Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-23-2014, 05:19 PM   #1861

For any knitters out there, Gil McNeil has written 3 very pleasant novels* about a young widow who takes over her grandmother's knitting shop in an English seaside town.

The Beach Street Knitting Society and Yarn Club
Needles and Pearls
Knit One Pearl One

There isn't anything in them that requires you to be a knitter to enjoy them, it just adds a bit of fun if you are.

* I assume all 3 are pleasant - I've read the last then the first and am on the wait list at the library for the 2nd. You don't need to read them in order for them to make sense.

MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

What have you read recently?
Old 08-24-2014, 08:16 AM   #1862
Full time employment: Posting here.

Finally got hold of Steve Jobs biography Written by Walter Isaacson from the public library 3 years after he died. Took me 6 weeks to finish it. Excellent reading and written so well. It's a biography which not only writes about the man but also the products, how destructive cancer is and death. Recommended reading. I do love biographies esp when they r written so frankly.

Old 08-24-2014, 08:24 AM   #1863
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by unno2002 View Post
After my retirement, I've found I really like "post apocalypse world" (PAW) fiction. There's a LOT of it out there on the web, some of it really good.
Oddly, me too.

One that struck a chord with me was The Old Man and the Wasteland
by Nick Cole. It's best to read (or reread) Hemingway's The Old Man and the Sea before reading this book.
Old 08-24-2014, 08:51 PM   #1864
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fidler4 View Post
Just read "Wild Swans: Three Daughters of China." (Kindle Version $3.67) It was a 5 star read.

"
I have this on my kindle to read but right now I am reading Ken FoLLett's "Fall of the Giants " . I liked it so much that I bought "Winter of the World " The sequel . Great books I really could not put them down .
Old 08-25-2014, 05:44 AM   #1865

Finished Red to Black by Alex Dryden....excellent:

Red to Black by Alex Dryden - Alex Dryden

Now into Trigger Point by Matthew Glass...also good thus far:

https://www.kirkusreviews.com/book-r...trigger-point/

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 05:53 AM   #1866

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Just finished Coming Apart by Charles Murray. A very good read on what's led to the decline of our (US) culture. Lots of data, though more on what happened and less on how or why. Finishes with two potential futures, leaves the reader to speculate which way we'll go...
I just read this book and I did not like it. Murray seemed to blame a lot of the decline in the last 50 years on people becoming less religious and not getting married and not having children. [mod edit] This relic has to get out of his 1950s lifestyle choices.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Early Retirement Extreme
Old 08-25-2014, 08:02 AM   #1867
Recycles dryer sheets

Early Retirement Extreme

Wasn't sure where to put this post. I'm currently reading "Early Retirement Extreme" and it is not what I was expecting! I thought it would along the lines of "Retire Early, Retire Free" but it is more a philosophical argument on the wage slave society that has developed than it is a how to manual on early retirement.

I'm enjoying it because it was written by a former physicist-type, so it is well-reasoned and I have a natural propensity to take an outsider's view on most things--like many independently-minded introverts so it resonates with me.

The gist of the book as it relates to early retirement (mind you I haven't finished it) is that extreme early retirement, meaning for people with as little as 5 years of full-time career work, is not about taking a permanent vacation like many traditional retirements where the retirees are 65+ and have lured years of health remaining. It is about developing multiple streams of income and being self-sufficient unordered to break away from the "tight coupling" of paycheck and lifestyle. By having a "loose coupling" between income streams and lifestyle, one gains the freedom to define one's own path in life instead of following the pre-canned scripts that society has dictated as acceptable.

Here are some lifestyle ideas that might come out of this paradigm shift: Living full-time on a sailboat cruising the Caribbean; Being an organic farmer; Being a professional blogger on a subject of personal interest; Pursuing an art, craft, or music in earnest; Pursuing charitable or other social or religious work; Traveling the country or world full-time; Etc.

Again, I think the idea is not "I did my 30 years at mega-corp, now I'm done with work" but more, "I avoided spending 30 years at mega-corp and instead enjoy a lifestyle where I do several part time activities that might generate some income, while using my skills to live frugally and self-sufficiently."
Old 08-25-2014, 08:15 AM   #1868

I think the idea behind ERE is more, "spend a few years working, decide to retire and blog about it, then get a job with a fat salary as a quant and go to work for the corporations again."

