Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 12-15-2011, 05:36 PM   #1161
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Rimington also has an autobiography out: Amazon.com: Open Secret: The Autobiography of the Former Director-General of MI5 (9780099436720): Stella Rimington: Books
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-15-2011, 07:09 PM   #1162
Give me a forum ...

I finished a couple of non-fiction books recently. Moneyball (also a movie) now I am not a baseball fan, but I've enjoyed all of Michael Lewis books and this one was no exception. I think if you are big baseball fan this is a must read.

I also read Rawhide Down which was is about the assassination attempt on Ronald Reagan. It actually was a very detailed look at what the Secret Service did that and to me the most interesting part was a minute by minute account of the ER team at George Washington hospital. Fortunately for the the President and the country the GW ER was just modernize a couple of years before Reagan was shot and was one of the top 10 ERs in the country, if Reagan had been shot most other places he would have likely been dead.
Old 12-15-2011, 07:23 PM   #1163
Full time employment: Posting here.

I just flew to NYC and back (from the Bay Area) for my grandfather's wake, so I picked up some ebooks for the trip. I read the three books of the Laundry series so far (The Atrocity Archives, Jennifer Morgue and The Fuller Memorandum) and Saturn's Children, all by Charlie Stross. I'd read the first two before so this was a reread of them. Great stories, really clever writing, Stross really turns a phrase well.
Old 12-15-2011, 07:50 PM   #1164
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retch The Grate View Post
I just flew to NYC and back (from the Bay Area) for my grandfather's wake, so I picked up some ebooks for the trip. I read the three books of the Laundry series so far (The Atrocity Archives, Jennifer Morgue and The Fuller Memorandum) and Saturn's Children, all by Charlie Stross. I'd read the first two before so this was a reread of them. Great stories, really clever writing, Stross really turns a phrase well.
Thank you for the review. I'm sorry about the loss of your grandfather.

...open up your mind and see like me...
Old 12-15-2011, 08:29 PM   #1165

thanks, he had a very long full and happy life of 97 years (and only gave up going into the office somewhere in the last few years). It was a really lovely wake.
Old 12-15-2011, 09:18 PM   #1166
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Bought a box of books at a rummage sale, one was "Blue Highways" by William Least Heat Moon. It's the story of his trip around the perimeter of the US on two lane blacktop roads. Very entertaining and I was shocked to find he had gone through my home town.
Old 12-15-2011, 09:35 PM   #1167
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodak View Post
Bought a box of books at a rummage sale, one was "Blue Highways" by William Least Heat Moon. It's the story of his trip around the perimeter of the US on two lane blacktop roads. Very entertaining and I was shocked to find he had gone through my home town.
That's a great book. I read it when it first came out.

...open up your mind and see like me...
Old 12-19-2011, 05:40 PM   #1168
Gone but not forgotten

Just finished Grisham's "The Litigators " . Very good read ! I could not put it down !
Old 12-22-2011, 01:50 AM   #1169
Give me a forum ...

Nodak you might also like his book about traveling by boat called River Horse. Interesting fellow.

Old 12-22-2011, 07:37 AM   #1170

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
Nodak you might also like his book about traveling by boat called River Horse. Interesting fellow.
I'll look for it, thanks.
Old 12-22-2011, 09:18 AM   #1171
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
Just finished Grisham's "The Litigators " . Very good read ! I could not put it down !
That's available for me to download from the library, but there's some bug on their system, and it won't let me log in.
Old 12-22-2011, 09:24 AM   #1172
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
That's available for me to download from the library, but there's some bug on their system, and it won't let me log in.

Also read Grisham's "The Confession". I think it is his best book ever.
Old 12-23-2011, 02:09 PM   #1173
Gone but not forgotten

I just finished reading "Learning to swim" . It is Sarah Henry's first novel and very good .
Old 12-23-2011, 02:23 PM   #1174
Give me a forum ...

Finished the second book in McCall-Smith's Corduroy Mansion series The Dog Who Came in From the Cold:

Amazon.com: The Dog Who Came in from the Cold: A Corduroy Mansions Novel (9780307379733): Alexander Mccall Smith: Books

Light hearted, humorous, relaxing. If you want to read this, I'd recommend reading Corduroy Mansions first.
Old 12-23-2011, 05:59 PM   #1175

Just finished Thinking Fast and Slow by Daniel Kahneman. This is a spectacular work by someone frequently mentioned as the most accomplished behavioral psychologist of the last 50 years. The excellent reviews do not do justice to an extraordinary work, engaging in its readabilty and thought-provoking in content. Micheal Lewis has a review of this book, which is fitting since Moneyball's focus on statistics and illusions of validity are based on Kahneman's work.

Kahneman was awarded the Nobel Prize in Economics in 2002. And his work has turned utility economics or homoeconomicus on its head.
Old 12-23-2011, 06:51 PM   #1176

I'm finishing up The Mill River Recluse by Darcie Chan and will start on all of Jane Austen's books after that.
Old 12-24-2011, 11:49 AM   #1177

I like Philip Roth, John Updike, and JD Salinger, but have read all their stuff. Can anyone recommend some other author(s) in the style of Roth / Updike / Salinger ?

Merry Christmas,

JG3
Old 12-24-2011, 01:36 PM   #1178
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Galt III View Post
I like Philip Roth, John Updike, and JD Salinger, but have read all their stuff. Can anyone recommend some other author(s) in the style of Roth / Updike / Salinger ?

Merry Christmas,

JG3
Wally Lamb, Jonathan Franzen, Jeffrey Eugenides. No actual guarantee on how well you think the styles match. This input is from an engineer (retired) not an English major.
Old 12-24-2011, 02:13 PM   #1179

The Dark Arena by Mario Puzo. The plot is about a US Army veteran that returns to post war occupied Germany and gets involved with the black market. Good read

Old 12-24-2011, 02:47 PM   #1180

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Galt III View Post

Merry Christmas,

JG3
You may like Richard Russo, Richard Ford, Martin Amis, Paul Theroux, John Banville, Lionel Shriver....

And Franzen, as mentioned.

I also like literary fiction! Not too many of us out there.