Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-29-2012, 08:09 PM   #1281
Gone but not forgotten

I also just read "Outside the lines " by Amy Halvany . If you loved The Glass House you will love this . It is a daughters search for her schizophrenic homeless Father .
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-30-2012, 06:09 AM   #1282
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Read a couple of Lames Grippando's mysteries on vacation. They were pretty good. And available as ebooks from the library.
Old 04-30-2012, 09:52 AM   #1283
Give me a forum ...

http://www.amazon.com/2030-Real-Stor...5801071&sr=1-1

Very good. Albert Brooks is a genius.
Old 04-30-2012, 07:06 PM   #1284
Give me a forum ...

Wow. I am definitely going to read 2030. Thanks Al!

My current library ebook is "The Cat's Table" by Michael Ondaatje. It's the story of a small boy from Ceylon dispatched by his relatives to join his mother in the UK in 1954 (irresponsible if you ask me) and follows his adventures on the 21 day voyage. Lots of good character development and very accessible. I found Ondaatje's "The English Patient" challenging to follow, but this novel is a delight to read.
Old 04-30-2012, 11:16 PM   #1285
Give me a forum ...

Tonight we watched Modern Romance, written, directed by, and starred in by Albert Brooks. I now think he's less of a genius than I did before.
Old 05-03-2012, 09:21 AM   #1286
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Al, you must have picked up something in the cosmos because Albert Brooks' birth name is Albert Einstein (absolutely true).
Old 05-03-2012, 09:33 AM   #1287
Give me a forum ...

If you like thought provoking books on US culture, economics & politics - this is one of the best I've read in a long time. Whether you agree with all or part of it isn't the point to me, it's that it makes me think about what I think I know, what I think I believe - and I enjoy that challenge. If you're content with mainstream conventional Democrat, Republican, Tea Party, Occupy, liberal, conservative, libertarian or even conventional moderate thinking - the book will probably surprise you. The thinking is different.

It's a short read, not meant to be comprehensive, just enough to encourage thinking. The key chapter titles are:
  • Great Citizenship
  • True Capitalism
  • Self-Government
Again, if you prefer thought provoking reading over like-minded (yawn...IMO). FWIW...

Quote:
American democracy is informed by the 18th century’s most cutting edge thinking on society, economics, and government. We’ve learned some things in the intervening 230 years about self interest, social behaviors, and how the world works. Now, authors Eric Liu and Nick Hanauer argue that some fundamental assumptions about citizenship, society, economics, and government need updating. For many years the dominant metaphor for understanding markets and government has been the machine. Liu and Hanauer view democracy not as a machine, but as a garden. A successful garden functions according to the inexorable tendencies of nature, but it also requires goals, regular tending, and an understanding of connected ecosystems. The latest ideas from science, social science, and economics—the cutting-edge ideas of today--generate these simple but revolutionary ideas:

True self interest is mutual interest. (Society, it turns out, is an ecosystem that is healthiest when we take care of the whole.)

Society becomes how we behave. (The model of citizenship depends on contagious behavior, hence positive behavior begets positive behavior.)

We’re all better off when we’re all better off. (The economy is not an efficient machine. It’s an effective garden that need tending. Adjust the definition of wealth to society creating solutions for all.)

Government should be about the big what and the little how. (Government should establish the ideas and the goals, and then let the people find the solutions of how to make it happen.)

Freedom is responsibility. (True freedom is not about living some variant of libertarianism but rather an active cooperation a part of a big whole society; freedom costs a little freedom.)

The Gardens of Democracy is an optimistic, provocative, and timely summons to improve our role as citizens in a democratic society.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gardens-of-democracy.jpg (46.7 KB, 1 views)

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Old 05-05-2012, 12:08 PM   #1288
Full time employment: Posting here.

Just finished American Gods by Neil Gaiman. Best fiction I've read in years. Deep without being pretentious, and some great humor.
Old 05-05-2012, 12:12 PM   #1289
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortInSeattle View Post
Just finished American Gods by Neil Gaiman. Best fiction I've read in years. Deep without being pretentious, and some great humor.
I preferred his Neverwhere......very entertaining.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Old 05-05-2012, 08:28 PM   #1290
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortInSeattle
In the same vein, try his "Anansi Boys"

http://www.amazon.com/Anansi-Boys-Ne.../dp/0060515198
Old 05-09-2012, 07:24 PM   #1291
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Finished reading: DNA The Secret of Life by Watson and Berry

I was looking for an informative read about genetics. Genetics for Dummies was well written but it was more of a text book explanation for some of the details of genetics. There was no story there and none of the history.

This book is a sweeping overview of the gensis of the field of genetics by an insider and pioneer.
It is well written and good for anyone that has wondered about genetics/molecular biology and would like to learn more.
Old 05-09-2012, 10:18 PM   #1292
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free To Canoe
Finished reading: DNA The Secret of Life by Watson and Berry

I was looking for an informative read about genetics. Genetics for Dummies was well written but it was more of a text book explanation for some of the details of genetics. There was no story there and none of the history.

This book is a sweeping overview of the gensis of the field of genetics by an insider and pioneer.
It is well written and good for anyone that has wondered about genetics/molecular biology and would like to learn more.
I agree. I read this some years ago and found it a page turner.
Old 05-13-2012, 01:41 PM   #1293
Give me a forum ...

Pineapple Grenade by Tim Dorsey is a great read. If you like all the noirish Florida mysteries with pastel titles and like slaptic comedies, this one is for you. All kinds of goofy Florida characters from serial killers to ganag bangers, to Latin American presidents caught up in internation intrigue with multiple intelligence agencies. No redeeming social importance.
Old 05-13-2012, 06:05 PM   #1294
Give me a forum ...

Don, we love Florida fiction, and Tim Dorsey is a real fave of my DH. I met him at a conference years ago, organized in honor of John D McDonald, and he was very nice. I probably favor Randy Wayne White a bit more, but can appreciate the craziness of Dorsey, too.

Old 05-13-2012, 06:19 PM   #1295
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
Don, we love Florida fiction, and Tim Dorsey is a real fave of my DH. I met him at a conference years ago, organized in honor of John D McDonald, and he was very nice. I probably favor Randy Wayne White a bit more, but can appreciate the craziness of Dorsey, too.
+1. I forgot to mention Randy Wayne White. I also just finished Chasing Midnight which was pretty good. White is more of a traditional Florida writer. Dorsey is a different breed of cat - at least Pineapple Grenade is. I will try some others to see.
Old 05-13-2012, 08:24 PM   #1296
Give me a forum ...

Thanks for the tip on White's latest. I'll be sure to pick it up. His travel stories are excellent as well. You will love the rest of Dorsey's books if you haven't read them. Also check out the Key West stories of Laurence Shames. Very entertaining!

Old 05-13-2012, 08:34 PM   #1297
Give me a forum ...

Just finished 2030 by Albert Brooks. I didn't think it was genious like T-Al did, but it was pretty good. A really believable future, and a good comedic look into the problems we're likely to be facing in 20 years. I've always been a fan of Albert Brooks' movies, I like his quirky sense of humor.
Old 05-14-2012, 05:52 AM   #1298
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
. You will love the rest of Dorsey's books if you haven't read them. Also check out the Key West stories of Laurence Shames. Very entertaining!
Thanks. Got a Dorsey in my eBook queue and a Shames in my physical book queue. I love Key West so I am looking forward to Shames.
Old 05-14-2012, 06:50 AM   #1299
Give me a forum ...

I just finished "Flagrant Conduct" by Dale Carpenter. It is a book about the landmark U.S. Supreme Court case, "Lawrence v. Texas" decided in 2003. It reads like a long "Law & Order" episode, including chapters about the defendants in the original case, cops, and gay rights groups along with the many twists and turns the case took on its way to the U.S. Supreme Court.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
Old 05-14-2012, 08:02 AM   #1300
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
I find that reading a little bit of fiction makes my life feel richer and beats watching stocks go down. Here are a few books I've gotten from the library and read in the last few months:

Blue Shoes and Happiness by Alexander McCall Smith, one of his series about a lady detective in Botswana. Done in a lighthearted and humerous way. I think the first book in this series is The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency.

Dreaming of Bones
by Deborah Crombie. Second book in her Kinkaid & Gemma mystery series. Well written in a style that reminds me of P.D. James. A believable plot line.

At Risk by Stella Rimington. The author is a former director of MI5 so she knows what she's talking about. Story about a female MI5 officier who pursues two terrorists in Britain.
Even though I was an English and journalism major (maybe BECAUSE of it), I'm not a big reader...not of fiction anyway. BUT, I recently decided to read some classics that I had never read (well, I had read one of them):

Old Man and the Sea - I really did not like this book at all.
Puddin' Head Wilson - GREAT novel by Mark Twain.
The Time Machine - I read this as a kid and decided to read it again. I don't think it stand up to the test of time (no pun intended). It's very uneventful and just not very exciting.
Closed Thread