Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-05-2013, 01:02 PM   #1521

Latest by Ted Kerasote, called Pukka's Promise. Very interesting, and provocative with regard to his ideas on food and health care. I consider his Merle's Door to be one of the finest dog/human relationship books I've ever read. This one is long on research rather than stories, but an excellent read for those wishing to learn more about longevity in pets and how we can make choices to improve the odds of our own animals living longer and healthier lives.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-06-2013, 06:19 PM   #1522
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I just finished " A week in winter " by Maeve Binchy .It was written right before she died.If you are a Maeve Binchy fan do not miss this book .Halfway into the book I was so in love with the Inn that I almost tried to book it before I remembered it was fictional.

Old 04-06-2013, 06:24 PM   #1523
Give me a forum ...

Do these count ?

The Vegetable Gardener's Bible, 2nd Edition: Edward C. Smith: 9781603424752: Amazon.com: Books

and

Natural Solutions to Things That Bug You: Dr. Myles Bader: 9780988295506: Amazon.com: Books
Old 04-06-2013, 06:43 PM   #1524
Recycles dryer sheets

The Story of Edgar Sawtelle - pretty good book but the ending sucked big time. After reading 500 pages I felt liking throwing the book across the room -- except it was on my Nook.

Water for Elephants (The movie was okay too)

The Bone Collector. (I just ordered the 2nd book - Coffin Dancer).
Old 04-06-2013, 07:13 PM   #1525
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
I just finished " A week in winter " by Maeve Binchy .It was written right before she died.If you are a Maeve Binchy fan do not miss this book .Halfway into the book I was so in love with the Inn that I almost tried to book it before I remembered it was fictional.
I am glad to read a good review. It is another that I have on order from the library, right up there with Sarah's dog books. I love this thread!
Old 04-06-2013, 09:54 PM   #1526
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I just finished Sharp Objects, by Gillian Flynn who also wrote Gone Girl, which I haven't read. Sharp Objects was very unpleasant and overall had a lot of really sick characters. Since I paid for it, I made myself finish it. I wouldn't suggest it to anyone.
Old 04-07-2013, 06:20 AM   #1527
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ally View Post
I just finished Sharp Objects, by Gillian Flynn who also wrote Gone Girl, which I haven't read. Sharp Objects was very unpleasant and overall had a lot of really sick characters. Since I paid for it, I made myself finish it. I wouldn't suggest it to anyone.
Gotta disagree. Sharp Objects was a very good book, albeit with some sick characters. Oddly, while I liked Sharp Objects I couldn't get into Gone Girl, which everyone else loves.
Old 04-07-2013, 06:50 AM   #1528
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
Gotta disagree. Sharp Objects was a very good book, albeit with some sick characters. Oddly, while I liked Sharp Objects I couldn't get into Gone Girl, which everyone else loves.
I read Gone Girl first and thought it was good but did not live up to the adulation. I rarely rarely don't finish a book but I could not get through Sharp Objects (mostly story line but slow pacing and characters I just didn't care about) and after maybe 75 pages skipped ahead to the last chapter and sent it back to the library.

Bestwifeever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 09:11 AM   #1529
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I liked Sharp Objects but I found the ending predictable .
Old 04-07-2013, 04:25 PM   #1530

If I had borrowed it from the library, I would have quit part way through. It wasn't boring, that I will give it. My daughter in law liked Gone Girl, so she asked me to mail Sharp Objects to her. She's mailing Gone Girl to me. I hope it's better.
Old 04-07-2013, 04:37 PM   #1531
gone traveling

I'm currently reading "Red Star Rising" by Brian Freemantle.

I have read every Charlie Muffin book so far.
Old 04-07-2013, 05:31 PM   #1532
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
If I had borrowed it from the library, I would have quit part way through. It wasn't boring, that I will give it. My daughter in law liked Gone Girl, so she asked me to mail Sharp Objects to her. She's mailing Gone Girl to me. I hope it's better.
Her books are filled with dark characters and have twists & turns you do not see coming . I read Gone Girl and was so intrigued I read her other books . I found Dark Places much better than Sharp Objects .
Old 05-01-2013, 01:15 PM   #1533

I'm reading and skimming this: The Great Depression: A Diary: Benjamin Roth, James Ledbetter, Daniel B. Roth: Amazon.com: Books

The diary it is based on was written by a Youngstown, Ohio attorney. My own investment approach is intended to cover a crash but has yet to be crash tested. Might give ER investors something to consider. I think if you are an older investor, buying into major declines without a hint of market strength is unwise. The 1930's were much worse then the recent economic decline.

