Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 07-04-2018, 02:33 PM   #2901
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I just listened to Dr Elisabeth Rosenthal's 'An American Sickness' again. Just as depressing the second time. Currently listening to Dr Paul Ruggieri's 'Confessions of a Surgeon'. Comes across like many surgeons I have known so that is good I suppose. Interestingly, I think that I would enjoy it more if it had a different reader.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-08-2018, 09:53 AM   #2902
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Theory of Bastards, by Audry Schulman, is excellent. Especially after reading The Evolution of Beauty, which explores female mate choice in birds. Schulman's protagonist is a 32 year old evolutionary biologist who is recovering from surgery for stage 4 endometriosis. She has recently received a MacArthur Genius Award and agrees to work in for a foundation that has a research enclosure of Bonobos - the great ape species closest to us. The novel is set in a near future world where climate change has turned the mid-west into the dust-bowl of the depression. The book is a meditation on living with pain, love, and sex. The Bonobos have a lot to teach us. I won't spoil the book by saying more.
Old 07-08-2018, 09:59 AM   #2903
Give me a forum ...

"Atheist in a Foxhole," by Joe Muto. Muto, a liberal, worked for the conservative Fox News Channel from 2004 to 2012, starting as a production assistant and eventually working for Bill O'Reilly. He also became a mole, leaking some information to Gawker which got him into trouble. Good read, so far, even though I haven't gotten to the really good stuff yet.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
Old 07-11-2018, 03:52 PM   #2904

It felt like I spent most of June reading “The Fountainhead” by Ayn Rand. For me, this book was not a page-turner (and there were an awful lot of pages to be turned). I read every single page (it was either do that or read a thread about “I Can’t Talk to People About My Early Retirement.” Anyhow, I had to renew the library book twice before I finished it. From what I gather “The Fountainhead” is controversial. I wouldn’t have picked that up from reading the book. To me, book seemed to be about a number of main characters with little-to-no people skills, who were totally preoccupied with their own interests, unable to connect with others, void of empathy and not very good sexually. In all fairness, it should be mentioned that the main character was very good at his profession, but also possessed all the characteristics mentioned above. Maybe I missed the big picture (which can be rented from Netflix). But if it holds the book is almost always better than the movie, I can’t see me renting “The Fountainhead” anytime soon.
Old 07-11-2018, 04:34 PM   #2905
Recycles dryer sheets

The Woman in the Woods, The latest by John Connolly. It's been a really good series.

https://www.johnconnollybooks.com/am...-parker-series

Also just finished Stephen King's latest, The Outsider. Typical King, creepy as hell.
Old 07-11-2018, 05:02 PM   #2906
Give me a forum ...

LOL Redduck. I read it decades ago and your review captured my reaction to a T.
Old 07-13-2018, 01:01 PM   #2907
Give me a forum ...

David Downing's Masaryk Station, the last of the excellent 'John Russell' series.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...asaryk-station

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Old 07-13-2018, 08:20 PM   #2908

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
If you are looking for a compelling summer read, Bearskin, James McLaughlin's debut novel is just the ticket. Sort of a marriage of Deliverance with Heart of Darkness. Beautiful Prose.
Just got this from the library today.

Also, I'm just finishing up the audiobook version of David McCullough's 1776. McCullough does the reading of the book and I just love his voice. (His narration of Ken Burn's Civil War is also terrific.)
Old 07-14-2018, 02:59 AM   #2909
Full time employment: Posting here.

INVEST FOR FIRE

https://www.investforfire.com

this guy's blog , is attracting some attention in Australia ( so some of this is Australian focused )

heavy reading in places ,

it is NOT a forum , however some topics fairly general and could be applied in most of the investing scenarios a retail investor might venture into

( PS i am still reading my way through this , i like to read a bit and think about what i have just read )

i hope it helps somebody achieving their aims

You must learn from the mistakes of others. You can't possibly live long enough to make them all yourself.

Samuel Levenson
Old 07-14-2018, 08:40 PM   #2910
Full time employment: Posting here.

If I Die in the Combat Zone, by Tim O'Brien.

Required reading for a class...glad it was.
Old 07-14-2018, 09:03 PM   #2911
Administrator

This is what I read the past two weeks in Maine.

Faith of Our Fathers by John McCain & Mark Salter. The descriptions of growing up a "Navy brat" and attending the US Naval Academy accorded with my experience.

All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr. A story set in Germany and occupied France in WWII. I can see why it won the Pulitzer. The writing was magnificent.

The Forgotten Man by Amity Schlaes. A libertarian take on the efficacy of the New Deal in recovering from the Great Depression. Food for thought.

1939: The Lost World of the Fair by David Gelertner. A slightly fictionalized account of the 1939 New York World's Fair. I have always been interested in the "High 30s" and the Fair itself.

The Book Thieves: The Nazi Looting of Europe's Libraries and the Race to Return a Literary Inheritance by Anders Rydell. I have a great interest in the art lost in WWII and this added another dimension.

Leonardo da Vinci by Walter Isaacson. I never tire of the Italian Renaissance, and Isaacson is a very good writer.

I am slowing down. In years past, I would read a book each day. Now it takes me two days. Until recently, there was no cell phone coverage at the cabin. Now there is, and I am often distracted by this forum.
Old 07-15-2018, 06:47 PM   #2912

Quote:
If you are looking for a compelling summer read, Bearskin, James McLaughlin's debut novel is just the ticket. Sort of a marriage of Deliverance with Heart of Darkness. Beautiful Prose.
Just finished. An excellent debut novel. It really grabs hold of you and draws you in. I'm looking forward to his next book!
Old 07-15-2018, 07:43 PM   #2913
Confused about dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denverite View Post
Thanks for the tip. Just finished "Leonardo Da Vinci" by Walter Isaacson, which was EXCELLENT but a lengthy and detailed read. McLaughlin's book sounds like a good summer novel.

I read this too..... not bad at all.
Old 07-15-2018, 07:44 PM   #2914
Confused about dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolRich59 View Post
Just finished. An excellent debut novel. It really grabs hold of you and draws you in. I'm looking forward to his next book!

Good read!
Old 07-17-2018, 01:49 PM   #2915
Give me a forum ...

Educated, a memoir by Tara Westover, is one of the best books I have read this year. Westover grew up in rural Idaho in a terribly dysfunctional, fundamentalist Mormon family where she was dominated by an oppressive bipolar father, tormented by an abusive, disturbed older brother, and effectively abandoned by her faith healing mother. Ostensibly home schooled, she was actually virtually unschooled. Her only books for much of her youth were the Bible and The Book of Mormon. She learned arithmetic from an illustrated book. Yet, with shear determination, she was able to self teach herself in her teens, got a very high ACT score, and gained admission to Brigham Young University. There she earned stellar grades and won a Gates Scholar slot a Cambridge - their version of Oxford's Rhodes Scholars Program. Westover pulls us into her life and family and makes us understand the reasons why it is almost impossible to break loose from such a life. The fact that she and at least two of her brothers did borders on miraculous. Put this one on your list.
Old 07-17-2018, 02:07 PM   #2916
Give me a forum ...

Bad Things Happen, by
Harry Dolan
https://www.publishersweekly.com/978-0-399-15563-5

A whodunnit and more...what did they do, why did they do it, and "Have you considered that...."

A great first novel, entertaining...I enjoyed it.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Old 07-17-2018, 03:07 PM   #2917
Recycles dryer sheets

No judgement, please. Just finished, Let’s Pretend This Never Happened by Jenny Lawson. Very light, somewhat rude, very, very funny. If you’ve spent time in Texas (or suffered from anxiety) you’ll appreciate her story.
Old 07-17-2018, 06:53 PM   #2918

Quote:
Educated, a memoir by Tara Westover, is one of the best books I have read this year. Westover grew up in rural Idaho in a terribly dysfunctional, fundamentalist Mormon family where she was dominated by an oppressive bipolar father, tormented by an abusive, disturbed older brother, and effectively abandoned by her faith healing mother. Ostensibly home schooled, she was actually virtually unschooled. Her only books for much of her youth were the Bible and The Book of Mormon. She learned arithmetic from an illustrated book. Yet, with shear determination, she was able to self teach herself in her teens, got a very high ACT score, and gained admission to Brigham Young University. There she earned stellar grades and won a Gates Scholar slot a Cambridge - their version of Oxford's Rhodes Scholars Program. Westover pulls us into her life and family and makes us understand the reasons why it is almost impossible to break loose from such a life. The fact that she and at least two of her brothers did borders on miraculous. Put this one on your list.
I have to agree. I rarely read memoirs but this one is well written and fascinating.
Old 08-08-2018, 01:03 PM   #2919
Give me a forum ...

If you like medical thrillers, Bad Blood: Secrets and Lies in a Silicon Valley Startup, is a must read. I was vaguely familiar with some of the shenanigans at Theranos from the Wall Street Journal articles a few years ago. But this book, by the Journal reporter who exposed the scandal, gets into the details of the fraud from birth to death. It paints a picture of a toxic company overseen by a pair of villains the likes of which you rarely encounter.
Old 08-08-2018, 01:55 PM   #2920
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
If you like medical thrillers, Bad Blood: Secrets and Lies in a Silicon Valley Startup, is a must read. I was vaguely familiar with some of the shenanigans at Theranos from the Wall Street Journal articles a few years ago. But this book, by the Journal reporter who exposed the scandal, gets into the details of the fraud from birth to death. It paints a picture of a toxic company overseen by a pair of villains the likes of which you rarely encounter.
+1 Excellent read, and not surprising that Elizabeth Holmes has since received a criminal indictment. Quite the scam they had going at that company.
Closed Thread