Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-25-2012, 10:36 PM   #1381
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Well I liked Gone Girl so much that I got Dark Places out of the library . I could not put it down . She definitely has a weird mind but interesting .

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-27-2012, 10:36 AM   #1382
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNNIE36 View Post
Going into the last couple chapters of "The Amateur" by Edward Klein. The story of Barack Obama in the White House. To me it is very easy reading and spell binding. Something you really can't put down.
I have 'The Amateur' kindle book on my e-reader and is next on my list. [mod edit]

Old 07-27-2012, 12:06 PM   #1383

[mod hat on] Folks, just a reminder to keep partisan politics out of this book thread [mod hat off]
Old 07-27-2012, 01:11 PM   #1384

Here are some (fiction) books I've enjoyed:

Volk's Game by Brent Ghelfi

The Informationist by Taylor Stevens

Blood Safari (and others) by Deon Meyer

Invisible Armies/Dark Places, (etc) by Jon Evans

Flashback by Jenny Siler

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 02:24 PM   #1385
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
Here are some (fiction) books I've enjoyed:
The Informationist by Taylor Stevens
I second that recommendation.. pretty decent thriller. And the author has an interesting backstory. Will check your others out.. the Jon Evans ones seem good..
Old 07-27-2012, 03:02 PM   #1386

I recently read Hermann Hesse's Steppenwolf, a classic. I had owned the paperback for several years, but could never get past the first 30 or so pages, because it was so dark. Got past that and appreciated the book so much I dug up one of those old Cliffs Notes on it, which had good background and interpretation.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 02:02 AM   #1387
Give me a forum ...

Unorthodox, by Deborah Feldman. http://www.deborahfeldman.com/about-the-book.php

An autobiographical account of a young woman who grew up in the Hasidic community of Williamsburg, Brooklyn, NY. She eventually left with her toddler. Very well written; i couldn't put it down. For the record, some people in the Hasidic community question the veracity of her story, but in the preface she did say that names and details had been changed.

If they are well written, I always enjoy accounts of struggle for independence from a repressive culture.
Old 07-30-2012, 08:01 AM   #1388

I have recent begun reading "How Texas Goes...." by Gail Collins. She has a fun writing style which makes this book about how the Texas agenda hijacked the nation pleasant to read.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 09:33 AM   #1389

I read Robert Harris's The Fear Index: Amazon.com: The Fear Index (9780307948113): Robert Harris: Books

It only got 3 stars on Amazon but I'd give it 4.5 stars. It was compelling to me probably because I'm a bit fascinated by market timing but not in the sense of how these guys did it. The main character may be a bit hard to relate too but he grows on you. Nice twist at the end.

DW is listening to it now on audiobooks from the library and is hooked. And she is not an investment type.
Old 07-30-2012, 10:55 PM   #1390
Give me a forum ...

Maeve Binchy (Circle of Friends, Tara Road) has just died at age 72. Never intellectually challenging, she was always a good read. RIP.
Old 07-30-2012, 11:33 PM   #1391

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh
Maeve Binchy (Circle of Friends, Tara Road) has just died at age 72. Never intellectually challenging, she was always a good read. RIP.
I'm so sad to hear that. Her books were often so comforting and positive, I always felt good after finishing one.
Old 07-31-2012, 06:51 AM   #1392
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
I read Robert Harris's The Fear Index: Amazon.com: The Fear Index (9780307948113): Robert Harris: Books

It only got 3 stars on Amazon but I'd give it 4.5 stars. It was compelling to me probably because I'm a bit fascinated by market timing but not in the sense of how these guys did it. The main character may be a bit hard to relate too but he grows on you. Nice twist at the end.

DW is listening to it now on audiobooks from the library and is hooked. And she is not an investment type.
Thanks, I was able to put a hold on an ebook copy..
Old 07-31-2012, 07:14 AM   #1393

Rules of Civility by Amor Towles- delightful champagne cocktail of a book about New York city in the 30's.
Old 07-31-2012, 09:17 AM   #1394
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Her books made me want to fly to Ireland . I will miss her a lot .
Old 07-31-2012, 09:53 AM   #1395

Killing Lincoln, by Bill O'Reilly. It has been on the best seller list for many weeks and my public library had a copy on the shelf when I was browsing there yesterday. It is written like a contemporary thriller which makes for a quick read but a juvenile prose style. It certainly doesn't approach the many better-written biographies of Lincoln or histories of the Civil War.
Old 07-31-2012, 01:23 PM   #1396
Give me a forum ...

Many people here recognize books that others read. There are thousands of new books published each year, so should it be more common that we would happen to read books that nobody else cares or knows about? Well, it may be that I am so out of touch that I do not recognize many books reported here. Conversely, people may not know what I read, because some of them are old, and others because they are out of the mainstream.

For example, here's a recent book that I read: Once upon the River Love by Andrei Makine, a Russian. His books are in French, and have won some top French awards. I read an English translation, however. The name of the river is Amur, which is close to the word amour for love in French.

The book is a novel about three Siberian boys whose coming-of-age sexual fantasies were shaped by their watching of movies starring Jean Paul Belmondo. By the way, I have not read fictions for a while.
Old 07-31-2012, 07:09 PM   #1397

"Existence", by David Brin

Science Fiction
http://www.amazon.com/Existence-Davi.../dp/0765303612

Set in the year 2030, the book poses a deceptively simple setup. An artifact not of this Earth is found, a sort of message in a bottle. The message it contains is simple; "Join us." We humans react to the discovery in, well, a very human manner, with fear, hope, greed, vanity, and more than a little panic.

The story itself is huge, sweeping across multiple generations, with dozens of characters, covering ideas related to death, birth, and everything in between. It's a book full of Big Ideas and astounding plot twists. Because of all this, it can also be a difficult read, so be forewarned. Characters come and go as their lives become more or less relevant to the story. Several of Mr. Brin's favorite ideas and themes pop up within the story, so if you've read his nonfiction articles or blog, there are a few chapters that will sound familiar. If not, well, there's an incentive to visit http://davidbrin.blogspot.com/.

Note: The story lands in a niche called Mundane Science Fiction, a flavor of SF story that has to play by the currently understood rules of the laws of physics. So, no vast interstellar empires, faster than light spaceships, or similar stuff. Still, the book packs in some things that you wouldn't expect under these ground rules...
Old 07-31-2012, 07:14 PM   #1398
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Paquette View Post
"Existence", by David Brin
Thanks for that one. I ordered it from the library. I have read a lot of Brin's other stuff - all good.
Old 07-31-2012, 07:52 PM   #1399

Browsing the local used book store I found a copy of "The Sotweed Factor" by John Barth. I remember reading it in the late 60s or early 70s and finding it very entertaining so I am reading it again. It's even better than I remembered.
Old 08-01-2012, 10:32 AM   #1400
Recycles dryer sheets

Just finished Up Country by Nelson Demille. Really enjoyed it. This book was published 10 years ago so some have probably read it. Vietnam era veterans will enjoy; it is a must read for actual Vietnam vets.

t.r.