What have your learned from E-R.org?

CardsFan

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I joined here in 2015, but was a lurker for 5-6 years before that. What I have learned here has immensely improved my confidence in FIRE and probably has saved me many $$$.

So, to start with a few:

- The tax torpedo: I knew about RMD's, I knew income was going to increase when we take SS, but I had never put the two together to see exactly HOW much our income might increase at the time.

- Roth conversions: never considered this before, but after looking at the tax torpedo, started right away.

- IIRMA: Had not even considered that Medicare cost can go up with income. Not sure I can do much about it if one of us passes, but I can certainly try to plan.

- When to take SS? should I pay off the mortgage? and what is the best AA?: Well some things are fun to discuss, with no "right" answer.:D

How about you?

Too many to list, but a few are:

I bonds

All things related to Medicare and related insurance (still learning more)

Last but definitely not least... the mighty Thermapen!

11 ways to use dryer sheets and that bacon is the foundation of happiness ?

:baconflag:

Everything.

That when you make a big salad and put it in a Tupperware bowl, it will last a lot longer if you put a paper towel on top before sealing the bowl.

Thank you to whoever wrote about that, we use that tip almost weekly.

That with a well moderated forum and a great set of members such as this, who would need Facebook etc!!

Too many to list, but a few are:

I bonds

All things related to Medicare and related insurance (still learning more)

Last but definitely not least... the mighty Thermapen!

I forgot to add the Medicare Info (beyond IIRMA). I have learned more about that here than anywhere else. I find myself "informing" friends on the topic, and they are amazed at what I know. Thank you all.

I forgot to add the Medicare Info (beyond IIRMA). I have learned more about that here than anywhere else. I find myself "informing" friends on the topic, and they are amazed at what I know. Thank you all.

That’s happening to me too as my friends, like me, are approaching Medicare age and everyone is very confused about options. Having access to smart people who have researched and/or experienced the process and are willing to share is fantastic.

I found this site while I was still a working stiff and realized there were many people in the same mind set of LBYM and early retirement. Not to mention indexing is a sure fire way to keep investments cost low and who needs a financial advisor. Retired in 2005 at the ripe old age of 54 and never looked back. I don't post much anymore but still check out the forum almost daily.

Last edited:
E-R is BrainBook, as far as I am concerned. The amount of knowledge in play at any given time is incredible.

The major lesson learned, is that it's better to hold a post, maybe ignore the topic, and enjoy life.

A secondary lesson is that my un-audited numbers are very close to the actual result.

11 ways to use dryer sheets and that bacon is the foundation of happiness ?

:baconflag:

heh heh heh - AND how to spell curmudgeon! :rolleyes: :greetings10: :flowers:

I even add bacon now to my red beans and rice beside the smoked ham hock.

One more: an awareness of how big regional differences can be. We tend to think local in our viewpoints but things are very different elsewhere.

Here are a few:

• That I need to establish residency in a no-income tax state for years when I'm away from the US.
  • That there's usually not one right answer to anyone's question.
  • That I'm not the only one planning to FIRE (at the office, it seems like I'm the only one out of 150+ folks)!
  • That it can be done!
  • That everyone has a different story, a different background, and a different perspective.
  • That everyone has a different opinion!

About everything imaginable. The only thing that I did right was invest in stocks/bonds from the get go and saved all my life. I'm glad I got that right on my on. Lol
I have done so many things wrong, and things I have never heard of before, it is unreal. I learn something about every time I come here.

To always save talking about politics for your hometown Facebook forums.

That there are a whole lot of people with a whole lot more money than me.

Time is your ally and investing smart when you're young pays off, especially when there's compounding.

And that I'd hate to be right out of college and having to fund 100% of my retirement with the stock market at an all time high--and interest rates at an all time low.

OP, thank you for this thread.

I learned that learning something can only happen if one is willing to be wrong and is open to the possibility. That is when real learning occurs.

That it is dangerous and usually wrong to make blanket statements. If I keep the lines of communication open and am civil, posters will give me insight on what they object to and why. If not, I will not learn anything.

I have a deep appreciation for the saying numbers is hard. Yes, numbers is certainly hard.

I learned a few good tips. I learned some interesting insight to financial decisions.

Unfortunately, I also learned that a lot of people like to give a lot of bad advice on topics where they have no real knowledge.

I learned that a lot of people are happy to jump in with suggestions without ever actually understanding what the post starter is really seeking and without ever taking into account the starter's goals.

I learned that a lot of people here aren't tolerant of opinions that don't conform to the apparent norms of e-r.org.

I learned that while many folks purport to seek optimal financial outcomes and make decisions based on data, they actually make many/most decisions based on gut feel and "rules of thumb".

I learned that many folks here don't seem to understand what life is like for those who will never be able to retire "early" in the sense that e-r.org encourages.

I learned that I can still learn a lot as long as I remain very skeptical and don't take anything written here at face value.

I learned a few good tips. I learned some interesting insight to financial decisions.

Unfortunately, I also learned that a lot of people like to give a lot of bad advice on topics where they have no real knowledge.

I learned that a lot of people are happy to jump in with suggestions without ever actually understanding what the post starter is really seeking and without ever taking into account the starter's goals.

I learned that a lot of people here aren't tolerant of opinions that don't conform to the apparent norms of e-r.org.

I learned that while many folks purport to seek optimal financial outcomes and make decisions based on data, they actually make many/most decisions based on gut feel and "rules of thumb".

I learned that many folks here don't seem to understand what life is like for those who will never be able to retire "early" in the sense that e-r.org encourages.

I learned that I can still learn a lot as long as I remain very skeptical and don't take anything written here at face value.

I'm having trouble figuring out why you bother reading here :confused: and never forget the age old axiom you get what you pay for.

It would take me a week to summarize everything I’ve learned here, or just as importantly had reinforced that I learned elsewhere/earlier. And I’ve learned some non-financial, non-retirement lessons here too, just as helpful.

A wonderful resource, that’s why I/we ‘formally’ say thanks periodically http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f27/thanks-for-a-great-forum-er-org-and-moderators-97059.html

I now know a lot about some aspects of FIRE, and yet I’m pretty naive about other aspects. Guess I need to stick with it...

Last edited:
I'm having trouble figuring out why you bother reading here :confused: and never forget the age old axiom you get what you pay for.
I'm wondering the same thing.
I have learned there are a very few here that seem to know everything, and maybe the do. Lol

Being retired long before this forum existed, the only thing I have learned here was that my current and future children and young wife were actually going to get a check from the US Guvmint from the time they were born until 18-19 years old (16 for the young wife) rinse and repeat. Admittedly, I have been hanging around these last few years to see what other "gems" you guys can come up with!

I see all of that at times. I also find times when I think people are like that, but actually know what they're talking about and I'm wrong. That's a bonus of challenging people, I might learn something. Or they might if they're wrong. Or maybe neither of us will, but at least others have heard both sides.

It's good to be skeptical of the free advice you get here, but I've learned more than I can list.

I do find the second gripe on your list most frustrating, when sometimes people read a title and don't even seem to read the first post before jumping in with their very off-base advice. The rest, meh.

Back
Top Bottom