Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-11-2011, 03:20 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

My dilemma may have been solved for me.

I was talking to my sister and we were laughing about my geocaching adventures and my fear of being thought of as a pervert. Just as I said "I'm a pervert", my boss walked by the office with a couple of potential donors.

I have a feeling I'm gonna have some 'splaining to do
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-11-2011, 03:23 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuiloa View Post
I've actually considered working 2 weeks on and 2 weeks off. You never know about these things.
Kidding aside, that sounds like a great idea. When (OK, if) you begin dreading returning to work from your two weeks off, you'll know it's time to pull the plug for good.
Old 10-11-2011, 04:01 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Find a job you hate and all your doubts will vanish.
That could be an ER bumper sticker!

Currently, I can't get the chant "four more years" out of my head (and it has nothing to do with re-electing anyone).
IBWino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 04:24 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
It wasn't just this weekend - it's EVERY weekend. Total inertia. It's not a good thing.
I'm FIREd for almost 5 years now, and I have days like that (total inertia) sometimes. It gets worse during the winter.
The way I deal with inertia is to do some small project that requires light activity and takes an hour or less, such as laundry, dishwasher fill/empty, repot or trim dead leaves off houseplants, reorganize a closet, go through my file cabinet weeding out old paperwork, prune grapevines or shovel snow, wash curtains, etc etc.
I put on lively music CDs or a digital cable music channel (not always the same one) and get up out of the chair. It improves my mood and I get a feeling of accomplishment.

Make yourself a list and when you feel that major inertia, pick a project from the list and get it done.
Old 10-11-2011, 04:32 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

I actually have a bag of "to do" items which range from cleaning out a sock drawer to purging files, but also includes things like going for a walk or a swim.

In my more ambitious moments, I pull out a piece of paper and do it. It's not always fun, but it's always a surprise.

My problem is the TV. I need to learn to keep it turned off.
Old 10-11-2011, 04:35 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBWino View Post
That could be an ER bumper sticker!

Currently, I can't get the chant "four more years" out of my head (and it has nothing to do with re-electing anyone).

The years go fast. It's the last few months that go terribly, terribly, slowly.
Old 10-11-2011, 04:40 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm not sure you're ready to ER. I'm counting down the months, weeks, days; wishing the day would get here sooner than later. Do I have an occassional concern about having enough $$ or fears I'll be bored -- sure. But at the end of the day I'm committed to jumping ship the day after I turn 55. That still 18 months away. It can't get her soon enough!
LauAnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 04:43 PM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
I'm FIREd for almost 5 years now, and I have days like that (total inertia) sometimes. It gets worse during the winter.
The way I deal with inertia is to do some small project that requires light activity and takes an hour or less, such as laundry, dishwasher fill/empty, repot or trim dead leaves off houseplants, reorganize a closet, go through my file cabinet weeding out old paperwork, prune grapevines or shovel snow, wash curtains, etc etc.
I put on lively music CDs or digital cable music channels and get up out of the chair. It improves my mood and I get a feeling of accomplishment.

Make yourself a list and when you feel that major inertia, pick a project from the list and get it done.
Or, go take a nap....

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 04:49 PM   #29
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Nu,

I can appreciate the concern you are having. I sometimes like the "idea" more than the actual event. And I don't think there is nothing wrong with spending a few days watching tv. This is a big event in one person's life. I think as much as we have planned there is still bumps.

I have been off from work since 14 Jul. Some good days and some bad ones. I think one of the hardest things I have had to learn is to not think about things in such short term periods as I did when I was working.

I can appreciate what you are saying about your current working situation. I am kind of in the same situation in that I have a job offer that I will have trouble duplicating. So do I strike now or not. In actuality I am perfectly happy knocking around doing whatever. That is not to say I may never go back to work. I really haven't decided 100%.

Today I was at my doc. He said I looked a lot better than I did 6 months ago and my BP/labs were excellent. Needless to say this comment had an impact on my view about ER. No matter what happens I have no regrets just hanging out the last 3 months.

JDARNELL
JDARNELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 05:03 PM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

Well, just after I started this thread, my sister called to tell me that my BIL is no longer responding to chemo and has 3 to 6 months to live (pancreatic cancer).

He RE'd at age 50, just over 10 years ago, but she kept working. She has now taken a leave of absence and they are trying to do everything on his bucket list.

That put everything back in perspective.

