What have you read recently? 2009 -2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Finished The Girl Who Played With Fire, Steig Larsson's second book. If anything, this one is better than the first. This guy is a real loss to mystery lovers. My library doesn't have the third and last book yet.

Currently reading An Empire of wealth
Amazon.com: Empire of Wealth, An eBook: John Steele Gordon: Kindle Store

This is an economic history of the United States.

Hubby and I are also watching the Great Courses DVDs "The History of the United States". This has been good since it puts the current economic and political situation in context for us. The founding and building of this country as always been tumultuous. These times are more of the same. We will get through this.

I recently finished one of the best mysteries I have read in years. The Girl With the Dragon Tatoo, by Stieg Larsson, follows a Swedish Reporter and a 23 year old girl with Asparger's syndrome as they track down the story on the disappearance of a 16 year old girl 45 years ago. Good plot, nice twists, interesting setting in rural Sweden. Unfortunately, Larsson only has two books in him - he died shortly after turning the two manuscripts in to his publisher. His second, The Girl Who Played With Fire, is waiting for pickup at the library.

I read that one last week when I was on vacation. I thought it was really well written, it's was not as if halfway thru the book it was obvious what the ending would be. I want to read the second one, but will likely wait for it to come out in paperback.

With regards to the movie, I read somewhere that they suggested seeing the original version in Swedish with the subtitles, not sure if it is was because someone had seen the English language version and thought it wasn't as good.

Well I've got to mention the last two books I've read. One took 3 weeks and one took 3 days. I'll let the reader determine which is which.

Well I finally read Atlas Shrugged. This I first became interested in via this thread (or possibly a similar one at Bogelhead's) then also noticed that it appeared on all "Best of" lists that I've every seen. So after many months on "my list" at the library I charged ahead.

Great book! (duh ..) Of course I liked how the generally discussed social-economic theme is presented and do feel that I'm now looking at current (and historical) events a little differently. (Do we really need to be involved in that ... ; insert program of the day etc.)

BUT ... what I was really impressed with was so much more. Things that I had either not paid attention to or hadn't heard from people recommending this book. This book is a riveting mystery, an action packed adventure series (train wrecks, plane wrecks, pirates, commando raids, etc.), a great sci-fi book with things and widgets that would make Jules Verne proud, and last but not least a wonderful love story that has some scenes that I'm sure had parts of 1957 America up in arms! Any how, liked the book. (Gee do you think maybe it's a classic for some reason??)

Next book (which may or may not have been mentioned on this thread) was Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen. This is also somewhat of a mystery, adventure, and love story all mixed together. First line of Chaper 1 goes something like: "I'm 90. Or 93. One or the other." The lead character is in a nursing home and you get the warmth and humor that you have to accept at these places. (Quick plug for Amigoland which also has excellent "nursing home humor".) But the lead character goes on to tell the story of his life with the circus during the depression. Wonderful story that just cannot be put down. (See first paragraph of this post.)

Sorry this is so long.

t.r. :flowers:

I agree about Water for Elephants. A very nice read.

In the last six months I've read the first 13 (of 21) of the "Master and Commander" series of books by Patrick O'Brian. They are a thundering good read if you like adventure, comraderie, and don't mind getting to know the difference between the knees and the futtocks, a skysail and a stunsail, and the cat head and the dog watch on early 19th century English naval ships. Lots of action, intrigue, and even a little history thrown in. The books focus on the lives and careers of Jack Aubrey, a big, bold, intellectually limited naval captain and his friend Dr. Steven Maturin, who is an intellectual, surgeon, naturalist, spy, and a dunderhead when it comes to ships and sailing them!

Here's another mention of Water for Elephants. I'd rate it a 9/10 or 10/10.

I'm just finishing The Quants: How a New Breed of Math Whizzes Conquered Wall Street and Nearly Destroyed It, by Scott Patterson. This is an inside seat to the hedge fund strategies that contributed to the collapse and the stomach churning roller coaster they found themselves on. Very good read.

Just wrapping up "Scratch Beginnings: Me, $25, and the search for the American Dream." It's a direct response to Barbara Ehrenbach's "Nickel and Dimed" in which the protagonist, just out of college, embarks on his own life experiment -- starting with just $25, a sleeping bag, the clothes on his back and an empty duffel bag, can he make it? "Making it" is defined as, at the end of a year, having an operable vehicle, a place to live that is furnished, and $2500 in the bank -- basically, the foundation for further advancement.

Interestingly written, and feels much more honest than Ehrenbach's books, which felt like cop-outs to me. Definitely a recommend.

I'm at home nursing a cold so I am fortunate that I have a library book on hand...Teddy Kennedy's autobiography "True Compass"(2009). It makes for a very good, entertaining read regardless of one's politics. Just finished it.

Last edited:
I just finished 10,001 Ways to Live Large on a Small Budget by the writers of Wise Bread. A good read, although many of course are irrelevant to some people.

I just started $20 Per Gallon: How the Inevitable Rise in the Price of Gasoline Will Change Our Lives for the Better by Christopher Steiner. That does give one pause.

I would keep my full-size GMC pickup truck (we do use those capabilities) but at $500 for a fill-up it sure wouldn't get much use. No point trying to sell it - who'd want it anyway? 50cc scooters would be very popular.

Air travel would once again be the province of only the very wealthy. And so on....

