Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 02:01 PM   #1201
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
Discovered a new detective/thriller writer I like - Duane Swieczynski. Fun and Games is a hard boiled, quasi retro-noir, non-stop chase story featuring a troubled former police consultant helping a troubled has-been starlet evade "The Accident People" who are trying to kill her to hush up... Well, you need to suspend disbelief but, once you do, it runs out fast, furious and entertaining. I have Sweirczynski's, The Wheelman on hold.
Just reserved two of his books at our local library.....thanks for the tip!

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-12-2012, 09:02 AM   #1202
Give me a forum ...

The End of Everything, by Megan Abbott is a good look inside the mind of a troubled 13 year old girl dealing with her own issues and the abduction of her best friend. It is both a coming of age novel and quite a good mystery. Abbott is supposed to have written some good Edgar winning Noir novels. I will have to check them out.
Old 01-12-2012, 09:18 AM   #1203
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I am reading The Three Muskateers. I am on a kick to read classics that I haven't, and I love that they are free on the Kindle!
Old 01-13-2012, 12:34 PM   #1204
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Discovered a new detective/thriller writer I like - Duane Swieczynski.
Started Severance Package today.......a fun read thus far!

Old 01-13-2012, 01:21 PM   #1205
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
For the start of 2012 I read Colin Dexter's The Daughters of Cain, 5 stars by my tastes. Dexter really knows his way around the English language. For me it's a joy to read. The Inspector Morris series was also done on PBS with John Thaw playing the lead. I'm going to check out a few of those DVD's now.

For reviews see: Amazon.com: The Daughters of Cain (9780804113649): Colin Dexter: Books

I really enjoy Colin Dexter's books, and the TV shows based on them. The Inspector Lewis PBS is series that has aired the last couple of years is quite good as well. I think the streaming version of both series are free for Amazon Prime customers.
Old 01-13-2012, 03:34 PM   #1206
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Discovered a new detective/thriller writer I like - Duane Swieczynski. Fun and Games is a hard boiled, quasi retro-noir..., non-stop chase story featuring a troubled former police consultant helping a troubled has-been starlet evade "The Accident People" who are trying to kill her to hush up... Well, you need to suspend disbelief but, once you do, it runs out fast, furious and entertaining. I have Sweirczynski's, The Wheelman on hold.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
Started Severance Package today.......a fun read thus far!
I will have to order that. I am part way through The Wheelman and enjoying it. Once again, you have to suspend disbelief.
Old 01-13-2012, 03:56 PM   #1207
Recycles dryer sheets

Saltwater Buddha by Jaimal Yogis.
Old 01-13-2012, 04:34 PM   #1208
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff
Discovered a new detective/thriller writer I like - Duane Swieczynski. Fun and Games is a hard boiled, quasi retro-noir, non-stop chase story featuring a troubled former police consultant helping a troubled has-been starlet evade "The Accident People" who are trying to kill her to hush up... Well, you need to suspend disbelief but, once you do, it runs out fast, furious and entertaining. I have Sweirczynski's, The Wheelman on hold.
Thanks. And don't call me Swieczynski!

Call me Swierczynski.
Attached Images
File Type: png image-3402339564.png (61.5 KB, 3 views)
Old 01-21-2012, 12:42 PM   #1209
Give me a forum ...

I just finished this

Amazon.com: Robert B. Parker's Killing the Blues (Jesse Stone) eBook: Michael Brandman: Kindle Store

which I downloaded from the digital library.

The interesting thing is that this is in fact not written by Robert B. Parker, who recently died. However I didn't realize that until halfway through. It's written by someone else but in RBP's style.

It's just like all his other books. Very superficial, but fun to read.
Old 01-21-2012, 01:46 PM   #1210
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Thanks. And don't call me Swieczynski!

Call me Swierczynski.
Oops, sorry Al. Too late to edit that.
Old 01-21-2012, 04:05 PM   #1211
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
It's just like all his other books. Very superficial, but fun to read.
I always thought Parker had a tremendous ability to describe (social) atmosphere, etc, with an economy of words.

Old 01-24-2012, 01:12 PM   #1212
Gone but not forgotten

I recently read this book "It's all relative ". by Wade Rouse . It is a hysterical rememberance of growing up gay in a redneck famiy. Very funny ,tender and slightly sad but he was lucky to have the most accepting ,greatest family around . A great read !
Old 01-27-2012, 06:14 AM   #1213
Give me a forum ...

I came upon an obscure book from 1958 that was fascinating. Collision Course, by Alvin Moscow is about the 1956 collision of the Stockholm with the Andria Doria. Quite a gripping read and I found out an interesting factoid: the reasons captains frequently stayed with and went down with their ships wasn't primarily a romantic seafaring tradition. They were protecting a ship that might stay afloat from being taken by salvagers. The captains were just protecting owners' interests. You might have a hard time finding this one. I got the only copy left in the DC library system. Spoiler alert: the Swedish crew come out looking pretty good, the Italian, not so good.
Old 01-27-2012, 08:20 AM   #1214
Gone but not forgotten

I just finished "The battle hymn of the Tiger Mother " by Amy CHua . This book got a lot of controversial reaction for her parenting techniques. It was interesting but I just wanted to shout "Lighten UP". Its about a second generation mother raising two daughters in the Chinese manner . An interesting read only if you can read it for free .
Old 01-27-2012, 02:57 PM   #1215
Give me a forum ...

Would rate this Ruth Rendell book Tigerlily's Orchids a 4 star: http://www.amazon.com/Tigerlilys-Orc...7701179&sr=1-1

Characters in a London apartment building and their interactions. Sort of like McCall-Smith's 44 Scotland Street but with a dark side. Does not really have a strong central character which might make it a bit less compelling.
Old 01-27-2012, 04:24 PM   #1216
Give me a forum ...

Just finished Children of the Street by Kwei Quartey, an Inspector Darko Dawson mystery set in Ghana.

Old 01-27-2012, 08:50 PM   #1217

The Mamur Zapt and the Return of the Carpet by Michael Pearce. Intrigue in turn of the century Egypt. Liked it. Something different. Have the next one, The Mamur Zapt and the Return of the Night of the Dog on hold at the library.
Old 01-28-2012, 10:13 AM   #1218

Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver:

I didn’t think I'd like this book recommended by my daughter about 10 years ago. ( I gotta’ remember to pay more attention to my daughter). Anyhow, I didn’t think the topic/theme of the book would be of interest to me. It’s about a family—mother, father and four young daughters (not interested); takes place in Africa (not interested) and the father is a fanatical missionary (not interested). Somehow, the way the author put these ingredients together made for a pretty darn good story. I became so involved with the family (mainly the four daughters—all with quirky personalities: well, maybe not the eldest daughter who became pretty much a teen-ager with teen-ager values and attitudes). But, because I got to know and understand the daughters, I found myself anxious as I read the book because I didn’t want them to be harmed/injured/dead. I even anxiously thought about the girls when I wasn't reading the book. The incredibly tough life the family endured--I can’t compare it to anything I’ve come close to experiencing—except maybe that one episode with a pair of delayed gratification clamps and a roll of duct tape.

Not being a book critic (I’m not even well-read), I thought the book was well-written except for the last 100 pages or so (but, since the book is about 543 pages, there’s plenty of good stuff). In the last part, the author tells us about what happened to the family members once they left the little, isolated village in Africa. And, that’s where (at least for me) the book lost some of its heart and soul. Additionally, author becomes political, talking (ranting)? of how the Belgians, the rest of Europe and America took cruel advantage of Africa—particularly the Belgian Congo. Even if her point of view is accurate, it just wasn’t well presented. Way too heavy-handed. Not at all like the rest of the book.

Still, I liked the book…a lot. I think I'll recommend it to my daughter.
Old 01-28-2012, 11:17 AM   #1219
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by redduck View Post
Additionally, author becomes political, talking (ranting)? of how the Belgians, the rest of Europe and America took cruel advantage of Africa—particularly the Belgian Congo.
The way it was:

Belgian Congo

Quote:
Male rubber tappers and porters were mercilessly exploited and driven to death.”[6] Leopold's agents held the wives and children of these men hostage until they returned with their rubber quota.[5] Those who refused or failed to supply enough rubber often had their villages burned down, children murdered, and their hands cut off.[1,3]

Mutilated Congolese child, a victim of King Leopold’s colonial policies Although local chiefs organized tribal resistance, the FP brutally crushed these uprisings. Rebellions often included Congolese fleeing their villages to hide in the wilderness, ambushing army units, and setting fire to rubber vine forests.[2] In retribution, the FP burned villages and FP officers sent their soldiers into the forest to find and kill hiding rebels. To prove the success of their patrols, soldiers were ordered to cut off and bring back dead victims’ right hands as proof that they had not wasted their bullets.[3] If their shots missed their targets or if they used cartridges on big game, soldiers would cut off the hands of the living and wounded to meet their quotas.[3]

“Everywhere I hear the same news of the Congo Free State – rubber and murder, slavery in its worst form.” This account was published in Century Magazine (1897) by E. J. Glave, a former *** administrator.[3] Inspired by works such as Joseph Conrad’s Heart of Darkness (1902),

Old 01-28-2012, 11:53 AM   #1220
gone traveling

William Johnstone's Mountain Man series. Old fashioned western with a bit of a twist.

http://www.trbsi.com/authc/William_W...s_Titles.shtml
Closed Thread