Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-28-2009, 07:43 AM   #141
Full time employment: Posting here.

My reading list for the past month followes:

No Logo by Naomi Klein

Mistakes were made but not by me. by Carol Tavris

What's the Matter with Kansas?: How Conservatives Won the Heart of America Thomas Frank

The Great Derangement: A Terrifying True Story of War, Politics, and Religion at the Twilight of the American Empire by Matt Taibbi
I am just about finished this book. Since most of the book I have read this month were pretty heavy I am going to check out this one:

At Least in the City Someone Would Hear Me Scream: Misadventures in Search of the Simple Life by Wade Rouse

La tavola e il letto non hanno restrizioni.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-28-2009, 10:08 AM   #142
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by redduck View Post
I'm rereading "Sometimes a Great Notion." Still a terrific read.
This is one of the very great American novels. It will be an outstanding book 100 years from now, just as the Scarlet Letter is still an outstanding book.
It explains most of what there is to be explained about the Northwest character. Whatever tiny bit Kesey misses you can get from Sherman Alexie's books.

I just finished "The Spies of Warsaw" a recent Alan Furst novel about the run-up to WW2 in Eastern Europe. Like all his stuff, very entertaining. This one I beleve is a little easier to follow than some others because it follows a more ordinary chronology.

Also I have discovered an outstanding woman writer named Carol Glickfield, and highly recommend her two works, Useful Gifts, and Swimming Toward the Ocean. If you like well written personal fiction you might like these. Also her excellent treatment of female characters (men too, really) helped me understand a little more about what it is like to be on the other side of that great divide.

Ha

Old 06-28-2009, 07:14 PM   #143

Pride and Prejudice and Zombies

If you are able to take things not too seriously , this is a fun book.

Pride and Prejudice and Zombies - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I am about 3/4 of the way through it and am enjoying it.
Old 06-29-2009, 08:45 AM   #144

I'm re-reading (for the umpteenth time) Julian May's scifi series (trilogy of series? 9 books total): The Saga of the Pliocene Exile; Intervention; and the Galactic Mileu Trilogy. Fantastic books.
Old 07-01-2009, 02:18 PM   #145
Recycles dryer sheets

Sort of stumbled onto a book that I really, really liked. It was a National Book Award nomination (2000?). Plainsong by Kent Haruf. If you grew up in a rural area/town you will relate to some of the characters in this excellent book.

t.r.
Old 07-01-2009, 04:00 PM   #146
Give me a forum ...

Just finished "Swallow the Ocean " by Laura Flynn . If you liked the Glass Castle you'll like this book . They are very similar .
Old 07-02-2009, 07:02 PM   #147
Give me a forum ...

Karen Armstrong is one of my favourite authors. I have read "The Narrow Gate", "A History of God", "Muhammad, a prophet for our time". This led me to "No god but God" by Reza Aslan, which I'm halfway through. I'm enjoying all of them.
Old 07-02-2009, 08:24 PM   #148

For your reading pleasure. A lot of these can be downloaded on the Kindle. Just be careful and shop around. The ones in the public domain can be downloaded for under a buck but Amazon will link you to the ones selling much higher.

Newsweek's Top 100 Books: The Meta-List | Newsweek Books | Newsweek.com
Fifty Books for Our Times | Newsweek Books | Newsweek.com

La tavola e il letto non hanno restrizioni.
Old 07-03-2009, 11:27 PM   #149

her brief bio of buddha is good too..

Buddha - Karen Armstrong - Penguin Group (USA)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Karen Armstrong is one of my favourite authors. I have read "The Narrow Gate", "A History of God", "Muhammad, a prophet for our time". This led me to "No god but God" by Reza Aslan, which I'm halfway through. I'm enjoying all of them.
Old 07-23-2009, 07:11 PM   #150
Give me a forum ...

I recently discovered Janet Evanovich 's books . They are the perfect beach book and I'm working on reading her whole series .
Old 07-23-2009, 07:33 PM   #151
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Martha Grimes' Richard Jury mysteries. All set in Britain, with lots of plot twists.
Old 07-23-2009, 08:10 PM   #152
Moderator Emeritus

Speaking of mysteries in Great Britain, I have always enjoyed Reginald Hill's Dalziel and Pascoe series. Also Elizabeth George and Ian Rankin. Right now I'm reading Jane Haddam's Living Witness, featuring Armenian retired FBI investigator Gregor Demarkian, set in Philadelphia.

Amazing how prolific some of these writers are!

Bestwifeever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 06:09 PM   #153

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
I recently discovered Janet Evanovich 's books . They are the perfect beach book and I'm working on reading her whole series .
I have read her Stephanie Plum series and they are laugh out loud funny. I love books like those!
Old 07-28-2009, 06:49 PM   #154

"Starfish", by Peter Watts. This is a seriously disturbing book, a work of dystopian fiction reminiscent of some of Robert Silverberg's work from the late 1960s and early 1970s. It maintains a claustrophobic sort of feel through the entire toboggan ride to disaster. This is not a particularly easy read, but can seriously kick-start thinking on the nature of people.

Great summer beach book...
Old 08-08-2009, 09:16 PM   #155
Give me a forum ...

Last week, I read Chasing CÚzanne by Peter Mayle. I have not read fiction in a while, and only picked up this up because I have read this British author's series of non-fiction books on life in Provence, France.

Just finished Travels with Charley in Search of America by John Steinbeck. Steinbeck is unlikely the first, but perhaps the most well-known RV boondocker who set out to see the US in a truck-camper with his dog Charley in 1960. I was drawn to it due to my recent interest in RV. It is a worthwhile read to see Steinbeck's description of the US as it was in 1960. However, he did not linger long in each locale to provide details like those I have enjoyed in some current blogs of RV nomads.

Near the end of the book, he observed first hand racism (Ruby Bridges) in New Orleans in 1960. Reading the account, it felt like yesterday yet it has been 50 years.

PS. I just searched this forum for the above title by Steinbeck, and unsurprisingly found that it is a popular book here.
Old 08-08-2009, 11:52 PM   #156
Dryer sheet wannabe

Cadillac Man

After a slow thoughtful read of this book it is unlikely anyone on the forum will not feel blessed.
Old 08-09-2009, 04:15 PM   #157

Recently read Morality for Beautiful Girls by Alexander McCall Smith. One in his series on a lady detective agency in Botswana. Humerous and entertaining. In this book J.L.B. Matekoni who runs the automotive repair shop gets depressed. Mma Makutsi, the detective agency assistent, takes over the car shop and helps a client select a beauty contest winner.

The first book in this series was The No.1 Ladies' Detective Agency. All the books in this series are short ones and so you don't have to invest a lot to read them.
Old 08-10-2009, 02:45 PM   #158

Joe DiMaggio: The Hero's Life by Richard Ben Cramer -- a fascinating biography that I just finished. And I picked up some fiction the other day and I'm reading it fast: Run: A Novel by Ann Patchett.
Old 08-10-2009, 02:59 PM   #159
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
And I picked up some fiction the other day and I'm reading it fast: Run: A Novel by Ann Patchett.

I read that, a fast read . I am starting "Whistling in the Dark " and " Echoes " both fiction . This summer has been brutally hot in Florida so I've been spending a lot of time in the afternoon reading . I am really looking forward to cooler weather .
Old 08-10-2009, 11:37 PM   #160

Just finished P.D. James' Innocent Blood, and my head is still spinning. It was one of the most unusually constructed books I have read. P.D. James' usual clear-eyed take on English class and society in a situation that unfolds rather than being reconstructed as it would have been in a whodunnit.