Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-01-2009, 10:15 AM   #121

That is House written from the perspective of a contractor building someone's dream home? I remember that--I bought it from a thrift store just before we started building our house five years ago. A very good read and a thoughtful book.
Reminds me of another book I enjoyed unexpectedly, called Uncommon Carriers, by John McPhee. Vocational literature, I guess would be what you'd call these, and quite interesting.
Nice to recall it.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-01-2009, 05:50 PM   #122
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Jill Bolte Taylor's My Stroke of Insight. A neuroscientist has a major stroke aged 37 due to a previously undetected blood vessel malformation in her head. She recovers fully over 8 years. She describes the entire event as she experienced it, knowing not only what was happening but where in her brain. Throws a whole new perspective on how to communicate with, and treat, patients who have had a stroke. It's beautifully written for the general public, complete with diagrams, but I think it should also be required reading for every medical or nursing student, as well as for family members of people who have had a stroke, or might have one. Magnificent read. Get it.

Old 06-01-2009, 05:50 PM   #123
Give me a forum ...

I am on a Middle East kick

Three cups of Tea, an inspiring account of a former mountaineer, who builds school houses for villages in the Pakistan, and Afghanistan. Recently won Pakistan highest honor, and Nobel Peace Prize Nominee.

Fiasco and the Gamble. Tom Ricks, the former military correspondent, for WSJ and the Washington Post, account of the war in Iraq from 2004 to late last year. In case you didn't think that Gen. Petrasus was an incredible man these two books will convince you.

Ghost Wars: The Secret History of the CIA, Afghanistan, and Bin Laden, From the Soviet invasion to Sept 10,2001.
By the managing editor of the Washington Post. Half way through great background.

And just for fun Foundation Fear. A sequel to Asimov's classic Sci Fi.
Old 06-01-2009, 05:52 PM   #124
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Jill Bolte Taylor's My Stroke of Insight. A neuroscientist has a major stroke aged 37 due to a previously undetected blood vessel malformation in her head. She recovers fully over 8 years. She describes the entire event as she experienced it, knowing not only what was happening but where in her brain. Throws a whole new perspective on how to communicate with, and treat, patients who have had a stroke. It's beautifully written for the general public, complete with diagrams, but I think it should also be required reading for every medical or nursing student, as well as for family members of people who have had a stroke, or might have one. Magnificent read. Get it.
I've seen her interviewed several times, remarkably articulate. It maybe a perfect book for my sister.
Old 06-01-2009, 06:03 PM   #125
Give me a forum ...

I have "reader's block". I devoured books when I first FIREd, now I'm on sabattical.
Ever since I opened and read a little bit of Enough last fall, I put it down and have only read magazines and stuff online since then. I'll wait for the fall to get back to reading again.
Old 06-01-2009, 06:41 PM   #126
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
I have "reader's block". I devoured books when I first FIREd, now I'm on sabattical.
Some activities like reading and my art, I find a time off to be a good investment. I come back to the activity somehow more keenly aware. Generally though, with fiction reading I find that it makes my other experiences seem a little richer. So I don't seem to go more then a few months before needing another fix.
Old 06-01-2009, 08:46 PM   #127
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post

I read the reviews on that and it looks like a great read ! Thanks for reminding me about it !
Old 06-01-2009, 08:50 PM   #128
Give me a forum ...

Just got and I'm almost finished with Elizabeth Berg's "Home Safe " . Her books are a little sappy but good .
Old 06-01-2009, 08:55 PM   #129
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
That is House written from the perspective of a contractor building someone's dream home? I remember that--I bought it from a thrift store just before we started building our house five years ago. A very good read and a thoughtful book.
Reminds me of another book I enjoyed unexpectedly, called Uncommon Carriers, by John McPhee. Vocational literature, I guess would be what you'd call these, and quite interesting.
Nice to recall it.
To jog your memory, in House Tracy Kidder interviewed the participants, and described the home building process from the eyes of the home owners, the architect, the contractor, the carpenters, etc... It is a good read. It is similar to The Soul of a New Machine, but the latter dealt with computer hardware and would bore the heck out of non-nerds.

I will add Uncommon Carriers to my list. Thanks.
Old 06-23-2009, 01:14 PM   #130

My wife suggested this author and I really liked his first book Dissolution (by C.J. Sansom). Combines a mystery with historical fiction writing. Henry VIII is closing monasteries (hence the title) during the early 1500's. London lawyer Shardlake goes to a monastery as commissionar for Cromwell to investigate a murder. Very compelling writing and offers insights into the history of those times. P.D. James is quoted on the cover recommending this book. It's a nice way to get a little history lesson.
Old 06-23-2009, 03:25 PM   #131
Give me a forum ...

Just finished " The Scarecrow " by Michael Conelly , "Sail " by Patterson and "Rough Weather " by Robert Parker . All decent mysteries "Sail " was probably the best .
Old 06-23-2009, 03:36 PM   #132

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
Just finished " The Scarecrow " by Michael Conelly , "Sail " by Patterson and "Rough Weather " by Robert Parker . All decent mysteries "Sail " was probably the best .
Better than Michael Connelly´s?
Old 06-23-2009, 05:53 PM   #133
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicente solano View Post
Better than Michael Connelly´s?

Not better but maybe equal . I had a hard time putting either of them down and finished them in a few hours .
Old 06-23-2009, 05:54 PM   #134

I just finished re-reading Biggest Brother The life of Major Dick Winters. Great stuff.
Old 06-26-2009, 11:40 PM   #135
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm a third into A Random Walk Down Wall Street. Easy to read and so far very good material.
Old 06-27-2009, 11:52 AM   #136

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
Not better but maybe equal . I had a hard time putting either of them down and finished them in a few hours .
Just finished Connelly´s A Darkness More Than Night. I liked it.
If you think so high of Sail, I´ll give it a try.
Old 06-27-2009, 12:34 PM   #137
Give me a forum ...

Here's a neat list of good personal finance and investing books that vanguard just put out, if anyone is interested. I have read a number of them myself, and many are frequently recommended by other posters here.
Old 06-27-2009, 10:28 PM   #138

For some reason I've gone back to books that I read as a student:

Catcher in the Rye: loved it the first time around, not so much last week.

I'm rereading "Sometimes a Great Notion." Still a terrific read.

I do enjoy books by David Sedaris: quick, easy, funny and often insightful.
Old 06-27-2009, 10:46 PM   #139
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by redduck View Post
Catcher in the Rye: loved it the first time around, not so much last week.
That is on my "to read" list. Somehow I missed reading it going through school.
Old 06-28-2009, 12:36 AM   #140

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
That is on my "to read" list. Somehow I missed reading it going through school.
Fuego, you'll be able to get through it pretty quickly.