Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 12-07-2009, 12:23 PM   #281
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Moemg, I am reading the same book. I love the Kinsey Milhone series and had it pre-ordered on Amazon. Haven't finished yet, but it is living up to expectations.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-07-2009, 01:00 PM   #282
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
Moemg, I am reading the same book. I love the Kinsey Milhone series and had it pre-ordered on Amazon. Haven't finished yet, but it is living up to expectations.

Her books are always a good read . I wonder what will happen at the end of the alphabet .
Old 12-07-2009, 02:30 PM   #283
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I really like the character of Grafton's Kensey. Will wait until the latest book is easily available in the library.

For November I read:
David Ignatius, The Increment -- CIA agent works with British MI6 agent + rich Lebonese business man to get Iran intelligence before US overreacts there

Daniel Silva, The Unlikely Spy -- German female deep cover agent in England tries to steal secrets of coming Allied invasion. British former professor now with MI5 works to stop the agents.

I liked Silva's book best. Hope I'm not giving away anything by letting you know that the Allies did win the war.
Old 12-07-2009, 03:01 PM   #284
Full time employment: Posting here.

Thought that I would chime in on Julia Child's "My Life in France"

I just finished reading it and loved it (earlier poster mentioned it as a cure for insominia). The book made Julia Child seem like someone I would have liked if I had known her. My previous impressions of her had more to do with Dan Ackroyd than with anything she had done. It also motivated me to read "Julie and Julia" and while I didn't like it as well as "My Life in France" it was an interesting companion book. I plan to rent the DVD to see the movie.
Old 12-07-2009, 04:31 PM   #285

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
Her books are always a good read . I wonder what will happen at the end of the alphabet .
I think once she gets thru the alphabet that will be it. I was reading an article a couple of weeks ago and it said that Sue Grafton is 69. So as she has another 5 letters to go and it seems to be at least 2 years between books, I'm just hoping she holds it together well enough to get thru to Z.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
Old 12-07-2009, 04:40 PM   #286
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIYes View Post
Thought that I would chime in on Julia Child's "My Life in France"

I just finished reading it and loved it (earlier poster mentioned it as a cure for insominia). The book made Julia Child seem like someone I would have liked if I had known her. My previous impressions of her had more to do with Dan Ackroyd than with anything she had done. It also motivated me to read "Julie and Julia" and while I didn't like it as well as "My Life in France" it was an interesting companion book. I plan to rent the DVD to see the movie.

I saw the movie first and then I read the book . The movie touched on a lot of aspects of the book but in a more fun way . I am usually disappointed if I see the movie first and then read the book whereas if I read the book and then see the movie I enjoy it better .
Old 01-01-2010, 12:29 PM   #287
Give me a forum ...

For December I read:

Deborah Crombie, A Finer End -- mysticism in Glastonbury is underlying theme. Kinkaid is asked by his cousin to investigate a case of lady vicar hurt by hit-and-run driver. Not sure I like the authors total embrace of mysticism but she is a good writer.

C. J. Sansom, Revelation -- a serial killer is loose and Shardlake is tasked by Archbishop Cranmer to find the killer. Henry VIII has designs on Catherine Parr to be queen #6. Good historical fiction, well researched I think! This is the 4th book in his Shardlake series with the first book being Dissolution.

P.S. Goal for 2010 is to read two fiction novels per month, as long as it's fun . Happy New Year to all!
Old 01-01-2010, 01:53 PM   #288
Gone but not forgotten

I just got "Digging to America " by Ann Tyler . Her boooks are usually quirky and I like that .I also got "THe Help" by Katherine stockett and for real light reading I have Plum Lucky by Janet Evanovich . Her books are a hoot especially if you ever spent time in New Jersey .
Old 01-02-2010, 12:15 PM   #289

I am currently in the middle of a series of books by the author
Bernard Cornwell

These are very entertaining reads. I have already completed
The Archer's Tale (The Grail Quest, Book 1) and am currently in the middle of Vagabond (The Grail Quest, Book 2) The
Heretic will round out the series.

La tavola e il letto non hanno restrizioni.
Old 01-02-2010, 12:23 PM   #290

I just finished reading Shy Boy: The Horse That Came in from the Wild by Monty Roberts. A heartwarming and true story. For any of you that want a pony (like I do! ), I think you'd enjoy the book. At least half of it is absolutely exquisite photography.
Old 01-03-2010, 08:56 PM   #291

I'm reading Still Alice, by Lisa Genova... and I haven't been able to put it down all day. It has touched on one of my deep-seated fears, early onset Alzheimer's. The fictional story is about a Harvard professor (Alice) who is diagnosed at age 50. Note that on Amazon's reviews, the book gets a solid 5-star rating from 298 reviews! So far, it does not disappoint. Amazon.com: Still Alice (9781439102817): Lisa Genova: Books
Old 01-04-2010, 05:38 AM   #292

"The brass verdict" by M. Connelly and The innocent" by H. Coben.
Old 01-04-2010, 07:02 AM   #293
Recycles dryer sheets

Finished The Kite Runner yesterday, now reading:
- The Road - Cormac Mccarthy
- How the Mind Works - Steve Pinker
- The Battle for God - Karen Armstrong
- Dark Paradise - Tami Hoag (got to read fluff sometimes too)

Don’t struggle so much, the best things happen when not expected. — Gabriel García Márquez
Old 01-04-2010, 07:26 PM   #294

I read 90 Minutes in Heaven, The Shack and the Twilight series. I just started Boom! Voices of the Sixties by Tom Brokaw.
Old 01-07-2010, 09:07 AM   #295
Give me a forum ...

Just finished this one:

Amazon.com: By a Spider's Thread (Lippman, Laura): Laura Lippman: Books

It was a solid 8/10, and I have some others of her's on hold at the library.

There's no office politics involved, which ruins many police or legal thrillers.
Old 01-08-2010, 02:20 PM   #296
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsbcal View Post

For November I read:
David Ignatius, The Increment -- CIA agent works with British MI6 agent + rich Lebonese business man to get Iran intelligence before US overreacts there

Just finished this one. Great read. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 01-10-2010, 02:59 PM   #297
Give me a forum ...

I just finished Michael Connelly's The Brass Verdict. What a pleasure. I got two more Laura Lippman books out of the library.
Old 01-10-2010, 03:54 PM   #298
Give me a forum ...

I am just about finished with Robert Wilson's middle book of his Africa series with Bruce Medway as the protagonist, Blood Is Dirt. I like all his books, unfortunately I have only one more to read before he is tapped out, at least so far.

Ha
Old 01-11-2010, 10:09 AM   #299

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
I just finished Michael Connelly's The Brass Verdict. What a pleasure. I got two more Laura Lippman books out of the library.
I, too, am enjooying The Brass Verdict. Have you read its predecessor The Lincoln Lawyer?
Old 01-11-2010, 11:46 AM   #300
Give me a forum ...

Yes, that was also good -- not that I remember what happened in it.