What have you read recently? 2009 -2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just read this while on vacation. Elizebeth George, A Banquet of Consequences: https://www.amazon.com/Banquet-Consequences-Lynley-Novel-Inspector-ebook/dp/B00L9B7CGE

I liked to discussion of various paired relationships. Good mystery too with an interesting ending.

The unspoken secrets and buried lies of one family rise to the surface in Elizabeth George’s newest novel of crime, passion, and tragic history. As Inspector Thomas Lynley investigates the London angle of an ever more darkly disturbing case, his partner, Barbara Havers, is looking behind the peaceful façade of country life to discover a twisted world of desire and deceit.

The suicide of William Goldacre is devastating to those left behind who will have to deal with its unintended consequences—could there be a link between the young man’s leap from a Dorset cliff and a horrific poisoning in Cambridge?
Here is a Wiki link the the entire Inspector Lynley series (in order):
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elizabeth_George

The author is an American with a deep interest in British culture.

If you liked the book, you'll like the movie. It's fairly faithful, and I think both were well executed.

Second this.

I read the book which is why went went to the movie, and we hadn't been to a movie theater for a decade. The movie is worth going to see.

I am rereading all my books by Apollo astronauts prior to attending Spacefest VII and meeting them.

20,000 Leagues under the Sea - Jules Verne

Free kindle book and I got the unedited (just translated) version with all the marine life well documented. That I didn't need, should have done the edited (100 pages less) version.

Just finished Michael Connelly's The Concrete Blonde. This is so far my favorite Harry Bosch novel, https://www.amazon.com/Concrete-Blo...SGSU58?ie=UTF8&btkr=1&ref_=dp-kindle-redirect
They call him the Dollmaker, a serial killer who stalks Los Angeles and leaves a grisly calling card on the faces of his female victims. When a suspect is shot by Detective Harry Bosch, everyone believes the city's nightmare is over. But then the dead man's widow sues Harry and the LAPD for killing the wrong man--an accusation that rings terrifyingly true when a new corpse is found with the Dollmaker's macabre signature. Now, for the second time, Harry must hunt down a ruthless death-dealer before he strikes again. Careening through a blood-tracked quest, Harry will go from the hard edges of the L.A. night to the last place he ever wanted to go--the darkness of his own heart...

Cool, sounds like my kinda stuff - bloody, dark and violent pulp fiction - :)

The Forgotten - David Baldacci

John Puller is Baldacci's Jack Reacher. Cool names eh?

This will satisfy all your blood lust for sure, the body count is over 50.

Almost done with Born to Run by Christopher Mcdougall. Trying to show that humans were in fact made for running and long distances at that. :O)

Recently finished Double Dead by Chuck Wendig. A story about a Vampire named Coburn who wakes up in a zombie infested world. Entertaining, but I could have done with out the language. Not a fan of profanity.

cd :O)

Leah Remini's Troublemaker, about her many-year involvement with the Church of Scientology and break with it. Interesting read.

Make Me - Lee Child

If it's Jack Reacher, it's on my list!

This is a particularly disturbing tale of dark stuff on the "deep web", with the worst sort of evil bad guys I've read about in a long time and you just know they are evil right from the start.

But just how evil is not revealed till the end. That's when Reacher kills them all - :)

Thanks Robbie I've read 2 of them so far ...page turners.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forumh

Just finished "Master and Commander", the first novel in the Aubrey-Maturin series by Patrick O'Brian. I'm surprised never to have seen my father read this - it was all things he loved in a book, yet I never saw it in his house. Oh well, I'll read it for him - going to buy the next volume.

Just finished "Master and Commander", the first novel in the Aubrey-Maturin series by Patrick O'Brian. I'm surprised never to have seen my father read this - it was all things he loved in a book, yet I never saw it in his house. Oh well, I'll read it for him - going to buy the next volume.
This reminded me that I have a companion book to the O'Brian series. It's called A Sea of Words : Amazon.com: A Sea of Words, Third Edition: A Lexicon and Companion to the Complete Seafaring Tales of Patrick O'Brian (9780805066159): Dean King, John B. Hattendorf, J. Worth Estes: Books

It has a few chapters of historical explanations. Then it has a section on maps and types of ships and ship diagrams with illustrations. Most of the book is a glossary of nautical terms.

My pile to go back to the library includes Harlan Coben's, Fool Me Once, a good typical Coben about a woman who's dead husband appears on her nanny cam (good twist at the end); and Sheila Weller's, Girls Like Us, a biography of Carole King, Joni Mitchell, and Carly Simon. It is a big, dense book which I didn't expect to finish but did and enjoyed along the way.

On vacation this weekend, and read Stephen King's Joyland, a coming of age story/murder mystery set in an amusement park on the Carolina coast. I liked it much more than many of King's more recent efforts (11/22/63 is a notable, excellent exception). At less than 300 pages, it was a quick and easy read. Recommended for King fans.

Just finished all 4 of the Neopolitan Novels by Elena Ferrante.

Book 1 My Brilliant Friend. For me, hard to get into and to follow with so many Italian names thrown at you ---but with frequent reference back to the list of characters in the front of the book I was glad to stick with it because it gets better...it sets up books 2 and 3 which I found extremely compelling. (book 2 The Story of a New Name and Book 3 Those Who Leave and Those Who Stay). The last book (The Story of the Lost Child) left me a little disappointed but I was glad to get through this amazing 1600+ page opus.

People talk about it being a feminist story. I am not a woman, so what do I know, but it just seemed a very human story. About childhood and friendship, and love and loss, and youth and aging, and work and life, and a very different culture. I never appreciated before how very different life and politics in a Western European city could be from what we know in the USA.

This is a great series of books that I highly recommend.
But it is a big commitment.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

I've been reading the last few Anne Tyler books. I love her writing, but it's not for everyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom