Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 12-09-2014, 07:24 AM   #1961
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Good tip on that one, marty! I consider The Stand to be one of my all time favorite reads ever, and it was also a fave of my grandmother.
And continuing in the post apocalypse vein, I can't remember where I got the recommendation (here?) for Wool, by Hugh Howey, but it was a real page-turner and a great book! Set in a future where the air outside is poisonous, the inhabitants of a huge underground silo work together to try to make their world livable. Very suspenseful, with characters you really grow to like. Fun book to stick your nose into and not come up for air until the end, 500 pages later!
http://www.amazon.com/Wool-Hugh-Howe...=UTF8&sr=&qid=

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-09-2014, 02:49 PM   #1962
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by brett View Post
Just finished three books. Hack Attack (on going phone hacking scandal in the UK), The Berlin Wall, and part of a book about Sociopaths among us. I usually have a few going at any one time.
How was Hack Attack? I got the e-book from my library a few days ago but haven't started reading it yet.
Old 12-10-2014, 10:42 PM   #1963
Full time employment: Posting here.

I didn't start college till 25 (circa 1983) and two books I read back then that floored me were Alvin Toffler's Future Shock and George Orwell's 1984.

Book that had a tremendous impact on me a few years ago was Michael Lewis's The Big Short.

Sometimes I get so excited about a book, or movie, that after it's over, I have to go for a run. Damnedest thing.
Old 12-11-2014, 04:42 AM   #1964
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
Good tip on that one, marty! I consider The Stand to be one of my all time favorite reads ever, and it was also a fave of my grandmother.
And continuing in the post apocalypse vein, I can't remember where I got the recommendation (here?) for Wool, by Hugh Howey, but it was a real page-turner and a great book! Set in a future where the air outside is poisonous, the inhabitants of a huge underground silo work together to try to make their world livable. Very suspenseful, with characters you really grow to like. Fun book to stick your nose into and not come up for air until the end, 500 pages later!
http://www.amazon.com/Wool-Hugh-Howe...=UTF8&sr=&qid=
+1 on Wool. I either read about it here or reviewed it here. I too will look for Earth Abides.
Old 12-11-2014, 07:24 AM   #1965
Give me a forum ...

I have just started reading "The Birth of the Pill," by Jonathan Eig. The subtitle is "How Four Crusaders Reinvented Sex and Launched a Revolution." Eig was recently interviewed on C-Span's BookTV (where I get a lot of my good ideas for books to read).

So far it is a good read, as Eig begins with Margaret Sanger's early role in bringing contraception to the forefront, finding allies for her cause while trying to change the public's attitude toward contraception in the first half of the 20th century.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
Old 12-11-2014, 10:37 AM   #1966

Found a Philip Roth book I hadn't yet read. "The Human Stain". About a 71 year old college professor having an affair with a female janitor who works at the college. So far so good. I'm a quarter of the way through. Classic Roth. Never boring, at least for me.
Old 12-19-2014, 09:11 PM   #1967
Recycles dryer sheets

Reading "Blood and Thunder" by Hampton Sides. Cracking good book. All about Kit Carson, the Navajos, Fremont, and the winning of the west. Sides has a way of weaving the fate of all of the very different players into one story. As one reviewer remarked, he is fair to all sides, and there is a lack of "heros" and "villains". Good stuff.
Old 12-20-2014, 12:23 AM   #1968

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
And there are another dozen or more books set in the Wool universe, both by Howey and by fans of Wool, examining many aspects of his underground world. They're available on Amazon. Many are quite good.
Old 12-20-2014, 03:09 AM   #1969
Give me a forum ...

A Bill Bryson that I hadn't read previously......I'm finding it hilarious.......tried to re-read a couple paragraphs out loud to my wife last evening.....but I couldn't stop laughing:

Neither Here nor There: Travels in Europe - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Old 12-20-2014, 03:41 AM   #1970

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
A Bill Bryson that I hadn't read previously......I'm finding it hilarious.......tried to re-read a couple paragraphs out loud to my wife last evening.....but I couldn't stop laughing:

Neither Here nor There: Travels in Europe - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I do that with Bryson, too. I love his stuff, and I get the teary-eyed giggles when I try to read aloud to DH. _Notes from a Small Island_ is my favorite!
Old 12-20-2014, 05:01 AM   #1971
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accidental Retiree View Post
I do that with Bryson, too. I love his stuff, and I get the teary-eyed giggles when I try to read aloud to DH. _Notes from a Small Island_ is my favorite!
I don't believe there are any of his books that I haven't thoroughly enjoyed......with so many observations that I can react to with an "I've been in that position" or "I've seen that".

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Old 12-20-2014, 06:14 AM   #1972
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrinch View Post
And there are another dozen or more books set in the Wool universe, both by Howey and by fans of Wool, examining many aspects of his underground world. They're available on Amazon. Many are quite good.
The book "Wool" that I got from the library was a compilation of episodes 1-5 of the Shift Series. I see some other stuff at the library but I think they are parts of the Shift Series which appear to be chapters of Wool. Hard to figure out what is new, if anything.
Old 12-21-2014, 01:49 PM   #1973
Give me a forum ...

The Three-Body Problem is a very good science fiction novel by Cixun Liu, a Chinese author with a huge following in China. Scenes from the Cultural Revolution, philosophical musings, advanced physics, aliens - all make this a big hit in the best science fiction tradition. This is part one in a trilogy that has been available in China for several years. A translation of Part 2 will be released here in June. I hope someone here will follow-up with a note on that one next summer since I will have forgotten all about it by then.
Old 12-22-2014, 12:38 PM   #1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
The book "Wool" that I got from the library was a compilation of episodes 1-5 of the Shift Series. I see some other stuff at the library but I think they are parts of the Shift Series which appear to be chapters of Wool. Hard to figure out what is new, if anything.
Look on Amazon. There are 3 novel-length sequels to the initial Wool omnibus edition, and then a dozen or more novelette- to novel-length books written by others that are set in the Wool world that explore families, education, religion, and other issues within the closed, silo worlds. The sequels by Howey follow a storyline that leads to a partial resolution of the buried silo initial premise. They are called First Shift, Second Shift, and Third Shift, and they are episodes 6-8 of the Shift Series.

It has been a year or more since I read these. There may be more by now. Howey is a very prolific writer.
Old 12-26-2014, 06:28 AM   #1975
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyp View Post
Just finished reading "Earth Abides" by George Stewart. It was a book club reading. It is an excellent post-apocalyptic story set in the San Francisco Bay Area. It was written in 1949 and holds up amazingly well. It was the inspiration for Stephen King's "The Stand" which I read decades ago and loved.
Just finished it. Excellent. I was surprised to see that the white guy protagonist meets and falls in love with a black woman survivor and that was not treated as a major deal -- her race was only mentioned twice in the book. The book was written in 1949.
Old 12-26-2014, 02:55 PM   #1976
Gone but not forgotten

I haven't read Steven King in years but I recently read his short stories collection "Full Dark No Stars " . The stories were very good and very odd . I enjoyed the book .
Old 12-26-2014, 03:38 PM   #1977
Give me a forum ...

I read this latest David Ignatius spy thriller: The Director: A Novel

The subject of this book is cyber security and espionage. Very much in the real news nowadays.
Old 12-26-2014, 06:23 PM   #1978
Recycles dryer sheets

Inferno by Dan Brown. My husband and I will go to Italy to see the Boboli Gardens.
Old 12-26-2014, 06:46 PM   #1979
Recycles dryer sheets

Unbroken. Going to see the movie tomorrow, I really hope Angelina got it right...
Old 12-28-2014, 10:55 AM   #1980
Full time employment: Posting here.

I'm just finishing up a book on the history of Dungeons & Dragons, TSR, and Gary Gygax (among others) titled "Of Dice and Men" by David Ewalt.

I used to play D&D as a kid, but not a whole lot because we all sucked at being Dungeon Masters, and could never seem to get everybody together at the same time.

But we had a lot of fun when we did play (in spite of the sucky DM'ing) and I still have ALL my original D&D (actually AD&D) manuals and modules, so this book brought back a lot of fond memories.

The author includes a lot of stories from his own experiences about characters he created, parties he adventured with, what they encountered, etc, that made it a good read.

In one chapter, he detailed how he'd make up characters, dream up a backstory, and fill in character sheets, and that really took me back in time because I used to do the same thing.

For anybody who played D&D, I'd definitely recommend this book. Here's the Amazon link to it:

http://www.amazon.com/Of-Dice-Men-Du.../dp/1491514191
Closed Thread