Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-29-2012, 09:50 PM   #1361
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Oh well, what do I know? How can there be a hero in business, same as in politics? It should not be the word for me to use.

Still, the undisputed fact remains that the "Woz" is a real designer, far better than Jobs. The latter was a far better promoter, and definitely had more entrepreneurial skills.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-29-2012, 10:18 PM   #1362
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
... and didn't believe in personal hygiene.
As I understand the story, Jobs thought that his fruititarian ("fruitatarian"?) diet made bathing unnecessary. I'm not sure who took him aside to explain the facts of life... maybe he was having trouble finding hot fruititarian chicks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Still, the undisputed fact remains that the "Woz" is a real designer, far better than Jobs. The latter was a far better promoter, and definitely had more entrepreneurial skills.
Sad to say, I think without Jobs that Woz would've still been building cool stuff at the Homebrew Computer Club and wondering whether he'd survive the next round of HP layoffs.

But I enjoyed Woz' biography much more.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 06:47 PM   #1363
Give me a forum ...

I was browsing Amazon for a book to read . I considered "Fifty Shades of Grey " but the reviews were awful so I bought "Gone Girl " by Gillian Flynn . It was a can't put down book .I seriously wonder how someone can write something this weird but great .
Old 07-11-2012, 06:58 PM   #1364
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Drop Dead Healthy by A. J. Jacobs (Apr 10, 2012)

Ms G. read it and laughed through most of the book. I was simply amused, and read it in one day. Some fun, some fact, but ER folks into healthy living will see themselves a lot.
Old 07-11-2012, 06:59 PM   #1365

I have just begun reading the book, "It's Worse Than It Looks," by Thomas Mann and Norman Ornstein. It's a page-turner.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 05:55 AM   #1366
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
I was browsing Amazon for a book to read . I considered "Fifty Shades of Grey " but the reviews were awful so I bought "Gone Girl " by Gillian Flynn . It was a can't put down book .I seriously wonder how someone can write something this weird but great .
I have it waiting to be read. Flynn is married to my SIL's nephew so SIL has fed me all of her books as they come out.
Old 07-12-2012, 10:02 AM   #1367
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
I have it waiting to be read. Flynn is married to my SIL's nephew so SIL has fed me all of her books as they come out.
She certainly kept my attention . I checked out her other books and they also seem bizarre but they have gotten excellent ratings so I may have to read them.
Old 07-14-2012, 08:48 PM   #1368
Administrator

Just returned from my two-week vacation in Maine. While there, I read:

Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett
Atlantic by Simon Winchester
Mayflower by Nathaniel Philbrick
Theodore Rex by Edmund Morris
Last Train to Paradise by Les Standiford
Codex 632 by Jose Rodrigues dos Santos
The Longest Winter by Alex Kershaw
Ingenious Pursuits by Lisa Jardine
Blood and Thunder by Hampton Sides
A Trace of Smoke by Rebecca Cantrell
Old 07-14-2012, 08:58 PM   #1369

Gumby, you are a speed demon.

If you had to recommend one, which would it be?
Old 07-14-2012, 09:10 PM   #1370
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
Gumby, you are a speed demon.

If you had to recommend one, which would it be?
If you could read only one, I would suggest the first, Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett. The central conceit of the story is that the monastery in the fictional town of Kingsbridge in England is building a new and glorious cathedral in the "gothic" style, with the flying buttresses, stained class etc. The major characters are the master mason in charge of the project, the ambitious and ruthless local minor nobility, the conniving bishop and the clever abbot of the monastery. The characters are well drawn and capture the imagination. The tale explores a wide range of life in the high middle ages and really makes the reader want to turn the page to see what happens next. I truly enjoyed it.
Old 07-14-2012, 09:21 PM   #1371
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
If you could read only one, I would suggest the first, Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett.
Quote:
The characters are well drawn and capture the imagination. The tale explores a wide range of life in the high middle ages and really makes the reader want to turn the page to see what happens next. I truly enjoyed it.
+1

I also highly recommend this book. I read it several years ago and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension

REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 11:03 PM   #1372

Just finished reading 'The Devil We Don't Know' by Nonie Darwish and found it to be a good read. Nonie spent her first 30 years as a Muslim living in Egypt (she now lives in USA), and attended a University there. The book is about her frustrations with Islam, especially Sharia law, and the problems she sees with the 'Arab Spring'.
Old 07-14-2012, 11:06 PM   #1373
Moderator Emeritus

Pillars of the Earth is 1008 pages in the mass market paperback but "only" 973 in the slightly larger trade paperback. And you read 9 more books in his two week vacation? Can I nominate you for the Guiness Book of World Records for speed reading?

Bestwifeever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 06:38 AM   #1374
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Pillars of the Earth is 1008 pages in the mass market paperback but "only" 973 in the slightly larger trade paperback. And you read 9 more books in his two week vacation? Can I nominate you for the Guiness Book of World Records for speed reading?
When we are in Maine, our principal activity is sitting out on the dock or the screen porch (depending on the mosquito level) and reading. We do walk first thing in the mornings and go out to the grocery or for lunch/dinner or antiquing, and even mountain climbing (Mount Megunticook -- 1384 ft.), but mostly we just read. The young wife goes kayaking on the lake in the afternoons and does crossword puzzles, so she reads fewer books.
Old 07-15-2012, 07:10 AM   #1375

Quote:
When we are in Maine, our principal activity is sitting out on the dock or the screen porch (depending on the mosquito level) and reading. We do walk first thing in the mornings and go out to the grocery or for lunch/dinner or antiquing, and even mountain climbing (Mount Megunticook -- 1384 ft.), but mostly we just read. The young wife goes kayaking on the lake in the afternoons and does crossword puzzles, so she reads fewer books.
Sittin' on the dock of the bay?
Old 07-15-2012, 09:27 PM   #1376
Give me a forum ...

Amy, my daughter, by Mitch Winehouse. The sad story of a very talented artist who succumbed to drug addiction and died of alcohol poisoning a year ago. Her music is haunting and utterly original. This is her father's perspective, and it's heartbreaking. Lots of love, lots of frustration dealing with drug addiction.
Old 07-16-2012, 03:17 AM   #1377
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
If you could read only one, I would suggest the first, Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett. The central conceit of the story is that the monastery in the fictional town of Kingsbridge in England is building a new and glorious cathedral in the "gothic" style, with the flying buttresses, stained class etc. The major characters are the master mason in charge of the project, the ambitious and ruthless local minor nobility, the conniving bishop and the clever abbot of the monastery. The characters are well drawn and capture the imagination. The tale explores a wide range of life in the high middle ages and really makes the reader want to turn the page to see what happens next. I truly enjoyed it.
Did you watch the TV series based on the book (TV series also called Pillars of the Earth). I enjoyed the series but not sure I can endure so much reading - eye problems. But good to know that you enjoyed the book.
Old 07-25-2012, 03:54 PM   #1378
Full time employment: Posting here.

Just came back from a week at the cottage... distractions included:
Malaria Dreams: An African Adventure by Stuart Stevens
- recommended. Funny American guy who acts/writes like a Brit
The Disciple of Las Vegas (Ava Lee) by Ian Hamilton
- recommended. A good series that will no doubt soon be a movie trilogy
Arguably: Essays by Christopher Hitchens
- recommended. So far...
WALK TO NEW YORK by Charles Wilkins
- not recommended. The concept is good but the author himself is an atrocious, PC, self righteous elitist of the highest order (a subspecies we grow entirely to much of in Canada).
Old 07-25-2012, 04:53 PM   #1379
Give me a forum ...

Thomas Jefferson: Author of America by Christopher Hitchens.

A short (less than 200 pages) biography by one of our best modern writers. In the space available, Hitchens can only skim the surface of Jefferson's long and amazing life, but he gives an objective and insightful overview of a fascinating character in our history. A wonderful summer book.
Old 07-25-2012, 08:31 PM   #1380

Going into the last couple chapters of "The Amateur" by Edward Klein. The story of Barack Obama in the White House. To me it is very easy reading and spell binding. Something you really can't put down.