Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-25-2014, 02:47 PM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets

Regarding all those who haven't finished college - I started college right out of high school. After two years, lost interest and didn't go back. A couple of years later I get married. DH had also quit college after a couple of years so we both decide to go to night school. After a couple of years I get pregnant and quit (he stays and finishes and then finished law school). Once child is 10 years old (and I continue to work full time) I decide to go back to night school again - and get pregnant again (11 years between my two kids) so I quit again. Once youngest is in high school, I decide I REALLY want to finish college, so I go back again - by now I'm in my 50's. But I finished! Everyone asked "what will you do with your degree"? I said "hang it on my wall". I knew I was getting close to retiring so it would not help me in my career, I just wanted to say "I graduated from..." Made me feel really, really good.

And whatever your labors and aspirations in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul. With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.- Desiderata by Max Ehrmann
MissMolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-25-2014, 03:37 PM   #42
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMolly View Post
Regarding all those who haven't finished college - I started college right out of high school. After two years, lost interest and didn't go back. A couple of years later I get married. DH had also quit college after a couple of years so we both decide to go to night school. After a couple of years I get pregnant and quit (he stays and finishes and then finished law school). Once child is 10 years old (and I continue to work full time) I decide to go back to night school again - and get pregnant again (11 years between my two kids) so I quit again. Once youngest is in high school, I decide I REALLY want to finish college, so I go back again - by now I'm in my 50's. But I finished! Everyone asked "what will you do with your degree"? I said "hang it on my wall". I knew I was getting close to retiring so it would not help me in my career, I just wanted to say "I graduated from..." Made me feel really, really good.
At least you didn't get pregnant the third time going back to night school!

Old 07-25-2014, 03:44 PM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Hey, MissMolly, this is a "failure" thread. You got this thread confused with inspirational success story thread.
Old 07-25-2014, 03:46 PM   #44

My grandfather used to say "if you haven't failed at something in life you're not trying hard enough". By that measure I have not let him down. Notable failures on all fronts, and from what I've heard , DW, our kids, her and my siblings can provide a lengthy and detailed list.

Too many to keep track of. You pick yourself off, dust yourself off, and step back into the fray.
Old 07-25-2014, 04:43 PM   #45

I failed at writing fiction - in 9th grade the English teacher asked me to write a short story for a competition. I could not for the life of me make up a story out of thin air - every time I tried it was loosely disguised autobiography. Have never tried again.

Like several others here, I failed at being a calm, patient, consistent parent. Fortunately, DH was better at it and the kids seem to have turned out OK nonetheless, but I'm truly embarrassed when I recall my behavior on a number of occasions (and I'm sure there are many more that I don't recall).

Finally, like many others here, I failed at my first choice of retirement hobby - golf. At least I have the excuse that I never exhibited the slightest bit of athletic talent at any point in my life (which I don't really consider a failure).
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 06:13 PM   #46
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBAustin View Post
I failed at writing fiction - in 9th grade the English teacher asked me to write a short story for a competition. I could not for the life of me make up a story out of thin air - every time I tried it was loosely disguised autobiography. Have never tried again.
That's about the only thing I ever liked about English classes during my school years, was creative writing.

But (and this is another failure item)... While I could write up a fantastical few pages of some characters doing something, I could never extend that ability to several chapters or a book.

How people like Tolkien or Rowling think up their grandiose worlds and write about them so voluminously is beyond me.
Old 07-25-2014, 06:22 PM   #47
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneAspen View Post

That's about the only thing I ever liked about English classes during my school years, was creative writing.

But (and this is another failure item)... While I could write up a fantastical few pages of some characters doing something, I could never extend that ability to several chapters or a book.

How people like Tolkien or Rowling think up their grandiose worlds and write about them so voluminously is beyond me.
It's beyond almost everyone, even most published novelists. :-)
Old 07-25-2014, 06:39 PM   #48

I have utterly failed at having a family, in a stable long term relationship with a wife and children.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 06:44 AM   #49
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Biggest personal failure, not being a good enough father to my son. Making progress, though, even at this late date.

