24-2011, 02:57 PM   #976
Administrator

Quote:
Just read this while on vacation. I would recommend it highly.
Old 07-24-2011, 03:11 PM   #977
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Recently finished this

Amazon.com: The Stand (9780307743688): Stephen King: Books

This was a heavy book, literally, over 1000 pages. Good, but a little slow in the middle. I got the "complete uncut" version -- if you can get the regular version go with that. Best would be an eBook.

9/10.
One of my all time favorites. It took forever to read the uncut version, but it was such a good book that I didn't care. Really made me think about a lot of things.

Old 07-24-2011, 04:12 PM   #978
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
I read it when it first came out . Excellent book !
Old 07-24-2011, 08:26 PM   #979
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Thanks for the recommendations everyone! I read the sample on my Kindle and decided that this is a book I definitely want to read, so I've downloaded it.

I've recently finished George Eliot's Middlemarch, which would probably be at least 500 pages in book form. It took me a while to get into it, but the characters were well developed. And yes, everything did turn out well in the end.
Old 07-25-2011, 05:59 AM   #980
Give me a forum ...

Read a couple of the Scandinavian detective novels that have become popular since "Girl With the Dragon Tattoo" took off. "A Troubled Man," by Henning Mankell, is the last of the Kurt Wallender novels and a very good read. Wallender is investigating a modern day disappearance and a murder that seem to be connected to a cold war spying ring. "The Snowman," by Jo Nesbo, features detective Harry Hole in pursuit of a serial killer. Excellent read. I have read others by both Mankell and Nesbo and can recommend them both for mystery/thriller fans.