Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-14-2014, 11:47 AM   #1761
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

This is the 4th in a series about a detective inspector in Botswana:
Deadly Harvest: A Detective Kubu Mystery: Michael Stanley: 9780062221520: Amazon.com: Books

You learn about some of the culture and customs in Botswana (landlocked country above South Africa). This book features a discussion about the use and abuse of muti, the potions concocted by witch doctors.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-14-2014, 12:27 PM   #1762
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
Deadly Harvest: A Detective Kubu Mystery: Michael Stanley: 9780062221520: Amazon.com: Books

You learn about some of the culture and customs in Botswana (landlocked country above South Africa). This book features a discussion about the use and abuse of muti, the potions concocted by witch doctors.
I will look for this series, I liked the No. 1 Ladies Detective books also taking place in Botswana, thanks for sharing..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_No....tective_Agency

Old 03-14-2014, 09:37 PM   #1763
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted_Shepherd View Post
by Helen Smith, PhD: Men on Strike; Why Men Are Boycotting Marriage, Fatherhood, and the American Dream -- and Why It Matters. "Men on Strike is an important contribution to understanding the sexual disequilibrium feminism left in its wake." -- James Taranto, The Wall Street Journal. Now 74, I've been on strike, conducting this boycott personally for forty years. I didn't think anyone noticed. It is especially welcome that the author is a woman. For me, as a man, being presented as the doofus in commercial ads and sit coms gets very, very old. From the dust jacket: "American society has become anti-male. Men are sensing the backlash and are consciously and unconsciously going 'on strike'." Please look, for example, at Chapter 4, Why Does Dad Stay in the Basement? Having just finished it, I recommend the book to any people who love and respect any man, or want to have such men in their lives.
Interesting. Seems this topic is gaining traction now. My son is into it and has been trying to make me understand his side. He watches a YouTube video about it. Here is a link to her.

Her name is Karen Straughn. Being a very suppressed (female) back in the 60's and 70,s it was initially hard for me to understand as I had a tough time in a man's world, and I didn't like the one that was pigeon holed for me. Here is a video from her channel addressing this particular subject matter you mention in the book.

Though I do not agree in entirety with all of her view points held, I do see a great deal of validity in some of her points and agree with some of her analogies. Of course much more so in the last ten to twenty years than back in the 60's and 70's.. You must hold an "open mind" to the concept because the inclination, (especially by older women like myself 72 yrs) is to dismiss it perhaps based on older times and experiences. But much has changed since then, and that pendulum does have a knack for swinging too far back too often.

A skit was just done on Saturday Nite Live addressing it, and also Jon Stewart had something on his show recently.
Old 03-14-2014, 09:45 PM   #1764
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I am currently reading Son of Hamas, by Mossman Hassam Yousef. It is the story of a son of a leading Imam in Palestine, and discusses the impact of growing up in the midst of the Middle East conflict on him and his family, eventually leading to his conversion to Christianity. It is well written but I find I have more questions than answers.

Son of Hamas: A Gripping Account of Terror, Betrayal, Political Intrigue, and Unthinkable Choices: Mosab Hassan Yousef, Brackin Ron Brackin : 9781414333083: Books - Amazon.ca
Old 03-15-2014, 04:28 AM   #1765

Quote:

Have put this one, and A Carrion Death on our library list.....thanks, (we enjoyed our visit to Botswana several years ago).

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 11:12 AM   #1766

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted_Shepherd View Post
by Helen Smith, PhD: Men on Strike; Why Men Are Boycotting Marriage, Fatherhood, and the American Dream -- and Why It Matters. "Men on Strike is an important contribution to understanding the sexual disequilibrium feminism left in its wake." -- James Taranto, The Wall Street Journal. Now 74, I've been on strike, conducting this boycott personally for forty years. I didn't think anyone noticed. It is especially welcome that the author is a woman. For me, as a man, being presented as the doofus in commercial ads and sit coms gets very, very old. From the dust jacket: "American society has become anti-male. Men are sensing the backlash and are consciously and unconsciously going 'on strike'." Please look, for example, at Chapter 4, Why Does Dad Stay in the Basement? Having just finished it, I recommend the book to any people who love and respect any man, or want to have such men in their lives.
This book is on its way to my through my local library system. I look forward to reading it. Thanks for posting it.

I do take issue with the book's title which seems to imply that marriage and fatherhood are part of the American Dream. I am 50 and have no plans to marry any time soon and have known since I was 20 that I would be childfree. But my definition of the American Dream has been achieved already - I retired at 45, 5 years ago.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 11:11 PM   #1767
Full time employment: Posting here.

Devil in the Grove: Thurgood Marshall, the Groveland Boys, and the Dawn of a New America.

2013 Pulitzer Prize for General Nonfiction

Excellent and fast read of a criminal trial and crusaders for civil rights in the courts, involving perhaps America's greatest lawyer of the 20th Century. I read this book in two sittings.
Old 03-16-2014, 03:27 PM   #1768
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Paul View Post
This one just made it to the top of my reading list as the Kindle edition is now $2.99 at Amazon.

It was worth at full Kindle price...To bad Amazon doesn't give rebates.
Old 03-26-2014, 01:42 PM   #1769
Give me a forum ...

