What have you read recently? 2009 -2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was also in flight today and read " Executive Priviledge " by Philip Margolin . It is a great book to keep you engrossed throught the turbulence .

Currently reading Stayin' Safe,The Art and Science of Riding Really Well, a collection of magazine articles on motorcycle riding by Lawrence Grodsky. Next up is A Twist of the Wrist by Keith Code, another book on street riding.

Just Finished Eon and Eternity by Greg Bear, both science fiction, and Blood, Sweat, and 2nd Gear, by flash gordon, MD. (Yes, that's his real name.) A book about basic medical information of use to motorcyclists, bicyclists, hikers and anyone else who spends a lot of time outside more than an hour away from a hospital. I didn't know that washing a wound with water was bad for cells, far better is a mild saline solution. Or how exponentially fast germs grow in a wound - washing it with water at a gas station hose is far better than doing nothing.

So in addition to the tool kit, tire plugs and CO2 tire inflation kit, a first aid kit will be added to the saddlebags.

Errornomics by Joseph T Hallinan

A short but entertaining and educational read on why we make so many mistakes.

A quote from the conclusion:

"It takes determination and discipline to re-craft a life - which is why....so many retired people end up going back to work. The mistake they make is that they spend their time doing the same old things they've always done and not the new things they thought they were going to do."

Currently reading Stayin' Safe,The Art and Science of Riding Really Well, a collection of magazine articles on motorcycle riding by Lawrence Grodsky. Next up is A Twist of the Wrist by Keith Code, another book on street riding.

Just Finished Eon and Eternity by Greg Bear, both science fiction, and Blood, Sweat, and 2nd Gear, by flash gordon, MD. (Yes, that's his real name.) A book about basic medical information of use to motorcyclists, bicyclists, hikers and anyone else who spends a lot of time outside more than an hour away from a hospital. I didn't know that washing a wound with water was bad for cells, far better is a mild saline solution. Or how exponentially fast germs grow in a wound - washing it with water at a gas station hose is far better than doing nothing.

So in addition to the tool kit, tire plugs and CO2 tire inflation kit, a first aid kit will be added to the saddlebags.

Now I want to read all of these!

Thanks to a mention from CuppaJoe, I just read "Piece of String" by Guy de Maupassant, the master of short stories.

I read it 5 minutes ago. You can too. No knowledge of French needed. The English translation that I found is right here.

Short Stories: A Piece of String by Guy de Maupassant

Read Desolation Island by Patrick O'Brian and enjoyed it.

You might check out Patrick O'Brian in Wikepedia. There is a nice list of the order of his books there plus further links. Also I bought Sea of Words as recommended by others to look up some of the nautical terms plus some extra background history and ship illustrations. Also bought Harbors and High Seas which has maps for the individual books in the O'Brian series (which I get from our library).

After reading O'Brian's books you should really have a jump on the other guys on Talk Like a Pirate Day
icon_biggrin.gif
. Or if you really need a jump on this and cannot wait to read an O'Brian book then check out: Pirate Speak: How To Talk Like A Pirate - Talk Like A Pirate Day UK Headquarters

Thanks to a mention from CuppaJoe, I just read "Piece of String" by Guy de Maupassant, the master of short stories....

NW-B, if someone put that story on a link in the finance section, the forum would have a field day with it. Obsessive-compulsive geezer’s excessive frugality....

The Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet by James Ford.

A story set in Seattle about a Chinese boy and Japanese girl during World War II including the forced movement of Japanese to camps. The story moves between the war years and the mid-1980's.

Excellant read! Downloaded from the public library to my Palm.

-- Rita

finished a book!

Finished listening to The story of Edgar Sawtelle, and Duty to the Dead (a Bess Crawford mystery) Liked both of them, I like audiobooks cause I work in a library on the computer all day cataloging books, and my eyes are shot after 8 hours!
I am now reading "heaven's keep" by William krueger (the Cork O' Connor mystery series) he's great as is the Joe Pickett series by C.J. Box.

Live in Colorado, and after the last 2 days I should be reading "The Shining" Remember the snowstorm:)

NW-B, if someone put that story on a link in the finance section, the forum would have a field day with it. Obsessive-compulsive geezer’s excessive frugality....

While on a walk around the neighborhood, I would pick up nuts and bolts fallen off cars if they still looked serviceable. I would throw them into my coffee can of hardware when I got back home. Heh heh heh... Old frugal habits die hard.

Just read

The Rising,City Dead, and Day by Day Armageddon.

Just candy like reading. Good for some Halloween mood stuff. If you enjoy Apocalyptic zombie stuff.

Lol warning if you are looking for something to broaden your horizons...move along.

I'm reading "My life in France " by Julia Child . After seeing the movie I've been intrigued with her life .

Want to understand Pakistan and Afganistan?

I just finished Three Cups of Tea. It's a fascinating story of a selfless man who was actually nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize.

I agree that the US is on its way down. Funny thing is, people still think we're number one in a whole bunch of areas where we're actually down around 30-40. Infant mortality, life longevity, literacy rates, health, perceived happiness etc. Many countries rate higher than we do. Cuba is WAY ahead of us in literacy.

Yep, not much else to do but read and try to keep your 56 Chevy running...

Hey, they also have cigars. Making them and smoking them is full time work.

Just finished "My stroke of insight," about a neuroanatomist who had a cerebral hemorrhage at age 37, essentially lost her left brain, and made a complete recovery over eight years. Informative about the plasticity of the brain and its opportunities for recovery, but more interesting was her spiritual enlightenment as she lived more fully in her right brain. Fascinating, hopeful and quick read.

On to "Agility training: The fun sport for all dogs." Oh yes, yes it is, even when the dog you've got is a big galumphing Lab.

In the middle of Lois McMaster Bujold's Miles Vorkosigan series (sci-fi). It is really very good.

Republican Gomorrah: Inside the Movement that Shattered the Party by Max Blumenthal

Just plain jaw dropping.

I'm reading, Bike Diaries, by David Byrne (Talking Heads). For thirty years Byrne has taken a folding bike along on his travels and used it to explore far flung corners of the cities he visits. His "diaries" are only tangentially about biking. They are primarily riffs on the culture, history, politics, art, architecture and music of the places he visits. An enjoyable read. I have been a Byrne fan since I first saw the video of a Stop Making Sense concert..

Listening to The Associate by Grisham. Much better than his previous one The Appeal. Remnds me The Firm.

An oldie but goodie. Salamader by Morris West.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom