Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-24-2016, 10:45 AM   #2281
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I am going to the next Spacefest, and I just finished Moonwalker by Charlie Duke of Apollo 16.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-24-2016, 10:58 AM   #2282
Give me a forum ...

I am reading "The Road Taken," by Henry Petroski. It's about the state of our infrastructure, mainly roads and bridges (he's a professor of civil engineering). I saw him talking about his book on C-Span's BookTV. Good book so far.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
What have you read recently?
Old 04-24-2016, 03:02 PM   #2283
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

"Steppenwolf" by Hermann Hesse. It was a difficult read through the majority of the book as there are a few too many similarity so between me and the protagonist. In the end I believe it had a message I needed to hear though.
Old 04-24-2016, 03:23 PM   #2284
Give me a forum ...

Innocence - Dean Koontz

Very well done bit of urban fiction as is Koontz's style.
Old 04-24-2016, 03:44 PM   #2285
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

"Thing Explainer: Complicated Stuff in Simple Words" by Randall Munroe (creator of xkcd). The book uses drawings and a vocabulary of the 1,000 (or "ten hundred") most common words to explain complex subjects.

Funny, entertaining and informative.

My favorites: "US Space Team's Up Goer Five" (Saturn Five Rocket) and "Big tiny thing hitter" (Large Hadron Collider).
Old 04-24-2016, 04:17 PM   #2286

I just finished "Just One Look" by Harlan Coben. I enjoyed it. So many books you figure out before the ending, but I was not able to figure this one out.
Old 04-24-2016, 06:24 PM   #2287

"Grandma Gatewood's Walk" by Ben Montgomery. About a 67 year old woman that walks the Appalachian Trail starting in May 1955. She walked the trail twice continuously and once in sections. She also walked The Oregon Trail (among other long distance walks) from Independence, MO. to Portland, OR. in 1959 at the age of 71. The book has some excerpts from her diary and gives details of what was happening in the world at the time of her walks.
Old 04-24-2016, 08:56 PM   #2288

Just finished The Girl Who Played With Fire. Wasn't sure I wanted to read it after some of the awful scenes in the first book, but enjoyed this one a lot. Yes, I'm way late to the party...
Old 04-24-2016, 09:17 PM   #2289
Give me a forum ...

Engines of Change by Paul Ingrassia.

I'm probably as far as one can get from being a 'car person', but I found this book enthralling, informative and very well written.

Engines of Change | Book by Paul Ingrassia | Official Publisher Page | Simon & Schuster Canada

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Old 04-26-2016, 09:09 AM   #2290
Give me a forum ...

Haven't read it (yet) but this one was written, under a pseudonym, by an interesting 80 year old New Zealander, (who still competes in triathlons), that we spent some time with on our recent eastbound transatlantic trip.

Having worked for six years in Hong Kong he speaks Chinese, and with input from a couple Chinese-Americans onboard, he's currently working on compiling a Chinese dictionary.

http://www.amazon.com/Hong-Kong-Vaga.../dp/B007RKQ7DA

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Old 05-01-2016, 11:19 AM   #2291
Administrator

I just finished World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War by Max Brooks. Most enjoyable, but probably not for everyone.
Old 05-01-2016, 02:23 PM   #2292

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
I just finished World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War by Max Brooks. Most enjoyable, but probably not for everyone.

Good book, but definitely not for everyone. And very different than the movie.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 05-01-2016, 04:19 PM   #2293

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulak View Post
Good book, but definitely not for everyone. And very different than the movie.

In fact ,other than the fact that there are zombies ,it has no relation to the book whatsoever which is a shame because the format of the book would have made for a very interesting movie

Old 05-02-2016, 03:46 PM   #2294

I'm just about to finish "My Adventures With Your Money" by T.D. Thornton, a book about George Graham Rice and the golden age of the con artist. From the 1870's to the 1929 market crash (and perhaps beyond, I haven't finished the book yet) George made and lost millions. The 1973 movie "The Sting" was in fact based on one of his cons.

A colorful character and an interesting read.
Old 05-02-2016, 04:29 PM   #2295
Give me a forum ...

Mr. Mercedes - Stephen King

The master is at it again. Thrilling & chilling. Suspenseful. You really really root for the good guys because the bad guy is just as bad as evil can get. Great character development, human emotions (and lack of same)

A good fast read!
Old 05-02-2016, 07:53 PM   #2296
Gone but not forgotten

I just finished "Everything I never told you " by Celeste Ng. Interesting book about a family in crisis .
Old 05-02-2016, 07:57 PM   #2297

The Wonderful Wizard of Oz and The Little Prince.
I needed a break from the introspective novels I've been reading.
I never read either of these children's classics before. Baum wrote the original Oz books in the village of Chittenango, not ten miles from my home. They have a weekend long festival in celebration every summer.
Old 05-08-2016, 09:47 PM   #2298
Give me a forum ...

Make Me - Lee Child

If it's Jack Reacher, it's on my list!

This is a particularly disturbing tale of dark stuff on the "deep web", with the worst sort of evil bad guys I've read about in a long time and you just know they are evil right from the start.

But just how evil is not revealed till the end. That's when Reacher kills them all -
Old 05-08-2016, 10:14 PM   #2299
Recycles dryer sheets

Recently finished The Martian by Andy Weir. Have not seen the movie. Really enjoyed the log-based narrative and slightly technical/"mathy" content, plus the main character's humor. I did feel the story ended abruptly and left a lot unexplored. Sequel?
Old 05-08-2016, 10:19 PM   #2300
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by growerVon View Post
Recently finished The Martian by Andy Weir. Have not seen the movie. Really enjoyed the log-based narrative and slightly technical/"mathy" content, plus the main character's humor. I did feel the story ended abruptly and left a lot unexplored. Sequel?

If you liked the book, you'll like the movie. It's fairly faithful, and I think both were well executed.
Closed Thread