Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-02-2014, 07:54 PM   #1741
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

"Creative Metal Forming" by Longhi & Eid. I'm taking metal & jewelry classes at our local college. I read a lot of technical books and not much fiction.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-02-2014, 08:12 PM   #1742
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
Movie was great . Meryl Streep and Stanley Tucci were perfect .What ever you do do not get Julie Powel's second book "Cleaving " . It is a complete dog !
The buzz about Julie & Julia was partly because it was the first major motion picture that was based on a blog (with a book published in between the two). The sequence alone (notwithstanding opinions of the writing) was quite inspiring at the time for would-be bloggers/authors (part of the unraveling of the "traditional" path to publishing).

I have not seen the second book.

Kindest regards.

Old 03-02-2014, 08:16 PM   #1743
Recycles dryer sheets

Read a lot this past week.
Thank You For Your Service - David Finkel
A fascinating account of Afghan War veterans struggling with PTSD and the deeply flawed system that tries and mostly fails to help. Classic SNAFU.
Gone Girl - Gillian Flynn
Wow!!!! Read it in 2 sittings - unputdownable.
Crazy Town - Robyn Doolittle
Biography of Canada's most notorious living person - Mayor Rob Ford. Written by the journalist who first saw the infamous crack video the book delves into Ford's life from childhood up until the present. A straight forward and non-exploitive record that gives more context to the bizarre behaviours of Ford and illuminates the challenges faced by responsible journalists trying to keep up with the antics of a delusional druggie who just happens to be the mayor of Canada's largest city.
The Navigator of New York - Wayne Johnston
One of the best authors writing today, this Canadian has a unique voice and an ability to immerse you in the story from the first sentence. His books are long and wordy but Johnston's Newfoundland upbringing infuses even the darkest subject matter with a racing, musical cadence that carries the reader on an unforgettable journey.
Old 03-02-2014, 08:21 PM   #1744
Recycles dryer sheets

Should mention that for me the best thing about retirement is having the time and freedom to read a book cover to cover in one sitting if I so choose.
Old 03-02-2014, 08:27 PM   #1745

Just going through all of our Terry Brooks books. Nothing like a bit of tasty fantasy. My wife is leading the way.....I get the books after she finishes. Not like I haven't read them all a time or two.
Old 03-04-2014, 09:31 AM   #1746
gone traveling

Knocking off a couple from Amazon's recent 100 list. Our library had Barbara Kingsolver's "Poisonwood Bible" which I thought was fantastic. This is a book that gets lots of favorable reviews and lots of collective thumbs down. Creative use of telling the story with different voices with a lot of insight into a different culture.

Most of the way through my son's copy of Ralph Ellison's "Invisible Man" ... I was a bit slow in getting engaged but it is a wildly creative tale that, particularly when put in the perspective of when it was written (1952), is truly classic literature.
Old 03-04-2014, 09:55 AM   #1747

I read this Peter Lovesey mystery: Amazon.com: The Tooth Tattoo (Peter Diamond #13) (Peter Diamond Investigation) eBook: Peter Lovesey: Books

I learned about what it might be like to be a musician in a top flight string quartet and about some of the instruments, particularly the viola and violin. Very engaging story takes place mostly in Bath England which we've visited.
Old 03-05-2014, 10:57 AM   #1748
Recycles dryer sheets

The Boy on the Wooden Box.
I stumbled across this book in the 'young adults' library section and couldn't put it down.

The story of Leon Leyson. The youngest boy on Oskar Shindler's 'list'.

Schindler’s List Survivor’s Memoir The Boy on the Wooden Box Published Today | USC Shoah Foundation

...open up your mind and see like me...
Avalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 11:36 AM   #1749
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Russians: the People behind the Power, by Gregory Fiefer. Very topical.

http://www.amazon.ca/Russians-People...hind+the+power
Old 03-05-2014, 06:02 PM   #1750

Rereading Amazon.com: On Basilisk Station (Honor Harrington) eBook: David Weber: Kindle Store

The good new is the book is free!

But come to find out that the movie will actually start with the next book in the series (The Honor of the Queen).

