Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-02-2014, 07:58 PM   #1781
Recycles dryer sheets

Just finished Cryptonomicon, by Neal Stephenson. I usually only read when I travel, and I've been working on this one for three trips now. This story's close association with real history and a rather far-out backstory is quite entertaining.

I'm also reading The KaliSun Initiative, by Nick Wyckoff. Disclosure: this is a self-published book by a friend. It's actually pretty good, but it's really a space/military geek read. There's some political commentary, but it premises an interesting speculation. You need to be prepared for the situation where there are really no 'good' guys, in the moral sense.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-05-2014, 04:43 AM   #1782
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I'm reading Larry Sabato's The Kennedy Half-Century. I highly recommend it. It deals with JFK's accomplishments, the assassination (is fair minded and detailed on the lone gunman vs. conspiracy theories), and the legacy. Since I was too young to understand the Kennedy years but am a product of the legacy it is quite absorbing. Very well written and researched.
Old 04-05-2014, 08:25 AM   #1783
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggbutcher View Post
Just finished Cryptonomicon, by Neal Stephenson. I usually only read when I travel, and I've been working on this one for three trips now. This story's close association with real history and a rather far-out backstory is quite entertaining.
Read that a few years back...thoroughly enjoyed it.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Old 04-05-2014, 09:07 AM   #1784
Gone but not forgotten

Just finished "Sycamore Road " by John Grisham . One of his best books . I could not put it down .
Old 04-05-2014, 10:32 AM   #1785
Moderator Emeritus

Flash Boys, what else! With all the marketing of it going on, I guess we have all read it by now.

Like Michael Lewis's other books, it is well written and engaging. I did not find much of the content to be terribly new and surprising; odd, because this is not one of my areas of interest, but I thought everyone already knew about this type of computer facilitated "skimming off the top" in a general sense (though perhaps not in as much detail). Ho hum.

Anyway it was fun to read even so, due to Lewis's writing style. He should start applying his talent towards fictional works, IMO. Seemed like a very quick read considering all the fuss being made over it.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 04-05-2014, 05:38 PM   #1786
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Flash Boys, what else! With all the marketing of it going on, I guess we have all read it by now.

Not quite all of us have read it. I'm 30% through it. Slow reader and easily distracted. I like some of the details even though I'm confused by the total problem.

Makes me wonder how much ETF and fund gains are lost to HF front running. I'll be interested to hear Vanguard someday discuss their approach to minimizing damage.
Old 04-06-2014, 07:50 PM   #1787
Give me a forum ...

Free book: Bad Doctor by John Locke. Ignore cover, first few pages are off-putting, but after that, funny and action-packed.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Old 04-07-2014, 07:10 AM   #1788
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Just finished Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking.

Interesting read, highly recommended.
Praise for this one is no longer universal. Couldn't get through it as it came across as written by one who already had a conclusion and then went out looking for snippets of evidence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
One of the best books I've read in a long time. Fiction, obviously, but so realistic I was captivated. The engineers in the group will particularly enjoy it (despite a few unfortunate lapses in terminology, it's quite accurate).

The Martian: A Novel by Andy Weir. (Kindle Edition)

Six days ago, astronaut Mark Watney became one of the first people to walk on Mars.
I'm on the library waiting list for this one, sounds right up my alley.
Old 04-07-2014, 08:08 AM   #1789
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by redduck View Post
Well, thanks a lot. Guess there's no need to read the book now.

Just so you know for next time, you might want to use the warning "SPOILER ALERT" before you give away some important information that might ruin the story line for some of us not well-versed in world history.
This is a joke, yes?
Old 04-07-2014, 08:13 AM   #1790
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm in a classic book club, and though I readily admit it's sometimes difficult to contemplate plowing through 100+ year old books, they almost always either thoroughly entertain, or leave me changed in some way. Guess that's why they're classics!

Just finished: The Jungle by Upton Sinclair. Up next, The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas.
Old 04-07-2014, 09:57 AM   #1791
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredAndFree View Post
This is a joke, yes?
Can't pull one over on you, eh?

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Old 04-07-2014, 10:16 AM   #1792
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
Can't pull one over on you, eh?
I was looking for the emoticon to confirm!
Old 04-22-2014, 02:11 PM   #1793
Give me a forum ...