I never achieved much, but never had much ambition, either. We have come this far without disaster, so things are OK. It is worth remembering the words of a Seattle Mariner who observed that in baseball, you lose about half the time. Get used to it.

One of my favorite quotes is from Winston Churchill, who said, Success is being able to go from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm.
And I don't care how big your truck is."
Ed_The_Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 03:33 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMolly View Post
But I finished! Everyone asked "what will you do with your degree"? I said "hang it on my wall". I knew I was getting close to retiring so it would not help me in my career, I just wanted to say "I graduated from..." Made me feel really, really good.
You're not the only one. DW didn't finish hers until she was 53 and it does nothing but hang on the wall. And that's okay. Hopefully she'll never need it.
Old 07-26-2014, 04:00 PM   #51
Recycles dryer sheets

Very thought provoking thread. Can relate to many of the failings listed. My personal top 2 are:

1) Failing to give myself a pat on the back or an attaboy for successes. Guess my mind assumes anything but success is failure.

2) Inability to take pride, happiness and enjoyment from successes even if they are really important to me and those I love.

3) Not a psychiatrist but I think this resulted from the way I was raised. Taught to feel shame for not reaching my goals and taught to feel shame for feeling full of myself when I did. So guess my central regret is not finding a way to overcome this basic impediment.
Old 07-26-2014, 04:08 PM   #52
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Hanging wallpaper.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 04:18 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Hanging wallpaper.

You just lost a part time job at my place, Butch. Just keep thinkin', that's what you're good at

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 05:27 PM   #54
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I don't like that word ... FAILURE. Yuck.

I have been bad at some things. Take baseball. I didn't quite get into the major leagues. Was pretty decent player with the guys on our block. Then Little League came around. Got on a championship team but my batting average was 0.000. I did hit one foul ball, so not a complete failure.

Now I enjoy watching the Giants play against the Dodgers. Last night was a bad one though.

I did find a sport that I could do, running. Ran track and cross country in high school. Still running 40 years after college. The squirrels and wild turkeys think I'm amazing.
Old 07-26-2014, 05:33 PM   #55

Foul balls don't count against you. You can't get a -0.150 batting average. I tried! (but I was an outfielder and pitcher).

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 05:48 PM   #56
Full time employment: Posting here.

I too don't like the word failure. Am just bad or disinterested in some things like maintaining friendships with people in my school or college days. Also am unable to maintain good health throughout my adult years - it's always rotating illness for each different part of my body every year. Now I have to see the ophthalmologist next week because of eye issues. And I work hard at maintaining my health but I just have poor genes!
Old 07-26-2014, 08:30 PM   #57
Recycles dryer sheets

Failed at finding a significant other as in girl friend or wife. Been successful enough at
business to retire early. Probably spent a few too many hours working.. I guess I still
have time.... maybe
Old 07-28-2014, 03:43 PM   #58
Recycles dryer sheets

Don't mind the word failure...it's part of being human

I did fail at my first marriage and to this day I cannot tell you why. However I believe that I succeeded spectacularly with the 2nd (20 years this Oct).

I also failed on my 1st 5year plan to retire...and my second and 3rd..and 4th (I'm a good communist apparently 5year plans never work out right :P)

I think I'll hit it finally on my 5th so success is imminent

I will for sure fail to be as good of a guitar player as I would like to be (which is David Gilmour/Brian May/Tommy Emmanuel) level. But I won't give up either

I gave up golf when I tore up my shoulder...so I don't have to worry about failing there now
Old 07-30-2014, 10:34 AM   #59
Recycles dryer sheets

Apparently I failed to keep this thread going as well
Old 07-30-2014, 01:20 PM   #60

Hey, I finally remember something I failed big at!

I tried fixing our garage door once, the kind with the big horizontal spring that helps lift the door vertically. I needed more lifting force, so I figured I'd tighten the spring. I started loosening a screw and it sent my wrench flying across the garage when the spring unwound. I hired a pro to fix things back up. Lucky I didn't get hurt.

My memory protects me from any other failures I may or may not have had.