Quote:
When the stock market crashed in 1929, Benjamin Roth was a young lawyer in Youngstown, Ohio. After he began to grasp the magnitude of what had happened to American economic life, he decided to set down his impressions in his diary.This collection of those entries reveals another side of the Great Depression—one lived through by ordinary, middle-class Americans, who on a daily basis grappled with a swiftly changing economy coupled with anxiety about the unknown future. Roth’s depiction of life in time of widespread foreclosures, a schizophrenic stock market, political unrest and mass unemployment seem to speak directly to readers today.
Old 05-01-2013, 01:16 PM   #1534

We are going on a trip to England & Scotland. We'll be in London a fair amount and after reading a chapter in this book I decided to buy it in Ebook form: Londoners: The Days and Nights of London Now--As Told by Those Who Love It, Hate It, Live It, Left It, and Long for It: Craig Taylor: 9780062005861: Amazon.com: Books

It's about people currently living in London and working there. People from all walks of life. Kind of a Studs Terkel effort. It should be easy to pick up and put down on a vacation since these are short vignettes of the individuals with a lot written from their viewpoints.
Old 05-01-2013, 01:21 PM   #1535

I was looking for this thread lately. I have begun reading "Naked Statistics" by Charles Wheelan. It is in the mold of the 2 Freakonomics books so if you liked those you will like this one.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 02:23 PM   #1536

Just finished Creole Belle by James Lee Burke.......more fun with Dave & Clete.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 02:30 PM   #1537
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
We are going on a trip to England & Scotland. We'll be in London a fair amount and after reading a chapter in this book I decided to buy it in Ebook form: Londoners: The Days and Nights of London Now--As Told by Those Who Love It, Hate It, Live It, Left It, and Long for It: Craig Taylor: 9780062005861: Amazon.com: Books

It's about people currently living in London and working there. People from all walks of life. Kind of a Studs Terkel effort. It should be easy to pick up and put down on a vacation since these are short vignettes of the individuals with a lot written from their viewpoints.
Lsbcal, you might also like Capital by John Lanchester. A novel about London during the financial implosion--it centers on a banker and his wife. But he also weaves in the lives of everyone who lives on a particular street in London. It reflects the diversity of Londoners, mostly through the lives of the immigrants who live there. Funny, spot-on characterizations and touching at the same time.

It's a long one though, and you would have to keep at it to keep everyone's stories straight!
Old 05-01-2013, 02:38 PM   #1538

Hi Gardenfun, thanks for the suggestion. I'll check it out.

A few years ago I read "Other People's Money" by Justin Cartwright. Really good. Here is the Amazon review:
Quote:
In a world still uneasy after the financial turmoil of 2008, Justin Cartwright puts a human face on the dishonesties and misdeeds of the bankers who imperiled us. Tubal and Co. is a small, privately owned bank in England. As the company's longtime leader, Sir Harry Tubal, slips into senility, his son Julian takes over the reins-and not all is well. The company's hedge fund now owns innumerable toxic assets, and Julian fears what will happen when their real value is discovered.

Artair Macleod, an actor manager whose ex-wife, Fleur, was all but stolen by Sir Harry, discovers that his company's monthly grant has not been paid by Tubal. Getting no answers from Julian, he goes to the local press, and an eager young reporter begins asking questions. Bit by bit, the reporter discovers that the grant money is in fact a payoff from Fleur, written off by the bank as a charitable donation, and a scandal breaks. Julian's temperament and judgment prove a bad fit for the economic forces of the era, and the family business plunges into chaos as he tries to hide the losses and massage the balance sheet.
Old 05-01-2013, 09:00 PM   #1539
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post

Thanks so much for this recommendation. I love London and look forward to a good read.
Old 05-01-2013, 09:57 PM   #1540

Now I'm reading A Week in Winter by Maeve Binchey. I love her books and this is no exception. Maybe by explaining that I love her books, you all can understand how Sharp Objects by Flynn was so unpleasant to me. In Binchey's books, I love nearly all the characters, but didn't even like one character in Sharp Objects. To each his own, I guess.