Reading a book that's changing my POV on world history- J.M. Roberts' New (Penguin) History of the World. It is a challenging read. His sentence structure is very complex but more importantly, practically every paragraph yields a profound philosophical observation from this great British scholar. Yes, he has a deep-seated "Eurocentric" bias-- after all, he did write The Triumph of the West. I'd like to think I can keep his prejudice in perspective and benefit from his thought. (Roberts was Ward of Merton College, a post recognizing a foremost British intellect continuously since the 1200's). It's not a history book with a list of events, telling their significance in comtemporary context. It's subtly different-- a look through a long lens at how the big currents of history brought the world to its various stages of development, stretching from hominid evolution to the present day. Its packed with provocative, delicious ideas and falls into neither sophistry or semiotics. Be prepared to spend time ploughing through it though; a worthwhile companion is a copy of the Random House Timetables of History. Powell's Books - by

BTW, my guilty pleasure is reading No.1 Ladies' Detective Agency books, I've finished all 10 and can't wait for the next book due in April! I'm also re-reading Dhalgren by Samuel R. Delany-- an exquisite book, one to get lost in for hours.

Just read A Reliable Wife by Robert Goolrick. It was an ok book, it wasn't a waste of my time as I read it on a flight. However, would not say it's one you must read.

Travel reading over the past two weeks:

The Bishop's Man by Linden McIntyre. Won the Giller Prize this year. Well written exploration of the life of a lonely priest whose job it is to manage colleagues who become child abusers. The abuse is a travesty that affects many people. Would have liked to see the main character more critically question his faith, but in reality he had nowhere else to go.

Handle with Care by Jodi Piccoult. This is the second book I have read by this author, who also wrote My Sister's Keeper. She specializes in medical - ethical dilemmas. Entertaining enough for travel, but a bit sensationalistic.

Skimming for now, but will read thoroughly in coming weeks...
Everything Family Guide to Coastal Florida [Kindle edition]
It is really fascinating to see what there is to do in FL without going to the usual theme parks. :D

Reading a book that's changing my POV on world history- J.M. Roberts' New (Penguin) History of the World. It is a challenging read. His sentence structure is very complex but more importantly, practically every paragraph yields a profound philosophical observation from this great British scholar. Yes, he has a deep-seated "Eurocentric" bias-- after all, he did write The Triumph of the West. I'd like to think I can keep his prejudice in perspective and benefit from his thought. (Roberts was Ward of Merton College, a post recognizing a foremost British intellect continuously since the 1200's). It's not a history book with a list of events, telling their significance in comtemporary context. It's subtly different-- a look through a long lens at how the big currents of history brought the world to its various stages of development, stretching from hominid evolution to the present day. Its packed with provocative, delicious ideas and falls into neither sophistry or semiotics. Be prepared to spend time ploughing through it though; a worthwhile companion is a copy of the Random House Timetables of History. Powell's Books - by

BTW, my guilty pleasure is reading No.1 Ladies' Detective Agency books, I've finished all 10 and can't wait for the next book due in April! I'm also re-reading Dhalgren by Samuel R. Delany-- an exquisite book, one to get lost in for hours.

You get the all time ER.org prize for the most erudite first post!

Ha

The avatar is less erudite -- I think -- I can't tell what it is.

I put the first No 1 Ladies' Detective Agency book on hold, thanks Edmundo.

I'm halfway through Pegasus Descending by James Lee Burke. Enjoyable reading, and I see that he has many more books out, so I have lots more good future reading to look forward to.

...(snip)...
I put the first No 1 Ladies' Detective Agency book on hold, thanks Edmundo.
There is also a TV series produced (I think) for a British audience. Best to see after reading some of Smith McCall's series. You can rent it out via Netflix. The DVD came with an interview with the author as well as some interesting comments on Botswana.

Just finished Pegasus Descending, which got a little too complex and messy towards the end, so I only rate it a 7/10.

Started Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte several weeks ago but just got around to finishing it today. Woo, what a strange book! Anybody else read it? What the hell happened to Heathcliff in the end? To me the reader is left wondering whether Catherine's spirit finally claimed him or did he finally commit suicide/willed himself to die still distraught over his unfulfilled love for Catherine? His death is as strange as his life.

Just finished Pegasus Descending, which got a little too complex and messy towards the end, so I only rate it a 7/10.
That describes a lot of the Dave Robichaux stories. Still, I like the stories even though the "cop with a drinking problem" has been overdone, Burke does it well, so I think I'll hit half-priced books to look for it.

Death of a Red Heroine is a mystery novel but also offers an insiders look at China in the early 1990's, after the Tiananmen Square protests were suppressed. The author Qiu Xiaolong now lives in the US but apparently still can visit China. The book discusses the trauma the people suffered during the Cultural Revolution. It's a good background for understanding today's China. The story is about a young detective inspector and his investigation into the death of a beautiful woman who was a national role-model worker in Shanghai.

Started Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte several weeks ago but just got around to finishing it today. Woo, what a strange book! Anybody else read it? What the hell happened to Heathcliff in the end? To me the reader is left wondering whether Catherine's spirit finally claimed him or did he finally commit suicide/willed himself to die still distraught over his unfulfilled love for Catherine? His death is as strange as his life.

Interesting you should say that. This book was recently on PBS as a BBC production in the Masterpiece series. I couldn't even watch it after the first 20 minutes as it came across as so dark and depressing, so sorry can't help you out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom