What (if anything) may be collectables in the future (i.e 10-20 years out)

Retiree_Having_Fun

Recycles dryer sheets
Was visiting some older friends this week and noticed that their house is filled with collectables(silver, figurines, antiques, china, antique car in the garage)

Discussion let to something about some old toys or toy cars that used to be worth $100 on ebay are now selling for less than $5. Estate auctions with china that have no takers.

So my question - more our of curiosity than any trying to corner the market is what if anything might be collectable in the future from what you have observed of young people, grand kids, etc?

It is somewhat cyclical. On Antiques Roadshow, there are always some objects that the appraiser would say,"Today it is worth X, 5 years ago it was worth 3X".
My sis has a collection of Wedgewood items that are worth so much less it is not worth trying to sell them.
After my MIL died, I tried to sell her china. I found out it would cost more to ship them than I could get for them.
I think at one time LLadro was the rage, now a lot of them are selling for $20 to $30 on eBay.
One exception, is Waterford crystal, as the factory has shut down.
YMMV

When mom died her baroque pattern silver ware was worth metal weight .... so that's something. 24 setting Lenox China got less than $100

I collect what makes me happy looking at it .... got a bunch of dradles

Have collectible stuff because you like it. Not for the money potential gain or loss. Just because something is old does not make it worth more. Collectibility is very subjective and only establishes a value based on what others are willing to pay.

I have several old cars, it is my hobby working on them or fixing them up. I have fun and enjoyment driving my old cars around. If they happen to go up in value, great. But I do it because I like it, not for the money.

Do people still collect things?

I don't know but I'm sure they must. Still, in today's world where people often have to move for jobs, it's hard to have huge collections of stuff and move them. I think it was easier in the old days, when people would more often live in the same house for a half century or more.

Another thought - - people often say "oh this is worth hundreds of dollars" and can find websites or other information that they think confirms that high valuation. But then if/when they try to actually sell whatever-it-is and get the money in hand, they never get anywhere near that much. I think this has always been the case.

Young people don’t collect items. I have gotten rid of all my collections. Less to dust and makes cleaning fast and easy.

New un opened I Phone 6 in box,,,,,,,,,,High end Swiss watches.....Sears credit card..... election campaign buttons and stickers.

( I still have " I Like IKE " pin , LBJ for the USA and a Gerald Ford " W.I.N." button * )

* The president's " Whip Inflation Now " slogan . :LOL:

My son has dibs on DW’s guitars. He’s already started his own collection.

Well, did you ever wonder what is in all those $100/month self storage units you see everywhere? [emoji23]
From what I've seen of family members units:
Furniture no one needs.
Clothes no one wants.
Broken crap that will never get fixed.

Hoarder overflow. Unfortunately, my therapist says there's now evidence that hoarding has a hereditary component.

High quality Art. Plus, you can enjoy it in the meantime.

My mom thought her huge collection of Beanie Babies would put my kids through college. Now I have grandkids....still waiting.

About 10 years ago, I stopped at a cider mill. While there, I noticed there were some folks nearby selling things, sort of a small market/craft fair. I started chatting with a lady who was selling little pewter characters, etc. (Things you might have also found in a myriad of gift shops).

She said she was selling out all her stock, as the young people simply are not collecting things like folks used to. They have their tech toys, and a few items of furniture and clothing. That allows them to be mobile and flexible.

Remember all the Christmas stores usually in every cute tourist spot, and the inevitable gift shops, and antique shops etc.? Many/most of these have disappeared, as "collecting' per se seems to have dwindled.

As to what is in all those self-storage units...it's the crap that won't fit in people's homes (much of which may likely have been their Christmas gifts from years gone by). :(

omni

MIL collected the classics: Hummels, Boehm birds, Lladros, commemorative plates, etc., but they were just gifts from FIL, not as investments. Sold for pennies on the dollar at estate sale. We kept a set of their 1920s Czech china and some equally old little English children’s toys (a tea party set) because we like them. The things that increase in value on Antiques Roadshow seem to be the things that cost a lot to begin with, so already being rich helps. In the future? Who knows, but surely nothing considered “collectible.”

Last edited:
Does anyone think it would be a good idea to liquidate their entire portfolio and go 'All in' on Beanie Babies?

Just asking for a Friend.

I figure anything that's mass produced in large enough numbers that I could actually own one isn't ever going to be collectible. Beanie Babies (I know you're joking, above!) are probably a very good example.

And as others have said, the younger generations don't have any desire for old crap to set around the house. When I handled DF's estate last year I couldn't get any of the grandkids to show any interest in the china, silver, coin collection, antique furniture, etc. no matter how hard I pleaded.

Complete crap shoot. I used to collect pro cycling stuff from Lance Armstrong’s heyday. I sold cycling jerseys on eBay for as much as $200. Helmets for $300. Today, you’d be lucky to get $25 for either.
My only guess would be if it’s hard to get today and desirable, it may have value in the future as well.

Back
Top Bottom