David's Essays || David Weber

If you like sci-fi, this one is pretty enjoyable to me. Interlaced with plenty of politics, relationships, grudges, all set in a universe of planet systems in cooperation and conflict. At the center of it all is Honor Harrington, who gets into a lot of jams, but never takes the easy way out.
Old 03-05-2014, 07:27 PM   #1751

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
Rereading Amazon.com: On Basilisk Station (Honor Harrington) eBook: David Weber: Kindle Store

But come to find out that the movie will actually start with the next book in the series (The Honor of the Queen).

If you like sci-fi, this one is pretty enjoyable to me. Interlaced with plenty of politics, relationships, grudges, all set in a universe of planet systems in cooperation and conflict. At the center of it all is Honor Harrington, who gets into a lot of jams, but never takes the easy way out.
This is a great series, There are also several spin off series. I didn't know there was to be a movie. Honor of the Queen is one of my favorites in the entire series,
Old 03-05-2014, 07:39 PM   #1752
Recycles dryer sheets

"Quiet- The Power of Introverts in a World that Can't stop talking" by Susan Cain. Recommended by someone on this forum. Thoroughly enjoyed it. Thanks to whoever it was!
Old 03-05-2014, 07:45 PM   #1753
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post

Just downloaded this and it's now on my list of stuff to get to.

Thanks for the tip!
Old 03-05-2014, 08:06 PM   #1754

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango1956 View Post
"Quiet- The Power of Introverts in a World that Can't stop talking" by Susan Cain. Recommended by someone on this forum. Thoroughly enjoyed it. Thanks to whoever it was!
I also executed on that recommendation. I love it when I see an interesting title here, then pop over to the library site and they have it in the collection. By putting a hold on it, a library staffer even pulls it out of the stacks for me!
Old 03-06-2014, 09:50 AM   #1755
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango1956 View Post
This one just made it to the top of my reading list as the Kindle edition is now $2.99 at Amazon.
Old 03-09-2014, 03:08 PM   #1756

Thanks, good to know. I plan to order it at that price.
Old 03-12-2014, 02:03 PM   #1757

Just wrapped up this gem, and can't wait to read his next book. The Unlikely Disciple: A Sinner's Semester at America's Holiest University: Kevin Roose: 0971494342917: Amazon.com: Books

Kevin Roose got his start as a research assistant for the author of another of my favorite new-ish books, AJ Jacobs of The Year of Living Biblically (which is hilarious and very interesting if you haven't read it). This is his account of a semester "abroad" from Brown, at Jerry Falwell's Liberty University in Lynchburg, VA.

I really enjoyed this book. I expected it to be a lot more critical of evangelical Christians, but the author's humor and young age really made him open up and talk about the good and the bad of the university, his fellow students, and his own contemplation forced by adhering (mostly) to the "Liberty Way".

This was a great read, and I'm looking forward to his recently published book about young people on Wall Street, called Young Money. I've read an excerpt of it and found it compelling.

Young Money — Kevin Roose

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 02:10 PM   #1758

Just finished Retirement Heist by Ellen Shultz. I need to read something more uplifting.
Old 03-12-2014, 03:41 PM   #1759

I probably posted this before, but just got back to it... An EPub file from Gutenberg. Also pdf.
One of the earliest editions of the Boy Scout Handbook 1911.
Will bring back memories to anyone who was a scout, and would be a fantastic book for a Prepper, even today.
The basics for scouting came from survival tactics stemming from army training before the First World War.
A wonderful experience for the pictures and for the simple honesty and morality that was the basis for the BSA.

Boy Scouts Handbook by Boy Scouts of America - Free Ebook
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Scouts.jpg (100.6 KB, 6 views)
Old 03-12-2014, 04:08 PM   #1760
Dryer sheet aficionado

Men on Strike, by Dr. Helen Smith

by Helen Smith, PhD: Men on Strike; Why Men Are Boycotting Marriage, Fatherhood, and the American Dream -- and Why It Matters. "Men on Strike is an important contribution to understanding the sexual disequilibrium feminism left in its wake." -- James Taranto, The Wall Street Journal. Now 74, I've been on strike, conducting this boycott personally for forty years. I didn't think anyone noticed. It is especially welcome that the author is a woman. For me, as a man, being presented as the doofus in commercial ads and sit coms gets very, very old. From the dust jacket: "American society has become anti-male. Men are sensing the backlash and are consciously and unconsciously going 'on strike'." Please look, for example, at Chapter 4, Why Does Dad Stay in the Basement? Having just finished it, I recommend the book to any people who love and respect any man, or want to have such men in their lives.