Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-05-2011, 07:58 PM   #1141
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Criag Ferguson's "American on purpose". His autobiography. Actually quite a page turner. Both humorous and sad. He came very close to self destruction and is where he is today only because he had a dream.
Yes, I agree. Remarkable story. After reading that, it's fun to find YouTube videos of his old performances, (e.g. as Bing Hitler), when he was usually quite stoned.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-07-2011, 11:17 AM   #1142
Confused about dryer sheets

I've read a lot of books in my time and my all time favorite book is called "He and I" The Author is Gabrielle Bossis. Its an incredible book and it has change many peoples lives! Its a fiction book about a womens diary with God and how she had a gift that she could here the voice of God and how he basically walked her through life. Its really an amazing book. Read the reviews on it, its nothing but great things.

Old 12-07-2011, 11:45 AM   #1143
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moscyn View Post
....In one of the paragraphs in her last chapter, she writes "Our whole lives were set up to give us every possible opportunity to do the right thing, to mature into good people. God didn't care how or where we did it, just long as we did. He gave us a series of choices. We had to take what we were and what we had and do the best we could with them. There were no extra bonus points for visibility or magnitude. I'd always aimed for the big score, but now I understood better."....
This is so beautiful.

Bestwifeever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 06:56 AM   #1144
Give me a forum ...

Lost in Shangri La is quite a good read. It is a true story about the rescue of a WAC and two men who were in a plane that crashed in a "lost" valley in New Guinea in WWII. Great adventure story and an interesting look at cultural miscues in both directions.
Old 12-09-2011, 08:32 AM   #1145

Oh, man I loved Lost in Shangri-La and suggested it a bunch of pages back to some of the WWII enthusiasts on the board. Didn't you love it?

Have been reading the Paul Theroux collection the Tao of Travel and find it very interesting. It is a beautifully bound little book, which would make it a great gift for the traveler in your life. I have a library copy, but it is really quite nice. Love all the quotes and stories.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 09:50 AM   #1146
Give me a forum ...

Also recently finished The Burning. A series debut by Jane Casey, featuring Maeve Kerrigan, a British-Irish homicide detective. Kerrigan is investigating the murder of a young woman that she thinks has been disguised to look like one the the "Burning Man" serial killings. Pretty good police procedural although I guessed the outcome pretty early on.
Old 12-09-2011, 11:23 AM   #1147
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Started reading "The Hunger Games" trilogy by Suzanne Collins. Fiction and sort of futuristic. Setting is in the ruins of a place once known as North America but now called Panem. Thirteen districts all charged with producing goods and materials to support "The Capitol". Many decades prior, one of the districts revolted against "The Capitol" and was abolished. To remind all residents of all districts what can happen if they revolt, the Capitol holds what they call "The Hunger Games" every year. Every year, each district, in a random drawing, choose 2 people to participate. Don't want to give the book away. :-). Not my typical read....but interesting in light of our world today.
Old 12-09-2011, 01:51 PM   #1148
Give me a forum ...

E.M. Forster Room With A View. Nobody does satire like the English, it keeps me guffawing. I believe this likely is not intentional or even mainly satire, but it is hard to behold the Edwardians without laughing.

Love these Kindle freebies.

Ha
Old 12-09-2011, 03:44 PM   #1149
Give me a forum ...

I just finished Heart in the Right Place, and enjoyed it. I think the author made a reasonable choice (to give up her lawyer career and become a receptionist at her dad's small town doctor's office), but I'm not sure it was the best choice. She makes a good point that a lot of people would suffer if she went back to being a lawyer. OTOH, she foresaw that the medical practice would self-destruct soon anyway (all the patients were old and dying, and the economics didn't work).
Old 12-09-2011, 03:47 PM   #1150
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
E.M. Forster Room With A View. Nobody does satire like the English, it keeps me guffawing. I believe this likely is not intentional or even mainly satire, but it is hard to behold the Edwardians without laughing.

Love these Kindle freebies.

Ha
thanks for the kindle tip..
The movie w/ Helena Bonham Carter is very good too if you have not seen it.
Old 12-09-2011, 03:49 PM   #1151
Give me a forum ...

Er I hesitate to mention this - purchased in Port Townsend having been convinced by by Sister to visit some of the artsy fartsy shops.

How the Hippies Saved Physics by David Kaiser an MIT prof.

A little 'spooky action at a distance' aka John Stuart Bell and his theorem, some crazy sponsors of physicists when times were hard - CIA, Esalen et al, and the return of the thought experiment.

finance quant types into computer trading history and frontiers might be interested.

heh heh heh - Port Townsend reminds me of some of the 'tourist shops' along stretches of Royal, and Magazine streets in New Orleans in their hey day.

Also read Failure IS Not An Option by Gene Krantz - brought back some memories even though I wasn't an operations cat.
Old 12-09-2011, 04:21 PM   #1152

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
She makes a good point that a lot of people would suffer if she went back to being a lawyer.
Her law clients?

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 05:08 PM   #1153
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mh View Post
thanks for the kindle tip..
The movie w/ Helena Bonham Carter is very good too if you have not seen it.
I agree, it was very good. I quite like Helena Bonham Carter, and have enjoyed all her movies that I have seen.
Ha
Old 12-09-2011, 07:36 PM   #1154

A sixty or so page manual for my new Tmobile cell phone.
Old 12-09-2011, 07:40 PM   #1155

Quote:
I just read The Caine Mutiny. I remember seeing the movie with Humphrey Bogart as Captain Queeg in the 50s.

It's been a long time, but I think the book is much better. I believe that Herman Wouk is not just a good writer, but a great writer.

Ha
It was a great movie. Book is even better? Have to make room for it on the list.
"Who stole the strawberries?"
Old 12-09-2011, 11:23 PM   #1156
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
Lost in Shangri La is quite a good read. It is a true story about the rescue of a WAC and two men who were in a plane that crashed in a "lost" valley in New Guinea in WWII. Great adventure story and an interesting look at cultural miscues in both directions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
Oh, man I loved Lost in Shangri-La and suggested it a bunch of pages back to some of the WWII enthusiasts on the board. Didn't you love it?
I don't really read that many books, but saw a recc for this earlier on this or some other thread here and checked it out of the library. Couldn't put it down, Fascinating stuff. FIL might have been in New Guinea at the time of the story (he was a SeaBee in NG and the Philippines).

Great blend of military history, anthropology and just an interesting look into how different things were in the 1940's.

-ERD50
Old 12-14-2011, 10:16 PM   #1157
Give me a forum ...

I just finished an excellent RE book:

Your Retirement Income Blueprint

by Daryl Diamond (2011).

It has excellent plans to structure income in a tax efficient way. It's Canadian content, so YMMV. I read it on Kindle, and then downloaded some of the summary points on my laptop.
Old 12-15-2011, 01:29 AM   #1158
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
I agree, it was very good. I quite like Helena Bonham Carter, and have enjoyed all her movies that I have seen.
Ha
Excepting the harry potter movies I am in complete agreement w/ you there.
Old 12-15-2011, 04:48 PM   #1159
Give me a forum ...

Dame Stella Rimington, an MI5 careerist (rising thru the ranks to eventually become the Director General), is a good spy-action writer. Rip Tide follows a jihadist conspiracy involving a radical Mosque in Birmingham, Somali pirates and Greek shipping. A good read built on years of experience. It is one of a series featuring MI5 agent Liz Carlyle - I will have to try some more.
Old 12-15-2011, 05:55 PM   #1160

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
Dame Stella Rimington
+1 I enjoy her books.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote