Join Early Retirement Today

What I wish someone would invent...
Old 01-14-2006, 10:55 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

What I wish someone would invent...

A sound canceling gizmo.* A friend purchased a home near a busy street, another blocks away from a freeway that tunnels the sound of passing traffic right to her deck.* It would be great to have a device that would 'learn' bad noise and emit the inverse frequency through an outdoor speaker.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: What I wish someone would invent...
Old 01-14-2006, 12:07 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Don't wait for someone else to do it, go for it. You could probably make millions off such a device.
LRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 12:32 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brat
A sound canceling gizmo. A friend purchased a home near a busy street, another blocks away from a freeway that tunnels the sound of passing traffic right to her deck. It would be great to have a device that would 'learn' bad noise and emit the inverse frequency through an outdoor speaker.
I would be the first one to buy such device. I'd love to drown out the harley riders on my block.
Old 01-14-2006, 05:52 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

What I learned about the properties of sound is 40+ years old, but I doubt that the physics has changed.* Sound canceling is not difficult if the source or receptor is small (which is why it works in hearing aids and headsets).*

Many years ago I participated in a high-tec product brain storming session.* I offered "maps" and "routing" for ground transportation and the easily lost like me --- this was when the internet was raw, well before the ilk of MapQuest.* It wasn't long before MS had a software product that did the job.* That was a far-fetched dream then.

Given the subsequent development of computer systems there is an opportunity for a product developer to design a system that has multiple sound receivers and speakers that would sort out and emit a noise suppression sound so that folks could enjoy their back yards.*

I wish I had the ability to develop such a product, I am just an HR person who has a flair for math and physics and can dream.* If anyone can put together such a product I have a couple good test sites and know a great VC team.
Old 01-15-2006, 03:00 AM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

It looks like there's a pretty active field in this area called Active Noise Control, but I couldn't find many consumer products.* * There are a few books and software packages that will help you build your own, but it looks like it's a very context-specific problem with no general solution.

This looks like a good toy to start bulding your own:

EZ-ANC
wabmester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 09:51 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Cool!
Old 01-16-2006, 06:52 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Here's a nice sound cancelling gizmo, being operated apparently by a prairie dog...

Attached Images
File Type: jpg prairie dog bazooka.jpg (2.5 KB, 80 views)
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 10:15 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

There are some excellent active noise cancellation head phones on the market:

http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-3000_7-1017728-1.html

I worked in an office that had 'ambient noise' piped in over ceiling speakers which basically 'hissed' as a way to mask sounds of the office. When I was a grad student and lived in noisy dorm room I used a floor fan next to my desk which was always turned on high. This fan acted as a source of masking noise and displaced the otherwise constant noise of the cramped living space. 8)
Old 01-17-2006, 09:08 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Yes, devices exists for noise cancellation if you are willing to hand all your guests headphones. Picture that party for a moment.

Sound suppression is also available for specific points of origin such as a equipment.

If there were a 'fan' than one could turn on that would deal with highway noise over a back yard or deck... haven't seen that yet.