The Unlikely Disciple: A Sinner's Semester at America's Holiest University, by Kevin Roose, is a surprisingly positive look at Liberty University by a sorta secular Brown University junior. Instead of taking a semester abroad, Roose, a vaguely Christian, Quaker raised, liberal Brown student decides to transfer to Falwell's Liberty University and immerse himself in right wing evangelical fundamentalism, and write a book about it. You might expect a snarky, sarcastic put down but it is not. It turns out to be a nuanced, sympathetic look at a biverse group of pretty committed students. Roose remains unsympathetic to much of the culture wars stuff (e.g., the anti gay agenda) and the lack of intellectual freedom, but he comes to like most of the people he meets and to appreciate their world view to a degree. Interesting book.
Old 03-26-2014, 02:23 PM   #1770

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
Just wrapped up this gem, and can't wait to read his next book. The Unlikely Disciple: A Sinner's Semester at America's Holiest University: Kevin Roose: 0971494342917: Amazon.com: Books

Kevin Roose got his start as a research assistant for the author of another of my favorite new-ish books, AJ Jacobs of The Year of Living Biblically (which is hilarious and very interesting if you haven't read it). This is his account of a semester "abroad" from Brown, at Jerry Falwell's Liberty University in Lynchburg, VA.

I really enjoyed this book. I expected it to be a lot more critical of evangelical Christians, but the author's humor and young age really made him open up and talk about the good and the bad of the university, his fellow students, and his own contemplation forced by adhering (mostly) to the "Liberty Way".

This was a great read, and I'm looking forward to his recently published book about young people on Wall Street, called Young Money. I've read an excerpt of it and found it compelling.

Young Money — Kevin Roose
An echo in here...Glad you liked it too!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 02:30 PM   #1771
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
An echo in here...Glad you liked it too!
Ha. I probably ordered it from the library after reading your post. How quickly we forget at my advanced age. Thx for the referral.
Old 03-26-2014, 03:48 PM   #1772

I've got Young Money waiting for me, you should definitely try that one next as well. I do really like his writing style and he gave the Falwell crowd a very fair shake.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 04:39 PM   #1773
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I've got Young Money waiting for me, you should definitely try that one next as well. I do really like his writing style and he gave the Falwell crowd a very fair shake.
I put a hold on it but the library's advanced orders have not yet arrived.
Old 03-26-2014, 06:59 PM   #1774
Give me a forum ...

I have been reading Liane Moriarty 's books . What Alice Forgot & My Husband's Secret . They are interesting tales of complicated lives and what ifs . Really enjoyable reading .
Old 03-27-2014, 07:34 AM   #1775

Just finished Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking.

Interesting read, highly recommended.
Old 03-28-2014, 09:51 AM   #1776

My first Tana French mystery: Broken Harbor: A Novel (Dublin Murder Squad): Tana French: 9780143123309: Amazon.com: Books

It was particularly good for the first 2/3 of the book. She has very absorbing characterizations. It takes place in a failed Irish housing estate with a family that suffered through the 2008 decline (husband lost job, shoddy new house construction, unfinished estate). I cannot really go into the criticisms because that would spoil some of the plot. So 4 stars, overall a good but not excellent book.

Thanks to whoever mentioned this author here. I will go back and read her 3 earlier novels starting with In the Woods.
Old 03-29-2014, 01:12 PM   #1777

Quote:
<snip>

Daniel Silva, The Unlikely Spy -- German female deep cover agent in England tries to steal secrets of coming Allied invasion. British former professor now with MI5 works to stop the agents.

I liked Silva's book best. Hope I'm not giving away anything by letting you know that the Allies did win the war.
Well, thanks a lot. Guess there's no need to read the book now.

Just so you know for next time, you might want to use the warning "SPOILER ALERT" before you give away some important information that might ruin the story line for some of us not well-versed in world history.
Old 03-29-2014, 04:05 PM   #1778
Give me a forum ...

One of the best books I've read in a long time. Fiction, obviously, but so realistic I was captivated. The engineers in the group will particularly enjoy it (despite a few unfortunate lapses in terminology, it's quite accurate).

The Martian: A Novel by Andy Weir. (Kindle Edition)

Six days ago, astronaut Mark Watney became one of the first people to walk on Mars.

Now, he's sure he'll be the first person to die there.

After a dust storm nearly kills him and forces his crew to evacuate while thinking him dead, Mark finds himself stranded and completely alone with no way to even signal Earth that he’s alive—and even if he could get word out, his supplies would be gone long before a rescue could arrive.

Chances are, though, he won't have time to starve to death. The damaged machinery, unforgiving environment, or plain-old "human error" are much more likely to kill him first.

But Mark isn't ready to give up yet. Drawing on his ingenuity, his engineering skills—and a relentless, dogged refusal to quit—he steadfastly confronts one seemingly insurmountable obstacle after the next. Will his resourcefulness be enough to overcome the impossible odds against him?
Old 03-31-2014, 12:30 PM   #1779
Give me a forum ...

Holy Orders by Benjamin Black is quite good. Black is a pen name adopted by John Banville for a series of "lighter" crime novels. This one is set in Ireland in the 1950s and features Dr Quirk, a troubled pathologist and his equally troubled daughter. This not a thriller or pot boiler, more of a portrait of troubled souls and a compelling glimpse of a long past Ireland. I will order more Black books from the library.
Old 04-02-2014, 05:55 PM   #1780

What have you read recently?

I'm still working on F. Scott Fitzgerald (crazy since this winter was so awful!). But next up is The Maltese Falcon by Hammett. I'm also reading the poems of Emily Dickinson, they are short but make you think.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote