What have you read recently? 2009 -2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
They were surely 'different'. :)

Yes, i just can't imagine living that way. My mom and my husband both love to "save" things. My mom is gone, but my husband gets so annoyed with me when I throw out something that is broken, but he is saving to fix. There is no way I'm going to end up squashed by falling junk. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Last edited:
I am reading the ninth Bruno Courrèges, Chief of Police, novel by Martin Walker. Set in the Dordogne region of France, in the fictional town of St. Denis. Very enjoyable.

I am reading the ninth Bruno Courrèges, Chief of Police, novel by Martin Walker. Set in the Dordogne region of France, in the fictional town of St. Denis. Very enjoyable.
Thanks for the idea. Our library seems to be very active in this author's series. Generally I like to read a series in order and here is an ordered list for others to browse: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martin_Walker

I'm reading Stefan Zweig'smemoir The World of Yesterday, about growing up Jewish in Vienna during the collapse of the Austro-Hungarian empire, the two World Wars, and the rapid change of culture in between. Fascinating!

Just finished The Girl with the Lower Back Tattoo by Amy Schumer. Not for everyone, but I enjoyed it.

Just finished The Girl with the Lower Back Tattoo by Amy Schumer. Not for everyone, but I enjoyed it.

Well, I don't know much about Amy Schumer. For some reason have a negative impression of her. But, that's a pretty funny book title. Having read the girl with the dragon tattoo series which I thought was great maybe I should give this a try......nah.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Just finished The Nix by Nathan Hill which I really enjoyed. The author has been compared to John Irving.

There’s never enough time to do all the nothing you want.
Bill Watterson, Calvin and Hobbes

Just finished "The Confidence Game," by Maria Konnikova. It's about con games and con artists over the years. I found the stories about the con games and con artists a good read, but all the psychobabble in between those things not very interesting (and I skimmed through it).

I just finished J. D. Vance's memoir, Hillbilly Elegy, and I found it fascinating.

It's about Vance growing up, but it's really about Hillbilly (i.e. scots-irish) culture and disfunction in America.

DW put me on to P. D. James, and I recently finished the 14 books in her series of murder mysteries featuring Adam Dalgleish, an English police detective.

Very enjoyable, and they should be available in most library systems.

I always like to read series like that in order, so I recommend starting with the first, "Cover Her Face". If you like it, you might want to continue. I certainly did.

Just finished Thinking, Fast and Slow by Daniel Kahneman. I usually read non-fiction and get my fiction fix by watching Netflix and Amazon Prime. I had a library copy with a smaller font than my Kindle. I also read books like I am reading a physics textbook (very slow). This took me 3 weeks to finish, I read a lot on behavioral economics. Amazon review here. Currently reading The Road to Little Dribbling by Bill Bryson. This is the Kindle version from the local library. Easier on my eyes.

Thanks for the idea. Our library seems to be very active in this author's series. Generally I like to read a series in order and here is an ordered list for others to browse: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martin_Walker

I have now finished the latest Martin Walker (thanks for posting the series list, lsbcal), and I do recommend reading them in order. Like many series, the first books are the best imo and by the ninth, they often don't match that caliber in plotting and character development. If you like a series and read them in order, though, you will still usually find something to like. This series reminds me so much of Louise Penny's Three Pines books--good writing, a continuing cast of interesting characters, a setting that is a character in itself--so if the story line goes a bit astray, I can still enjoy those things. Because both the Walker and Penny books are mostly set in small villages, one does have to wonder at the homicide rate!

Just started No Man's Lands by Scott Huler....following the journey of Odysseus......I like the premise and the book might be absorbing....(although a number of the reviews contain 'howevers'......but, since I only paid $1 for it.......)

No Man's Lands: One Man's Odyssey Through The Odyssey by Scott Huler — Reviews, Discussion, Bookclubs, Lists

About a third of the way through this now, (broke off to read Mixed Blood which I enjoyed), and am finding the mix of mythology/geography/history quite enthralling.....a good read.

I'm reading Heading Toward Omega by Kenneth Ring. Dr. Ring was one of the first (American) researchers of Near-Death experiences. This stuff is fascinating to me....

Just started No Man's Lands by Scott Huler....following the journey of Odysseus......I like the premise and the book might be absorbing....(although a number of the reviews contain 'howevers'......but, since I only paid $1 for it.......)

No Man's Lands: One Man's Odyssey Through The Odyssey by Scott Huler — Reviews, Discussion, Bookclubs, Lists

Finished No Man's Lands and thoroughly enjoyed it..........even found what could be an oblique reference to those partaking in the Current Credit Card Charges thread, and which will undoubtedly clarify matters for everyone:

Regarding Homer, the experts agree on these facts: Homer either did, or did not exist; he lived in the ninth century BC, unless it was the eighth, or tenth, or not at all; he wrote The Iliad and The Odyssey, or one of them, or neither, or perhaps other lost poems; either he actually wrote or he dictated, since he was either literate or illiterate; either he was blind or he was not; and he was born, if he ever was, in Smyrna - or in Argos, or Chios, or Colophon, or Salamis, or Rhodes, or Athens. That's the general agreement. If you go beyond that, people begin arguing.

I am almost finished A Dog's Purpose. It's a perfect book for dog lovers. I am looking at my dogs differently now.😍

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

I got the first novel in this series titled Bruno, Chief of Police: https://www.amazon.com/Bruno-Chief-...F8&qid=1475337363&sr=8-1&keywords=bruno+chief

It was a little weak on the suspense but that doesn't bother me. The author is British, was in reporting, and has written several non-fiction books. He seems to know his history. A very interesting account of France from an inside view and the book covers some WW2 history that is generally not know or discussed.

The book was written in 2008 and the comments are still quite relevant today with some of the turmoil in Europe.

Last edited:
I got the first novel in this series titled Bruno, Chief of Police: https://www.amazon.com/Bruno-Chief-...F8&qid=1475337363&sr=8-1&keywords=bruno+chief

It was a little weak on the suspense but that doesn't bother me. The author is British, was in reporting, and has written several non-fiction books. He seems to know his history. A very interesting account of France from an inside view and the book covers some WW2 history that is generally not know or discussed.

The book was written in 2008 and the comments are still quite relevant today with some of the turmoil in Europe.

Yes re the suspense. I read a lot of mysteries and I like how they vary--the setting and characters are good in this series and it's okay with me that the mysteries aren't especially mysterious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom