Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-06-2014, 09:38 AM   #1721
Recycles dryer sheets

Just finished A Beautiful Mind by Sylvia Nasar. A biography of the mathematician John Nash.
Some fairly intense reading.

Now reading Conspiracy of Fools by Kurt Eichenwald. A detailed account of the fall of Enron.
I have to keep reminding myself this is not fiction.

...open up your mind and see like me...
Avalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-06-2014, 09:53 AM   #1722

Majic Bus (sic) by Douglas Brinkley. The Majic Bus: An American Odyssey: Douglas Brinkley, Brian Lamb: 9781560254966: Amazon.com: Books

Here's a nice long travelogue that would be perfect for you RVers to read while traversing these fine United States. I really enjoyed this, about his taking a group of Hofstra University students on a semester-long trip across the US to learn about their country up close and personal. Especially cool was their meeting with William S Burroughs, in light of his 100th birthday being marked in the past few days.

A wonderful discussion of how he interacted with the students, how they saw their country really for the first time in many cases, and the interactions with locals from coast to coast.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 10:01 AM   #1723
Recycles dryer sheets

I mostly read history and just finished:
Divided Affections The Extraordinary Life of Maria Cosway: Celebrity Artist and Thomas Jefferson's Impossible Love

It is the story of a woman Thomas Jefferson met in France between 1784-1789. It provides an interesting look at the culture in Europe at this time.
Old 02-06-2014, 03:13 PM   #1724
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I am reading John Galsworthy's Man of Property. I think it was a $0.99 kindle book. I read it as a high school sophomore, it was assigned for class. I liked it then and I like it now. Galsworthy seems to me to be a very modern writer. Some cautionary things in this, about over-emphasizing the material.

Ha
Old 02-06-2014, 03:27 PM   #1725
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
I am reading John Galsworthy's Man of Property. I think it was a $0.99 kindle book. I read it as a high school sophomore, it was assigned for class. I liked it then and I like it now. Galsworthy seems to me to be a very modern writer. Some cautionary things in this, about over-emphasizing the material.

Ha
I saw The Forsyte Saga on Masterpiece Theatre. Still available in a 5 disc series from Netflix. It was memorable.
Old 02-17-2014, 10:53 AM   #1726

I haven't yet read this, but I listened to an interview with an author, Candice Millard, who wrote Destiny Of The Republic. It's about President Garfield and seems good. That woman is bright.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 10:59 AM   #1727

Reading Sex and the Citadel by Shereen el Feki, an investigation into the sexual mores of the M.E., primarily Egypt, and how religion/society impacts them, and vice versa.

(Especially) For those who've never spent time in the area it'll assist somewhat in comprehending their societies.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 11:15 AM   #1728

I bought this book and really have enjoyed it: The Art of Urban Sketching: Drawing On Location Around The World: Gabriel Campanario: 9781592537259: Amazon.com: Books

It contains loads of sketches (dry media and also wet media) and comments by people throughout the world. Very reasonably priced too. Lots of tips and it's inspirational. The urban sketching community has a web site here with many good artists and some beginners too: Urban Sketchers
Old 02-17-2014, 11:24 AM   #1729
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
I am reading John Galsworthy's Man of Property. I think it was a $0.99 kindle book.
Sounded interesting enough that I checked it out on Amazon and the price is right ... $ 0.00

I am Malala...The Girl Who Stood up For Education and Was Shot by The Taliban by Malala Yousafzai and Christina Lamb. great insight from a different culture.

FDR by Jean Edward Smith ... read a few Presidential bios this winter and this one was very good start to finish

Composed by Roseanne Cash ... read 40 pages of this one. About as interesting as taking a tour through someone's wardrobe closet. Yikes.

A Place On Earth by Wendell Berry. This is my first Wendell Berry book and I have a feeling by this time next year I'll have read a dozen.
Old 02-17-2014, 12:53 PM   #1730
Recycles dryer sheets

Hey, I read Destiny of The Republic. Very good - sheds light on a little-known part of U.S. history. Highly recommended. Glad to hear she interviews well.
Old 02-17-2014, 01:21 PM   #1731
Give me a forum ...

Halperin's Double Down is an enjoyable history of the 2012 election campaigns. Lots of interesting insider tidbits and reactions to actions and gaffs on both sides.
Old 02-17-2014, 06:26 PM   #1732

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
Halperin's Double Down is an enjoyable history of the 2012 election campaigns. Lots of interesting insider tidbits and reactions to actions and gaffs on both sides.
I am reading this one right now. It's a long book but worth the read, a page-turner. I read "Collision 2012" by Dan Balz last year, another good book on the topic.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 08:27 PM   #1733
Give me a forum ...

The Boy who Harnessed the Wind, by William Kamkwamba. The inspirational true story of a very intelligent and creative boy growing up in Malawi, who builds a windmill for his family and his community out of spare parts, thereby giving them access to electricity and running water. The privations the family goes through during a famine are wrenching. William has given a TED talk, there is a documentary about him, and he is currently studying at Dartmouth. After reading this you will not feel inclined to complain about trivial inconveniences fir some time.
Old 02-17-2014, 09:41 PM   #1734

Picked up a copy of "The Journals of Lewis and Clark" at a garage sale last fall. I just started reading it. Not the most exciting read but they spent a winter in this area so I was curious.
Old 02-18-2014, 10:26 PM   #1735
Confused about dryer sheets

I just finished Whitethorn by Bryce Courtenay. Historical fiction from South Africa. A very good read. I want to read some more of Bryce's work.

Just before that The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini, also historical fiction this time from Afghanistan.

Both give a great deal of context to the history of the countries and the turmoil they have experienced. I'd recommend both highly.
Old 02-19-2014, 06:58 AM   #1736
Give me a forum ...

I thoroughly enjoyed Juan Carlos Blake's, "Red Grass River." It is a historical novel about a family gang of moonshiners in south Florida circa 1910 - 1925. Blake writes in a Florida cracker dialog that really captures the flavor of the people, place and time. Trombone Al (see his thread about writing) will be pleased to know that Blake takes great liberty with the facts to capture the spirit of the thing.
Old 02-24-2014, 03:21 PM   #1737

Joe Queenan's memoir, Closing Time, which I read on Sunday, makes me a whole lot more charitable toward his writing than I have been in the past. Whew, if you think your childhood was rough...

I found it very compelling for sure, and I really liked how he couldn't quite bring himself to depict his father as a monster, no matter how monstrous he was to his children. It is a redemptive story in a lot of ways, but not the saccharine kind.

One point he raised that I rarely hear is that there is no collective experience in the USA. He didn't have a Ward and June Cleaver life in the 1950s, nor did the rest of the people he know who lived in Philadelphia's housing projects.

It bears reminding, though, especially to people like me, born later and that make assumptions about people based on my knowledge of "their generation". Woe be to the Millennial who thinks I like 80s's music just because I'm a Gen X!

It is a worthwhile read if you've ever read his satire, even if like me, you didn't really like it much.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 10:23 AM   #1738
Give me a forum ...

Stumbled on, No Way Back, by Andrew Gross at the library. Gross writes a faced paced, easy read thriller. Gross has paired up with James Patterson on a series of books so that may tell you what to expect. Nothing award winning but a good beach read if you like this sort of thing. I downloaded a couple of his ebook titles to add to my travel library.
Old 02-25-2014, 10:46 AM   #1739

I just finished The Silent Wife by Harrison. It was a quick read and pretty good. I enjoyed it. All the PR describes it as the new "Gone Girl", but I think that is misleading. Gone Girl was wild and unique - I loved it, but it's not for everyone. This is not nearly as surprising or extreme, but I still thought it was a good read.
Old 03-02-2014, 06:05 PM   #1740
Give me a forum ...

I enjoyed, The Cuckoo's Calling, by Peter Galbraith (a pseudonym for J. K. Rowling). This was Rowling's foray into non-Potter literature. It features a wounded warrior detective hired to learn the truth about he "suicide" of a super model. I never read any Harry Potter books but can see why people like Rowling's stories. This was a well written easy read with a good plot. Give it a try.