Jacob is the man though. I admire his determination.
Old 08-25-2014, 08:24 AM   #1869
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fermion View Post
I think the idea behind ERE is more, "spend a few years working, decide to retire and blog about it, ..."
You left out "while my wife still works and pays 'her share' of the bills..."

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension

REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 08:34 AM   #1870

Merged the post on ERE into this thread.
Old 08-25-2014, 08:38 AM   #1871

Mod note: a few of the books mentioned include issues that are emotionally charged for some. Short descriptions of the content are fine but this thread should be about the author and book, not whether we agree or what our personal views are on the same subject.
Old 08-26-2014, 09:40 PM   #1872
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fermion View Post
I think the idea behind ERE is more, "spend a few years working, decide to retire and blog about it, then get a job with a fat salary as a quant and go to work for the corporations again."

Jacob is the man though. I admire his determination.
I don't follow the author's blog. Not surprised someone that young would go back into a corporate job, though.
Old 08-26-2014, 11:35 PM   #1873
Recycles dryer sheets

I recently read "Navajo Autumn: A Navajo Nation Mystery" by R. Allen Chappell. It was a good quick read. Although it was fiction it had a lot of the Navajo culture written into it which was interesting. It is the first in a series. I have the next one cue'd up from Amazon.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 08-27-2014, 09:56 AM   #1874
Moderator Emeritus

I have One Kick by Chelsea Cain on my bedside table. A new series by the author of the Portland-based detective Archie Sheridan series (hmm, now that I have actually been to Portland, I might have to reread those).

Returning Vertigo 42 by Martha Grimes, a new Richard Jury book, to the library today. I just coudn't get it open to read before it was due, but I used to love her books. Will check it out again later.

Bestwifeever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 10:25 AM   #1875

Just finished "Musicophilia" by Oliver Sacks. This is a collection of essays about neurological cases centering around music and the brain. I didn't think it was as good as "The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat" but there was one case study that solved the mystery of the hearing problem that I developed 3 or 4 years ago.
Old 08-27-2014, 11:18 AM   #1876

Just finished "Inferno" by Dan Brown (of Da Vinci Code fame). Interesting read set in Florence, Venice and Istanbul about a geneticist set on reducing the world population through a viral plague. Having been to these cities it was fun learning more about their history.

Lazy Portfolio Investor:
AA: 55% Stocks
35% Bonds
10% Cash
NanoSour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 12:10 PM   #1877

I have just started "The Only Three Questions That Still Count" by Ken Fisher.

It asks the reader to learn, that is question assumptions that we all know are true. It has me questioning "Wheeee".
Old 08-27-2014, 12:35 PM   #1878

Quote:
Originally Posted by devans0 View Post
..question assumptions that we all know are true.
That reminds me of a book I just read Think like a freak : the authors of Freakonomics offer to retrain your brain / Steven D. Levitt & Stephen J. Dubner.

The earlier Freakonomics books told stories about problems/situations where, when one examined the data closely, sometimes had surprising attributes and the authors came up with surprising conclusions.

This book will probably not really teach you the magic that these guys have for finding and dissecting interesting problems/situations and coming up with novel solutions, but it's a fun read.
Old 08-27-2014, 12:58 PM   #1879

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
That reminds me of a book I just read Think like a freak : the authors of Freakonomics offer to retrain your brain / Steven D. Levitt & Stephen J. Dubner.

The earlier Freakonomics books told stories about problems/situations where, when one examined the data closely, sometimes had surprising attributes and the authors came up with surprising conclusions.

This book will probably not really teach you the magic that these guys have for finding and dissecting interesting problems/situations and coming up with novel solutions, but it's a fun read.
I'll have to track this one down. The other Freakonomics books were pretty good reads.
Old 08-27-2014, 03:29 PM   #1880
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I'm about 250 pages into the 1008 page, The Better Angels of Our Nature, which argues that human beings are much less violent now than in the past. It is a well written, data packed book and quite interesting. We shall see if it holds up for the next 750 pages.