A More Unbending Battle: The Harlem Hellfighters' Struggle for Freedom in WWI and Equality at Home, follows the experiences of the 369th Regiment (originally New York's 15th National Guard Regiment) fighting in France. Composed of all black infantry, including a world class band, and mixed race officers, the 369th faught side by side with the French spending more days in the trenches and fighting more valiantly than any other American regiment. Excellent book and an eye opening reminder of our past.
Old 04-22-2014, 02:32 PM   #1794
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredAndFree View Post
I'm in a classic book club, and though I readily admit it's sometimes difficult to contemplate plowing through 100+ year old books, they almost always either thoroughly entertain, or leave me changed in some way. Guess that's why they're classics!

Just finished: The Jungle by Upton Sinclair. Up next, The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas.
I like classics because the price is right for the e-versions. I resent paying $9.99 or more for a book that I can neither lend nor sell, but I like reading electronically and the libraries' offerings are pretty spotty (the library vrsions of e-books are outrageously priced). The last classic I read was North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell which was actually pretty good. Set at the beginning of the industrial revolution in England, it was a little weightier than Jane Austen, but equally as enjoyable. I'm planning on re-reading Dickens next and Trollope is always fun.

I guess because they have been winnowed by time, classics are pretty reliable choices. I still vividly remember the two you mention even though it has been years since I read them.
Old 04-23-2014, 07:06 AM   #1795
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllDone View Post
I like classics because the price is right for the e-versions. I resent paying $9.99 or more for a book that I can neither lend nor sell, but I like reading electronically and the libraries' offerings are pretty spotty (the library vrsions of e-books are outrageously priced).
I don't know how to do it but I know if you own a Kindle ebook you can indeed lend it to another Kindle owner.

I'm confused about your statement that "Library versions of ebooks are outrageously priced." The only library version of an ebook I've ever seen are the ones lent out by the library free of charge.
Old 04-23-2014, 08:34 AM   #1796

Quote:
I like classics because the price is right for the e-versions. I resent paying $9.99 or more for a book that I can neither lend nor sell, but I like reading electronically and the libraries' offerings are pretty spotty (the library vrsions of e-books are outrageously priced).
If your library uses Overdrive it should have an option where you can request books not currently in their inventory. I've had very good success using this at my library, every book I've requested has been added within a month or two and automatically gets placed on hold for me when added. If you live in a small community another option is to join a library from a bigger city in state, sometimes at no cost or a small fee. The bigger city libraries will usually offer a much better selection but you'll also have a lot more people to compete with. I'm also confused with your comment on high prices of library ebooks, I've don't even see an option to buy ebooks at my library.
Old 04-23-2014, 08:52 AM   #1797

Just started reading A Peoples History of the United States by Howard Zinn. Definitely not what they teach in grade school history class. Any comments from others who have read it? I'm only 10% into it but it's certainly a very negative account so far.
Old 04-23-2014, 09:08 AM   #1798
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I like classics because the price is right for the e-versions. I resent paying $9.99 or more for a book that I can neither lend nor sell, but I like reading electronically and the libraries' offerings are pretty spotty (the library vrsions of e-books are outrageously priced). The last classic I read was North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell which was actually pretty good. Set at the beginning of the industrial revolution in England, it was a little weightier than Jane Austen, but equally as enjoyable. I'm planning on re-reading Dickens next and Trollope is always fun.

I guess because they have been winnowed by time, classics are pretty reliable choices. I still vividly remember the two you mention even though it has been years since I read them.
alldone, Netflix has North & South, a great British production of the book.

You reminded me--I have a copy of Trollope's The Way We Live Now that I need to read. First saw the TV production on Netflix. Sometimes I'm introduced to classics via the TV.
Old 04-23-2014, 09:10 AM   #1799
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinger1457 View Post
If your library uses Overdrive it should have an option where you can request books not currently in their inventory. I've had very good success using this at my library, every book I've requested has been added within a month or two and automatically gets placed on hold for me when added.
My library uses Overdrive but I can't find this feature. Can you describe where you find it?
Old 04-23-2014, 10:03 AM   #1800

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
My library uses Overdrive but I can't find this feature. Can you describe where you find it?
When I connect to Overdrive for my library it shows a short list of 'New eBook Additions', click on 'view more' to see the complete list. On the bottom of that page there should be a box "Don't see the digital titles you were hoping to find? Browse and samples thousands of digital titles you can recommend to your library for purchase", click on it to submit your request.
Closed Thread