Join Early Retirement Today

Re: What he said...
Old 10-11-2006, 02:23 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345
Who are they? Anyone who had the slightest shade of centrality quickly ended up on Karl Rove's **** list and most of them were either hounded out of office or forced to recant and go over to the Dark Side. They should walk the plank with the buggers they carried water for in return for earmarks.
Go Brewer. Here are some words from "1776" that might come in handy on one of these threads:
Dear Sir, you are without any doubt, a rogue, a rascal, a villain, a thief, a scoundrel and a mean, dirty, stinking, sniveling, sneaking, pimping, pocket-picking, thrice double-damned no-good son-of-a-bitch.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-11-2006, 02:35 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

Oh, would I love to see Bush, Cheney, Rice, and Rumsfeld chastised, belittled, and shamed in public. It just wouldn't solve anything. While I would dearly love to see criminal charges levied, tried and prison terms for them, I don't think that is the best way to proceed. Hopefully, these folks will never be heard from again. No one will ask their advice, buy their books, or care what they are doing for the rest of their lives.

However, something must be done to stop Bush from blunder-bussing the last two years.

I believe we must immediately begin to find answers in honest debate and compromise. It must begin as soon as balance is restored. We don't have time for recrimination.

I just don't see a viable politician out there who could provide the leadership that would get us to that point.

Old 10-11-2006, 02:45 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elderdude
I believe we must immediately begin to find answers in honest debate and compromise. It must begin as soon as balance is restored. We don't have time for recrimination.
I don't buy it. We've had 5 years to fiddle while the world burns, handing out taxcuts and earmarks to the friends of the powerful, all the while the other party was marginalized, demonized, and compromise was a distant memory. You really think the power mad nutballs currently "in charge" will be open to compromise after the election? I doubt it. So its time for a purge. Let it be long, painful, and involve people that make Ken Starr look like a fluffer.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 02:56 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Gumby for Pres in '08.

Gumby/REWahoo ticket, with Brewer as Secretary of Defense?
Old 10-11-2006, 02:58 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheryl
with Brewer as Secretary of Defense?
Nah. I want to be the Torquemada in the modern day version of the partisan Inquisition. Repent!!!

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 03:07 PM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheryl
Gumby for Pres in '08.

Gumby/REWahoo ticket, with Brewer as Secretary of Defense?
I get to be the new Dick Cheney? OK, let me get my 12-gauge...

Hey, SG! Let's go bird hunting!

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 03:36 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo!

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 03:39 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo!

That only works on old attorneys. . . Martha?
Old 10-11-2006, 05:11 PM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345
then righting the mess in Iraq
Maybe we could try an experiment in democracy.

Let the Iraqis and the U.S. military in that country vote on whether the U.S. forces should stay or go.

Then the veterans who want to leave can come home. The ones who want to stay can leave the service, start their careers with Blackwater Security, and get rich off the contracts paid for by U.S. foreign aid. Everyone will be happy!

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 01:11 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
Maybe we could try an experiment in democracy.

Let the Iraqis and the U.S. military in that country vote on whether the U.S. forces should stay or go.

Then the veterans who want to leave can come home. The ones who want to stay can leave the service, start their careers with Blackwater Security, and get rich off the contracts paid for by U.S. foreign aid. Everyone will be happy!
The US bases are built. They will not be abandoned. Maybe they could be sold to Blackwater?!...
Old 10-20-2006, 03:38 PM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Eh, we quietly abandoned Kaison (sp) and eventually every other base in Vietnam.

Won't Bush just pardon everyone that gets clipped in an investigation to keep them quiet, if it comes to that? Every other President has - for various motivations (Ford, Reagan, and Clinton come to mind).
Old 10-20-2006, 04:04 PM   #32

Third party talk is always popular. What you have got to realize is that the Democrats and Repubs were also third parties once, and merely displaced another party. If you have ever taken Poly Sci 101, you would understand that the reason we have 2 parties is that are elections are decided by plurality rather than majority.

That's how meaningless third party talk is.
Old 10-20-2006, 04:14 PM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Multiple parties only seem to work in parlimentary systems where the Prime Minister (or equivalent) is elected by Parliment. A third party could then play a powerful "broker" role, even a disproportionately powerful one. Consider, if the two major parties each had 45% of the seats, and a third party managed to get 10%, they would be just as powerful as the other two, since it would take two out of any three groups to have a majority. That's why you hear phrases like "coalition government" and "national unity government" in other countries with this system.

In a way, haven't we become more democratic? I mean, back in the old days party bosses would smoke stogies in back rooms and decide who the Presidential nominee was, right? Now my vote gets begged for 2 years before the election!
Old 10-20-2006, 06:56 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

If the Democrats stood for anything other than "I'm against GWB" they might deserve a vote on merit. Obviously failing that standard they may still deserve a vote because absolute power has apparently worked its corrupting magic on the Republican's in charge.

I have no illusions that the Dems will "fix" anything, but I am still hopeful that we can return the government to the sweet, glorious, gridlock of the late 1990's. Gridlock won't fix our international problems but it will prevent more damage to the home front. Furthermore, the "intractable" problem of the deficit fixes itself quite nicely once political stalemate prevents Congress from spending like drunken sailors.
Old 10-20-2006, 08:46 PM   #35
Full time employment: Posting here.

Are you a Democrat, Republican or Red Neck?
Here is a little test that will help you decide.
The answer can be found by posing the following question:
You're walking down a deserted street with your wife and two small children.
Suddenly, a Terrorist with a huge knife comes around the corner, locks eyes with you, screams obscenities, raises the knife, and charges at you. You are carrying a Glock cal 40, and you are an expert shot. You have mere seconds before he reaches you and your family. What do you do?
.................................................. ....
Democrat's Answer:
Well, that's not enough information to answer the question!
Does the man look poor! Or oppressed?
Have I ever done anything to him that would inspire him to attack?
Could we run away?
What does my wife think?
What about the kids?
Could I possibly swing the gun like a club and knock the knife out of his hand? What does the law say about this situation?
Does the Glock have appropriate safety built into it?
Why am I carrying a loaded gun anyway, and what kind of message does this send to society and to my children?
Is it possible he'd be happy with just killing me?
Does he definitely want to kill me, or would he be content just to wound me?
If I were to grab his knees and hold on, could my family get away while he was stabbing me?
Should I call 9-1-1?
Why is this street so deserted?
We need to raise taxes, have paint and weed day and make this a happier, healthier street that would
discourage such behavior.
This is all so confusing! I need to debate this with some friends for few days and try to come to a consensus.
.................................................. ..
Republican's Answer:

BANG!

Red Neck's Answer:
BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG!
BANG!
Click..... (Sounds of reloading)
BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG!
BANG!
Click
Daughter: "Nice grouping, Daddy! Were those the Winchester Silver Tips or Hollow Points?"
Son: "Can I shoot the next one?"
Wife: "You ain't taking that to the Taxidermist!"

"Who among us is smart enough to learn from the mistakes of others?" - Voltaire
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 08:54 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick
Are you a Democrat, Republican or Red Neck?
Here is a little test that will help you decide.
The answer can be found by posing the following question:
You're walking down a deserted street with your wife and two small children.
Suddenly, a Terrorist with a huge knife comes around the corner, locks eyes with you, screams obscenities, raises the knife, and charges at you. You are carrying a Glock cal 40, and you are an expert shot. You have mere seconds before he reaches you and your family. What do you do?
.................................................. ....
Democrat's answer: I'm not stupid enough to walk down a deserted street where terrorists might jump me, my wife, and small children. You would have to be an idiot, a Republican, or a dumb redneck to do that.

Republican's answer:
BANG . . . "Got you ya little . . . BANG, BANG, BANG, BANG as the remaining scumbags on the desserted street you've chosen to bring your family down shoot and kill you and your family.

Redneck's answer: not available. The redneck died prior to the test. His last words were, "Here. Hold my beer and watch this."

Old 10-20-2006, 09:08 PM   #37
Dryer sheet aficionado

What about a third-party ticket with Colin Powell and Barack Obama?
... doesn't matter who's pres and VP... but the two together... Awesome!
Old 10-20-2006, 09:16 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurence
Multiple parties only seem to work in parlimentary systems where the Prime Minister (or equivalent) is elected by Parliment. A third party could then play a powerful "broker" role, even a disproportionately powerful one. Consider, if the two major parties each had 45% of the seats, and a third party managed to get 10%, they would be just as powerful as the other two, since it would take two out of any three groups to have a majority.
Actually, the key thing you said was 'majority'. - It is the requirement of a majority that makes mulitple parties a reality. Not the form of government. Today anyone with a plurality wins the election. Just change the election rules to require a majority and Wa La - You not only have 3rd parties, but 4th, 5th, 6th, etc. etc. etc. - just like in France. - The parlimentary system has nothing to do with it. It's the election rules.

This is Political Science 101 - Which I'm guessing you never took.
Old 10-20-2006, 10:24 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick S
What about a third-party ticket with Colin Powell and Barack Obama?
... doesn't matter who's pres and VP... but the two together... Awesome!

Colin Powell I will give you....

But not Barack Obama... I did see an interview with him last night and he seems to be a very carismatic person... but he has not 'aged' enough yet... not enough experience... maybe 2012 or 2016 (more likely)... but not 2008..
Old 10-20-2006, 11:39 PM   #40
Full time employment: Posting here.

Colin Powell was the author of "Don't ask, don't tell," and looked the world right in the eye and knowingly lied to us about WMD in Iraq.

Other than those things, a great guy. But I couldn't in good conscience vote for him at this point, without evidence of some serious soul-searching on his part with respect to these matters first.