Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-02-2013, 06:00 AM   #1541
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I'm in the middle of The Alchemists: Three Central Bankers and a World on Fire, by Neil Irwin. Good history of central banks and when and how they screwed up royally.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-19-2013, 12:35 PM   #1542
Give me a forum ...

I just finished "The Burgess Boys " by Elizabeth Strout . Great book . The characters really draw you in . I had previously read Olive Kitteridge " by her and it was good just strange .

Old 05-19-2013, 04:50 PM   #1543
Recycles dryer sheets

I just finished "Redshirts" by John Scalzi. I don't normally read science fiction, but this Star Trek satire/critique was fantastic.
Old 05-19-2013, 05:13 PM   #1544
Recycles dryer sheets

I just finished "To Kill A Mockingbird". Haven't read it since middle school (a long, long time ago!) It is truly a classic, and remains as relevant today as when first published.
Old 05-29-2013, 10:10 AM   #1545
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I just finished "The Power of Ideas: Infinite Resource on a Finite Planet". I think I had been reading too many post-apocalyptic novels. This one gave me hope that the apocalypse doesn't necessarily have to come. Up until now I have considered the gun and the chainsaw and the purse seiner man's eventual ticket to a planet without large animals, trees, and fish. The author says that our current rate of cross pollination of ideas will let us innovate our way out of our upcoming energy (end of oil), global warming, deforestation, population, fresh water, pollution, etc problems. Overall an interesting and uplifting book to read.
Old 05-29-2013, 10:32 AM   #1546
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianB View Post
I just finished "To Kill A Mockingbird". Haven't read it since middle school (a long, long time ago!) It is truly a classic, and remains as relevant today as when first published.
+1

One of my favorite books. I've read it several times. Also like the Gregory Peck movie.
Old 05-29-2013, 10:33 AM   #1547

Just read Atlas Shrugged. Now I know what everyone is talking about.

Currently reading "Tender is the Night". My selection for a book club reading.
Old 05-30-2013, 05:53 PM   #1548

The Paris Wife by Paula McLain. Historical fiction about Ernest Hemingway's marriage to Hadley. If you are remotely interested in Hemingway and his time, this is a wonderful read.

I am ready to plan a road trip to the Hemingway-Pfeiffer Museum in Piggott, AR, although I am disappointed in how those two behaved. Hadley is the nice guy.
Old 05-30-2013, 07:01 PM   #1549
gone traveling

Just finished reading O'Reilly's Killing Kennedy: The End of Camelot - Interesting tidbits of information and very easy to read.
Old 05-30-2013, 08:13 PM   #1550
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohyes View Post

I am ready to plan a road trip to the Hemingway-Pfeiffer Museum in Piggott, AR, although I am disappointed in how those two behaved. Hadley is the nice guy.
I'm a little confused. Wasn't Hadley a woman, married to Ernest, a man? By "I am disappointed in how those two behaved," you mean Ernest and Pauline?

I see that the Pfeiffers had a 60,000 acre farm. I assume this in in the flat alluvial soil where someone today is getting rich on soybeans and richer yet on price support payments and some of the other wonderful payola for big farmers.

Too bad Ernest was such a blowhard creep, sounds like Pauline was a good wife to have and to hold.

I am reading William Wharton, Shrapnel. Not a good book to stimulate one's gung-ho-for-war attitudes, but very interesting nonetheless. From an excellent writer who was there, in the fullness of his grunthood.

Ha
Old 05-30-2013, 08:26 PM   #1551
Recycles dryer sheets

Just finished Whiskey Sour - A Thriller (Jack Daniels Mysteries). It features Jacqueline "Jack" Daniels investigating a serial murder. There's plenty of humor mixed in with the gory parts. I enjoyed it enough that I'll continue with the next book in the series. This was my free loaner for May in the Amazon Kindle Owner's Lending Library, one of the benefits of being an Amazon Prime member.
Old 05-31-2013, 09:33 AM   #1552

Yes. i meant to say that Ernest and his second wife (the one with parents in Arkansas) were the bad eggs and Hadley, the first wife, was the good one. Everything I have read about Hadley points to her being just a really nice human, always choosing to see the good in everybody.

When about halfway through The Paris Wife, I found the webpage for the museum in Piggot and read through the timeline posted. The book included many, if not all, of those events, i.e. when Hadley lost a valise containing all of Ernest's work up to that point.

I plan to re-read A Moveable Feast, Hemingway's autobiography about his years in Paris.....and also, visit the AR museum. The book was checked out yesterday at our public library. While I don't want to spend the next year of my life reading about Hemingway, it's like a bad trainwreck that is drawing me in...

Yes, 63,000 acres of farmland. When telling a friend about that a week or so ago, he did not believe me. My friend thought he had a big farm (and he does by Arkansas individual owner standards) until hearing that.

Ernest bequeathed royalties for A Sun Also Rises to his first wife. I read that came to about $30,000/year.
Old 05-31-2013, 09:40 AM   #1553

Just finishing with "Salvation on Sand Mountain" about the religious snake handlers in the south.
Old 05-31-2013, 10:10 AM   #1554
Dryer sheet wannabe

Killing Kennedy by Bill O'Reilly and 11/22/63 by Stephen King. Two interesting takes on the same story. Also finally read one of my "someday" books, Exodus by Leon Uris.
Old 05-31-2013, 03:27 PM   #1555
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Yes. i meant to say that Ernest and his second wife (the one with parents in Arkansas) were the bad eggs and Hadley, the first wife, was the good one. Everything I have read about Hadley points to her being just a really nice human, always choosing to see the good in everybody.

When about halfway through The Paris Wife, I found the webpage for the museum in Piggot and read through the timeline posted. The book included many, if not all, of those events, i.e. when Hadley lost a valise containing all of Ernest's work up to that point.

I plan to re-read A Moveable Feast, Hemingway's autobiography about his years in Paris.....and also, visit the AR museum. The book was checked out yesterday at our public library. While I don't want to spend the next year of my life reading about Hemingway, it's like a bad trainwreck that is drawing me in...

Yes, 63,000 acres of farmland. When telling a friend about that a week or so ago, he did not believe me. My friend thought he had a big farm (and he does by Arkansas individual owner standards) until hearing that.

Ernest bequeathed royalties for A Sun Also Rises to his first wife. I read that came to about $30,000/year.
ohyes, thanks for posting about this. I also went to the Piggott website and read that timeline. Very interesting. It also seems that one of Pauline's sisters, maybe Virginia, was in love with Ernest. I have never been much attracted to Hemingway as an author or a person, and I agree with your assessment of him in his marriages. One wife that might have been fun but was clearly a step down in some ways from the 1st 2 was #3, Martha Gelhorn. Hemingway was a full on adventurer, and I guess his wives appreciated that in him.

Ha
Old 05-31-2013, 05:24 PM   #1556

Quote:
The Paris Wife by Paula McLain. Historical fiction about Ernest Hemingway's marriage to Hadley. If you are remotely interested in Hemingway and his time, this is a wonderful read.

I read this, too, and liked it even though I have never been a Hemingway fan. I found it interesting that Hemingway would probably never have had his much vaunted Paris period if not for the income of first wife Hadley's trust fund. I think he did love her best of all his wives, but at the time could not forgive her losing that valise full of his manuscripts.

Right now I am reading Philippa Gregory's "The Kingmaker's Daughter". She wrote "The Other Boleyn Girl" and "The Red Queen" and "The White Queen". This novel is a racy, fictionalized account of the daughters of Richard Neville, Earl of Warwick, and full of fifteenth century intrigue.
Old 06-06-2013, 07:05 PM   #1557

I've been reading my way through older Colin Dexter books. He's a wonderful British writer with a wry sense of humor. If you have seen the Inspector Morse shows on PBS (or viewed the Netflix DVD's) he has bit cameo appearances in them. The latest one I read: Amazon.com: Jewel That Was Ours (Inspector Morse) eBook: Colin Dexter: Kindle Store

There is a nice list of his books here on Wikipedia:
Colin Dexter - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 06-07-2013, 10:49 AM   #1558
Recycles dryer sheets

UNVEILING THE RETIREMENT MYTH by Jim Otar (excellent, refreshing look)

Retirement Portfolios... By Michael Zwecker (dull, verbose)

Now reading a couple of very interesting Christian books. The Gospel of Thomas by Lynn Bauman. And 'Wisdom Jesus' by Cynthia Bougeault.

'On Walden Pond' is on tap.
Old 06-07-2013, 01:48 PM   #1559

Just finished "Tender is the Night" by F. Scott Fitzgerald. I loved Fitzgerald's use of language and style of writing when I was in college. I suggested this book, which I hadn't read, as one of our book club readings. 40 years later I wasn't quite so impressed with his writing but all in all it was a worthwhile read. The book club discussion helped me to like it a little bit more.

Just started Michael Pollen's "Cooked".
Old 06-08-2013, 03:55 PM   #1560

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
I thought I read about Pound Foolish: Exposing the Dark Side of the Personal Finance Industry, by Helaine Olen, here but a search doesn't turn it up. If I saw it in another thread, thanks for the hint. It is a good expose of the inanity of the Kiyosakis, Ormans, the get rich quick gurus, and the brokers, advisors and other financial services denizens who pretend to be on our side..
I got it from the library. I say "don't bother". The problem I have with it is that I never paid any attention to these personal finance celebs, so hundreds of pages describing where they came from, what they say, and why it's all BS is a "so what?" for me. And Olen goes into a long chapter on the horrible shaft that women get at every turn. Maybe all true, but I could hardly stay awake. Maybe it'll turn around in the last two chapters , which I have yet to read.