Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 05-31-2018, 08:58 AM   #2861
Recycles dryer sheets

For the more leisurely read, you cannot beat Clive Clussler. Easy to read, but can be hard to put down. For those of you mainly men who like to read try the following.
Fargo Adventures – Husband & wife historical treasure hunters.
Spartan Gold – Excellent
The Jungle – Very Good
The other three books in the series are also excellent.
Author – Clive Clussler
Orgeon Adventures - Excellent – All of them
Ex-CIA sets up his own company

Historical
Newt Gingrich – To Try Men’s Souls – Excellent Book
A novel of George Washington, and the fight for American freedom. Based on true facts of George Washington being asked to be the general and the crossing of the Delaware.

Older movies that are not in the mainstream that are very good.
Movies
Illusionist - Excellent
Gun Shy – Comedy Excellent

Hope you enjoy. Reading for expanding the mind, less TV more reading for retirement.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-31-2018, 09:11 AM   #2862
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

A few years ago I decided to read Clive Cussler, as I'm always looking for series with a lot of books to keep me entertained. So I started the Dirk Pitt books from the beginning. I started with The Mediterranean Caper, and made it through to Iceberg (books one and two). They were so misogynistic and homophobic I couldn't go any further. I've heard that things go better in Raise the Titanic (which I saw as a bad movie), but I've just never gone back. Shame, since there's like a million books which could keep me busy for awhile.
Old 05-31-2018, 09:36 AM   #2863
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogman View Post
For the more leisurely read, you cannot beat Clive Clussler. Easy to read, but can be hard to put down. For those of you mainly men who like to read try the following.
Fargo Adventures – Husband & wife historical treasure hunters.
Spartan Gold – Excellent
The Jungle – Very Good
The other three books in the series are also excellent.
Author – Clive Clussler
Orgeon Adventures - Excellent – All of them
Ex-CIA sets up his own company

I started reading Cussler's books years ago. As of today I have all but one of the first edition of everything he has written. About 65+. All but 3 are unread in protective covered jackets (Mostly I read the paperback versions I pick up in used book stores). They aren't really worth anything but it has been a fun and inexpensive way to have a collection.

Fun read and consist of quite a few series. To start now to read them all would take some time. He usually has at least 3 new books each year.

Cheers!
Old 06-03-2018, 04:16 PM   #2864
Administrator

Just finished "The Shape of Water". I enjoyed it and think I'll rent the DVD.
Old 06-04-2018, 05:26 AM   #2865
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ally View Post
I’m reading
A Man Called Ove, which my son gave me for my birthday. So far, I like it.
Beartown, also by Backman is excellent. It is a story about kids growing up in a Swedish hockey town that feels like rural Pennsylvania or upstate New York. He has a new one set in the same town that I haven't read yet.
Old 06-06-2018, 05:11 AM   #2866
Give me a forum ...

I normally get my books from the library but I recently read a reviwe of a new quantum physics book that caught my interest and ordered a copy from the UK. The HB won't be published over here until the fall. It is worth watching for if you like writers like Brian Greene who popularize science topics. It is Beyond Weird: Why Everything You Thought You Knew About Quantum Physics is Different, by Philip Ball. PhysicsWorld dot com has a good review.
Old 06-06-2018, 09:23 AM   #2867

I just completed 'Astrophysics for People in a Hurry' by Neil DeGrasse Tyson. It was indeed a quick read, but a nice update on the current thoughts in astrophysics. Very little of the book is down in the weeds, so most of it is understandable to most people, IMO.

"We live the lives we lead because of the thoughts we think" ...Michael O’Neill
"We can cannot compel others to do our will" ....Norman Goldman
"There never is shortage of the gullible to accept the illogical"...Anonymous
Old 06-06-2018, 09:26 AM   #2868

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
Read another excellent Ann Cleeves "Vera" mystery, The Glass Room.

https://www.amazon.com/Glass-Room-Ve...the+glass+room

I love the Vera series on Acorn TV and wonder if reading the stories will ruin episodes for me? Or do the tv shows not follow the books?
Old 06-06-2018, 09:27 AM   #2869

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
Beartown, also by Backman is excellent. It is a story about kids growing up in a Swedish hockey town that feels like rural Pennsylvania or upstate New York. He has a new one set in the same town that I haven't read yet.

Thanks so much!
Old 06-06-2018, 10:22 AM   #2870
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I love the Vera series on Acorn TV and wonder if reading the stories will ruin episodes for me? Or do the tv shows not follow the books?

For DW and I it has not been a problem. It doesn't bother me if I know who-done-it. For me it is more about what the author or screen shows me about life.
Old 06-06-2018, 10:34 AM   #2871
Give me a forum ...

Just finished Bryan Burrough's book Days of Rage.

It is about America's radical underground, Weathermen, SLA, etc.

I had no idea that there were so many bombings, so many murders during that period in the early-mid 70's.
Old 06-10-2018, 07:47 PM   #2872
Give me a forum ...

Just finished The Queen of The South by Arturo Pérez-Reverte....excellent!

https://bookpage.com/reviews/3548-ar...h#.Wx3T1YpKjDc

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Old 06-13-2018, 05:46 PM   #2873

Just starting Charlie LeDuff's "Detroit: An American Autopsy". Having grown up in Flint (Detroit is the a**hole of the world, and Flint is 60 miles up it) I can relate.

LeDuff seems like a combination of Royko, Terkel and gonzo Hunter S. I'd seen him on Bourdains show on the Detroit episode. He left The NY Times to return to Detroit. Pretty gritty stuff, so far.
Old 06-13-2018, 08:22 PM   #2874
Recycles dryer sheets

"The Tyranny of Metrics" by Jerry Muller. All about how running an organization by concentrating on the metrics encourages employees to game they system to meet the goals of the metrics. Not all things that are important can be measured, and not all things that can be measured are important. For example, if Medicare reduces reimbursement for hospitals because of too many readmissions within 30 days of discharge, then hospitals simply don't readmit the patient - they place them in an "observation" status as an outpatient, even though the patient is occupying a hospital bed for several days.
Old 06-14-2018, 06:10 AM   #2875
Moderator Emeritus

Just bought "Beyond the Hundredth Meridian - John Wesley Powell and the Second Opening of the West" by Wallace Stegner. Add this to the pile of 4 or so books that I'm in the middle of.
Old 06-14-2018, 06:22 AM   #2876
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Thanks so much!
Quote:
We listen to Vera audiobooks on roadtrips and have noticed the TV shows are not exactly the same in many details—one had even changed the killer from the one in the book/audiobook!—so I wouldn’t worry about it.
Old 06-15-2018, 08:36 AM   #2877
Give me a forum ...

Munich by Robert Harris covers a few days leading up to and including the Munich agreement between Chamberlain and Hitler. A more nuanced treatment of Chamberlain's thinking in this historical fiction novel. https://www.amazon.com/Munich-novel-...+robert+harris
Old 06-15-2018, 03:20 PM   #2878
Give me a forum ...

Yeonmi Park's 'In Order to Live'

About this young woman's life in North Korea, her and her mother's escape to and experiences in China, and their eventual escape to South Korea.
Old 06-15-2018, 08:58 PM   #2879

Just finished 'Two Kinds of Truth' by Michael Connelly. Yet another lackluster, disappointing effort from my formerly favorite novelist.
Old 06-15-2018, 09:59 PM   #2880
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolRich59 View Post
Just finished 'Two Kinds of Truth' by Michael Connelly. Yet another lackluster, disappointing effort from my formerly favorite novelist.
We must have read two different ones with the same title and author. I was interested in his discussion of a part of the opioid trade.
Closed Thread