Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 05-14-2012, 06:51 PM   #1301
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I am almost never fascinated enough to buy a newly published book but the 60 minutes interview with Hank Crumpton is sorely tempting: Hank Crumpton: Life As A Spy | digtriad.com

The book is available now: Amazon.com: The Art of Intelligence: Lessons from a Life in the CIA's Clandestine Service eBook: Henry A. Crumpton: Kindle Store

This could be my first Kindle (for the Fire) book purchase.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-14-2012, 07:58 PM   #1302
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I'm not done with it yet, but I'm re-reading "Shop Class as Soul Craft." If you're a tinkerer, a weekend mechanic, someone who enjoys a tool in your hand, but work in an office or are a "professional" I highly recommend it. Not an easy read though. Extols the virtue of connecting with the stuff we use every day. (Hey, I'm one of the people that bemoans the fact I can no longer work on my cars other the simplest of tasks). Actually has some fairly deep philosophy in it.

It's inspiring me, after 35 years as an engineer manager, to maybe go work as an apprentice in sailboat or auto restoration shop. Heck, I'd do it for nothing if it was the right kind of work.
Old 05-14-2012, 08:17 PM   #1303
Give me a forum ...

Wow H20 dude, what a coincidence! I've got that one on my list to pick up at the library! Hoping DH will like it too.

Old 05-14-2012, 08:47 PM   #1304
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg
Last week I read "Beautiful Boy " by David Sheff . It is the heartbreaking story of his son's addiction. A few parts were slow but the rest was a great read .
I read this a while ago and recommend you also read his son's version "tweak" by_nic_sheff. It was very interesting to read the two versions of the same time span.
Old 05-15-2012, 08:24 AM   #1305

Sophie's Choice by Styron. Lots of sexuality, no doubt risque back when it was published. Good read. Styron sounds like Dostoevsky a lot.
Old 05-16-2012, 08:28 PM   #1306
Moderator Emeritus

H2ODude - "Shop Class as Soul Craft" looks like a great read - could be my next. Right now I'm looking at/reading "Illustrated Guide to Wood Strip Canoe Building". I'd like to build a wood strip canoe or boat someday.
Old 05-16-2012, 09:15 PM   #1307
Give me a forum ...

Just finished Grisham's The Litigators. Excellent. Grisham may be the world's best story teller.
Old 05-17-2012, 10:17 AM   #1308

Mary Doria Russell's The Sparrow. Set in the future, possible life is detected on a distant planet and a mission of scientists and Jesuits set out to investigate. Great science fiction--a real page turner with an interwoven double plot--and deep themes about good, evil, God's providence, and intelligent life on other planets. Russell is a very versatile author: I'm now reading A Thread of Grace (about a northern Italian town that harbored Jews during the Holocaust) and Doc (about Doc Holiday and the OK Corral fight).
Old 05-17-2012, 08:02 PM   #1309
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marita40
Mary Doria Russell's The Sparrow. Set in the future, possible life is detected on a distant planet and a mission of scientists and Jesuits set out to investigate. Great science fiction--a real page turner with an interwoven double plot--and deep themes about good, evil, God's providence, and intelligent life on other planets. Russell is a very versatile author: I'm now reading A Thread of Grace (about a northern Italian town that harbored Jews during the Holocaust) and Doc (about Doc Holiday and the OK Corral fight).
The Sparrow is one of my all time favorites. I love books that manage to be uplifting and devastating at once.
Old 05-18-2012, 04:01 PM   #1310

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Just finished Grisham's The Litigators. Excellent. Grisham may be the world's best story teller.
I'll second that. Wish there was more of him to read. I think I have read everything.
Old 05-18-2012, 04:35 PM   #1311
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marita40 View Post
A Thread of Grace (about a northern Italian town that harbored Jews during the Holocaust)...
That sounds like an excellent book. I'm going to look for it the next time I'm at the library. Who's the author?

---
J. Sadler
Bible study for teenagers
Old 05-18-2012, 06:42 PM   #1312

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSadler

That sounds like an excellent book. I'm going to look for it the next time I'm at the library. Who's the author?

---
J. Sadler
Bible study for teenagers
Mary doria russell
Old 05-22-2012, 01:24 PM   #1313

Physics of the Future: how science will shape human destiny
by Dr. Michio Kaku

if you watch much Discovery channel, Dr. Kaku will be familiar. He's a theoretical physicist who makes even the most complicated subjects simple.

His book is about predictions in the near term (next 20 year), mid term (20 - 50 years) and long term (50 - 100). The subject areas are medicine, computing, transportation, energy, and several others.

The book is an easy read and is fascinating.

For example, one of the near term medical inventions is expected to be a mirror that you can breathe on that will detect early stage cancer. The breath contains traces of proteins that malignant cells produce. The mirror will have a detection device and give a reading if the concentration of proteins indicates cancer.

The book also explains why so many futurist's predictions have been wrong (remember the 'paperless office'?) Seems that many predictions have been based purely on science rather than taking human nature into account. Dr. Kaku's predictions are based on sound science, but includes the human response as well.
Old 05-23-2012, 08:52 AM   #1314

Since retiring, I've tried to read more classics...one good reason, they're cheap. I really made a mistake with Ulyssus tho. I couldn't make it thru the first 3 scenes. I will try again after another Jane Austin, this time Lady Susan.
Old 05-23-2012, 09:05 AM   #1315
Give me a forum ...

Just finished (interesting look at international politics in the 10-15 years ahead, one "expert" view)

Currently reading
\
On the wait list for

and

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Old 05-23-2012, 12:23 PM   #1316

Just finished Steve Jobs biography - DH gave it to me for Mother's Day. Very well written and interesting. Quite balanced between Jobs the genius and Jobs the a**hole.
Old 05-24-2012, 08:35 AM   #1317
Give me a forum ...

I'm reading this:

Amazon.com: Here's the Deal: Don't Touch Me: Howie Mandel, Josh Young: Books

I had thought the germaphobe/OCD thing of his was just a recent invention of his, but it turns out he has a real problem and always has. Also, he has always done weird pranks.

Here's early Howie Mandel:

Old 05-24-2012, 08:46 AM   #1318
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Galt III View Post
Sophie's Choice by Styron. Lots of sexuality, no doubt risque back when it was published. Good read. Styron sounds like Dostoevsky a lot.
This is a very good book, and the movie with Meryl Streep is also excellent. Another wonderful book with some period and other resemblances to Sophie's Choice is Enemies, A Love
Story by Isaac Bashevis Singer, probably my all time favorite author. The move of the same name with a perfectly cast Lena Olin is also wonderful.

Ha
Old 05-24-2012, 02:18 PM   #1319
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Also, he has always done weird pranks
Like calling contractors to come onsite to measure his high school for building additions.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Old 05-24-2012, 04:53 PM   #1320
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
Like calling contractors to come onsite to measure his high school for building additions.
The worst one, one he regrets, is that he convinced his best friend and opening act that he had to dress up as a woman to get a spouse discount on the plane, or he wouldn't be able to go on the tour. Lots of people, including the stewardesses, were in on it. He flew from LA to Philadelphia that way. Here's a picture:

howie.jpg
Closed Thread