Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-06-2013, 07:12 AM   #1501
Full time employment: Posting here.

The Conquest of Happiness by Bertrand Russell. It was written in the 1930's, so some of the ideas towards the role of women in society, marriage and family may be dated, but overall it is a great book. I am now starting on his History of Western Philosophy.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-07-2013, 03:39 PM   #1502
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

A.D. Scott's first novel is A Small Death in the Great Glen. It a mystery story that takes place in the smallish town of Inverness Scotland in 1950. A lot about the post-war environment, refugees (Polish, Italian, etc.) coming to Scotland, and Scottish ways. Very good character studies, Amazon.com: A Small Death in the Great Glen: A Novel (9781439154939): A. D. Scott: Books

I really liked it and will read her second novel soon. We're going to Scotland in May so that's a good motivation.
Washington DC has not improved!
Old 03-08-2013, 01:50 PM   #1503

Washington DC has not improved!

Just finished Carl Sandburg's Lincoln: The War Years, Vol. 3. (Have been making my way through these since the early 90's. One beauty of ER is the chance to read Vol. 3 in just six mo.!)

This series is better than reality TV or the history channel. Sandburg clearly collected every scrap of paper ever written by or about Lincoln. Through weaving this research, he creates a full (and quite entertaining) portrait of a backwoods genius/humanitarian who was so far above and beyond the pettiness of Washington politics that he pulled every string necessary (when necessary) to hold this country together. He was profoundly assisted by the underestimation of all the self-appointed "powers that be."

So, despite an eagle's vantage point, he was able to influence much of our history while flying below "Washington's radar." (Though, of course, they had no radar at the time. But the stories of him walking home from the war telegraph office in the middle of the night --sans secret service-- would make another good Lincoln movie, including the bullet through his top hat. And his use of spies could make some fine fodder for weeknight TV.)

Also, if you are weary of news from our nation's capitol, this book is a great diversion. The graft and corruption in Lincoln's Washington make the politics of 2013 seem like a pre-school. Well, maybe a kindergarten. Little has changed.....except the faces.

(eg., today, a northern state --which will go unnamed-- is not delivering to the Union cavalry shiploads of diseased horses, left to die on the wharves of the Potomac. Kentucky had healthy horses ready to sell to the army; but the other state won the contract from the war dept. More gov't. waste, dollars gone.....)
Old 03-08-2013, 03:05 PM   #1504
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LitGal View Post
Just finished Carl Sandburg's Lincoln: The War Years, Vol. 3. (Have been making my way through these since the early 90's. One beauty of ER is the chance to read Vol. 3 in just six mo.!)
Thanks LitGal. Do you think this Amazon book is an equivalent to your readings Abraham Lincoln: The Prairie Years and The War Years: Carl Sandburg: 9780156027526: Amazon.com: Books Or is there a better way to do this book?
I'm Not Sure....
Old 03-08-2013, 06:36 PM   #1505

I'm Not Sure....

LsbCal, I'm not familiar with this edition; I only have the four-volume set on the war years. (Nothing distilled about it.) The major criticism noted on Amazon is that the reviewer thought Sandburg took too many "impressionistic" liberties with his material, in the distilled single-volume version. I haven't seen much personal interpretation in the multi-volume set. (He doesn't seem to have the space in which to do that. He seems too busy accounting for every detail, in chronological order, ever logged about AL.)

Nonetheless, the single volume would be far more time-effective. Reading these three volumes has felt a bit like climbing Mt. McKinley. For the gist of the story, the single volume might be the way to go.

(Personally, I still have to read Vol. 4, PLUS go back and find a copy of the Prairie Years.) But then....it's just a different version of "fun." Some folks hike Yosemite, others bike through Missouri. Some have the chance to sip wine while the vaporettos glide by in Venice. IMHO, books like Sandburg's simply place us in the corner of Lincoln's office while he navigates the Civil War. It's just another form of tourism. (But we get to make our own coffee.)

Sorry if I haven't answered your question. Wouldn't it be interesting if we could find out how Sandburg would answer the question?
Old 03-08-2013, 07:49 PM   #1506
Gone but not forgotten

I just finished "Touch & Go " by Lisa Gardner . It was a good read but the ending was predictable .
Old 03-09-2013, 06:38 PM   #1507
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I just finished re-reading Barbara Kingsolver's _The Bean Trees_ and want to see what else she has written.
Old 03-09-2013, 07:46 PM   #1508

Finished Wolf Hall and Bring up the Bodies by Hilary Mantel. If you like English historical fiction (Henry VIII and Thomas Cromwell), i highly recommend. Waiting on third, and last title in series, with anticipation.

About 1/3 way through Gone Girl. Had no plans to read it until DD recommended it. Difficult to put down.
Old 03-18-2013, 08:58 AM   #1509

Did not see this posted yet, but if you have not read it yet, you can get an e-version of Dan Brown's DaVinci Code for free through March 24th.
Old 03-18-2013, 04:33 PM   #1510
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accidental Retiree View Post
I just finished re-reading Barbara Kingsolver's _The Bean Trees_ and want to see what else she has written.
I highly recommend her book The Poisonwood Bible.
Old 03-18-2013, 06:46 PM   #1511

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post

I highly recommend her book The Poisonwood Bible.
Thanks! It is on my list.
Old 03-18-2013, 07:32 PM   #1512
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accidental Retiree View Post

Thanks! It is on my list.
I liked her Animal Vegetable Miracle as well.

Old 03-21-2013, 06:07 PM   #1513
Give me a forum ...

I thought I read about Pound Foolish: Exposing the Dark Side of the Personal Finance Industry, by Helaine Olen, here but a search doesn't turn it up. If I saw it in another thread, thanks for the hint. It is a good expose of the inanity of the Kiyosakis, Ormans, the get rich quick gurus, and the brokers, advisors and other financial services denizens who pretend to be on our side..
Old 03-24-2013, 02:54 AM   #1514
Recycles dryer sheets

Bram Stoker's Dracula, downloaded for free on Kindle. With the current vampire genre gaining popularity, I decided I'd go back and read the classic. I was surprised at how much I enjoyed this book. It was a terrific read, rich in descriptive narrative, and full of suspense. It even had me thinking that classic "no you idiot, don't go down into the dark room alone!" response. Stoker also managed to write the book from multiple first person points of view through the clever use of diaries and journals. While this book was written in the 19th century, I found it still relevant, suspenseful, clever, and completely entertaining.
Old 03-26-2013, 07:25 PM   #1515
Give me a forum ...

This is not a book I read, but a composition copied into an email sent to me by a very close friend. I thought the forum community might enjoy it.
About the author...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regina_Brett

45 Things by Regina Brett

1. Life isn't fair, but it's still good.
2. When in doubt, just take the next small step.
3. Life is too short; enjoy it.
4. Your job won't take care of you when you are sick. Your friends and family will.
5. Pay off your credit cards every month.
6. You don't have to win every argument. Stay true to yourself.
7. Cry with someone. It's more healing than crying alone.
8. It's OK to get angry with God. He can take it.
9. Save for retirement, starting with your first paycheck.
10. When it comes to chocolate, resistance is futile.
11. Make peace with your past so it won't screw up the present.
12. It's OK to let your children see you cry.
13. Don't compare your life to others. You have no idea what their journey is all about.
14. If a relationship has to be a secret, you shouldn't be in it.
15. Everything can change in the blink of an eye, but don't worry; God never blinks.
16.. Take a deep breath. It calms the mind.
17. Get rid of anything that isn't useful. Clutter weighs you down in many ways.
18. Whatever doesn't kill you really does make you stronger.
19. It's never too late to be happy. But it's all up to you and no one else.
20. When it comes to going after what you love in life, don't take no for an answer.
21. Burn the candles, use the nice sheets, wear the fancy lingerie. Don't save it for a special occasion. Today is special.
22. Over prepare; then go with the flow.
23. Be eccentric now. Don't wait for old age to wear purple.
24. The most important sex organ is the brain.
25. No one is in charge of your happiness but you.
26. Frame every so-called disaster with these words 'In five years, will this matter?'
27. Always choose life.
28. Forgive.
29. What other people think of you is none of your business.
30. Time heals almost everything. Give time time.
31. However good or bad a situation is, it will change.
32. Don't take yourself so seriously. No one else does.
33. Believe in miracles.
34. God loves you because of who God is, not because of anything you did or didn't do.
35. Don't audit life. Show up and make the most of it now.
36. Growing old beats the alternative of dying young.
37. Your children get only one childhood.
38. All that truly matters in the end is that you loved.
39. Get outside every day. Miracles are waiting everywhere.
40. If we all threw our problems in a pile and saw everyone else's, we'd grab ours back.
41. Envy is a waste of time. Accept what you already have, not what you need.
42. The best is yet to come...
43. No matter how you feel, get up, dress up, and show up.
44. Yield.
45. Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Old 03-27-2013, 06:38 PM   #1516

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChainsBeGone View Post
Bram Stoker's Dracula, downloaded for free on Kindle. With the current vampire genre gaining popularity, I decided I'd go back and read the classic. I was surprised at how much I enjoyed this book. It was a terrific read, rich in descriptive narrative, and full of suspense. It even had me thinking that classic "no you idiot, don't go down into the dark room alone!" response. Stoker also managed to write the book from multiple first person points of view through the clever use of diaries and journals. While this book was written in the 19th century, I found it still relevant, suspenseful, clever, and completely entertaining.
Thanks. I just downloaded this free book from amazon.
Old 03-27-2013, 07:12 PM   #1517

Some excellent books I've read recently:

Fiction:
State of Wonder: a Novel (P.S.) by Ann Patchett
How to Get Filthy Rich in Rising Asia by Mohsin Hamid
Lacuna by Barbara Kingsolver
Fieldword by Mischa Berlinski
Non-Fiction:
The Signal and the Noise
by Nate Silver, an informative book about data and predictions
Old 03-28-2013, 06:47 AM   #1518

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
This is not a book I read, but a composition copied into an email sent to me by a very close friend. I thought the forum community might enjoy it.
About the author...Regina Brett - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

45 Things by Regina Brett

1. Life isn't fair, but it's still good.
2. When in doubt, just take the next small step.
3. Life is too short; enjoy it.
4. Your job won't take care of you when you are sick. Your friends and family will.
5. Pay off your credit cards every month.
6. You don't have to win every argument. Stay true to yourself.
7. Cry with someone. It's more healing than crying alone.
8. It's OK to get angry with God. He can take it.
9. Save for retirement, starting with your first paycheck.
10. When it comes to chocolate, resistance is futile.
11. Make peace with your past so it won't screw up the present.
12. It's OK to let your children see you cry.
13. Don't compare your life to others. You have no idea what their journey is all about.
14. If a relationship has to be a secret, you shouldn't be in it.
15. Everything can change in the blink of an eye, but don't worry; God never blinks.
16.. Take a deep breath. It calms the mind.
17. Get rid of anything that isn't useful. Clutter weighs you down in many ways.
18. Whatever doesn't kill you really does make you stronger.
19. It's never too late to be happy. But it's all up to you and no one else.
20. When it comes to going after what you love in life, don't take no for an answer.
21. Burn the candles, use the nice sheets, wear the fancy lingerie. Don't save it for a special occasion. Today is special.
22. Over prepare; then go with the flow.
23. Be eccentric now. Don't wait for old age to wear purple.
24. The most important sex organ is the brain.
25. No one is in charge of your happiness but you.
26. Frame every so-called disaster with these words 'In five years, will this matter?'
27. Always choose life.
28. Forgive.
29. What other people think of you is none of your business.
30. Time heals almost everything. Give time time.
31. However good or bad a situation is, it will change.
32. Don't take yourself so seriously. No one else does.
33. Believe in miracles.
34. God loves you because of who God is, not because of anything you did or didn't do.
35. Don't audit life. Show up and make the most of it now.
36. Growing old beats the alternative of dying young.
37. Your children get only one childhood.
38. All that truly matters in the end is that you loved.
39. Get outside every day. Miracles are waiting everywhere.
40. If we all threw our problems in a pile and saw everyone else's, we'd grab ours back.
41. Envy is a waste of time. Accept what you already have, not what you need.
42. The best is yet to come...
43. No matter how you feel, get up, dress up, and show up.
44. Yield.
45. Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Thanks for posting. So true and good reminders!
Old 03-28-2013, 11:20 AM   #1519

I just finished Jane Juska's A Round-Heeled Woman: My Late-Life Adventures in Sex and Romance. It was a quick and entertaining read.

Having read Hilary Mantel's Wolf Hall last year, now I am starting her Bring Up the Bodies.
Old 03-28-2013, 11:29 AM   #1520

I'm reading "the art and science of low carbohydrate living". Sorry, doing links on this tablet is a rpita.

The book is a very technical look at how people with a "carbohydrate intolerance" can live on a low carb scheme "forever" and be healthier than on the (failed) low fat scheme.
Closed Thread