His illness was one of the reasons I decided to retire at age 60. The other was my brother's diagnosis of pulmonary fibrosis, with a year to live. I so want to enjoy life while I'm still young(ish) enough and healthy enough to do stuff.
Old 10-11-2011, 05:05 PM   #31
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I so want to enjoy life while I'm still young(ish) enough and healthy enough to do stuff.
But...but...you have such a great job!
Old 10-11-2011, 05:08 PM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
But...but...you have such a great job!
Yeah - but they don't allow me to drink beer at my desk while listening to Hula music. Go figure!
Old 10-11-2011, 05:09 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I actually have a bag of "to do" items which range from cleaning out a sock drawer to purging files, but also includes things like going for a walk or a swim.

In my more ambitious moments, I pull out a piece of paper and do it. It's not always fun, but it's always a surprise.

My problem is the TV. I need to learn to keep it turned off.
Several of our members here record their favorite shows and then watch the shows when they want to, versus when the show is being broadcast. Sounds like a good idea to me.

I am not a TV show watcher, but use the digital cable music channels as pleasant background noise unless there is a game on. Then Mr B takes over the remote control. If he falls asleep, I put the music back on.
Old 10-11-2011, 06:01 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Maybe you're right to be concerned, Nu, considering your Thanksgiving weekend (although I sometimes need a little downtime watching old sitcoms or reading really bad novels, too) when you have your RV at the ready and unused. Maybe your job is still providing you with enough psychic rewards that outweigh whatever tediousness it also entails. Is there something you can envision yourself retiring to that is better than what you'd be retiring from?
+++ Most of us on this board hated work, and also we are a particular personality type. I feel that you may be better off to carefully consider just who you are, and what you want. There is no rush to retire. It is kind of a one-way passage, in spite of assurances that "you can always go back to work.".

Enjoy your great job, watch TV in the evening, and never have to worry about money. You can always retire.

I confess that I do not understand the terrible tragedy of dying on the job. Death, I agree, is a bummer. Whether it comes climbing the stairs at the office or later at home, what difference does it make? In fact it might help to keep one's mind occupied with work while death sneaks up on us, rather than greeting it at home alone.

Also, it is possible that loving RVs might be correlated with happiness in ER. I am no fan of RVs, and although I enjoy retirement, I am sure not in the class of many of the people here. And I have almost no down time, so it isn't boredom.

Ha
Old 10-11-2011, 06:53 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha
+++ Most of us on this board hated work, and also we are a particular personality type. I feel that you may be better off to carefully consider just who you are, and what you want. There is no rush to retire. It is kind of a one-way passage, in spite of assurances that "you can always go back to work.".

Enjoy your great job, watch TV in the evening, and never have to worry about money. You can always retire.

I confess that I do not understand the terrible tragedy of dying on the job. Death, I agree, is a bummer. Whether it comes climbing the stairs at the office or later at home, what difference does it make? In fact it might help to keep one's mind occupied with work while death sneaks up on us, rather than greeting it at home alone.

Also, it is possible that loving RVs might be correlated with happiness in ER. I am no fan of RVs, and although I enjoy retirement, I am sure not in the class of many of the people here. And I have almost no down time, so it isn't boredom.

Ha
I agree with Ha. Know what you are retiring to and why before you do it. We all have various reasons that may or may not apply to you. Personally, I'm retired and very glad I am, but if I was forced to RV in retirement, I would rather go back to work. Just saying that to emphasize we are all different in our reasons for retiring, not that RV'ing is bad in any way. On a side note, although this doesn't pertain to anyone or a specific comment, I don't know why some people who spend their time reading books feel superior about their retirement than people "wasting their life watching tv". If you enjoy it do it. It's your retirement, nothing to apologize about.
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 06:59 PM   #36
Full time employment: Posting here.

Even a great job will turn bad if you stay long enough.
Old 10-11-2011, 07:04 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
On a side note, although this doesn't pertain to anyone or a specific comment, I don't know why some people who spend their time reading books feel superior about their retirement than people "wasting their life watching tv". If you enjoy it do it. It's your retirement, nothing to apologize about.
I agree. Isn't this part of being FI? Maybe you are looking at this the wrong way. Google "Why do people work" vs why do people retire. Just another perspective.

JDARNELL
JDARNELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 07:26 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
In fact it might help to keep one's mind occupied with work while death sneaks up on us, rather than greeting it at home alone.

Ha
When all I have to look forward to is keeping my mind busy with work until the Grim Reaper pays a call, do me a favor and shoot me.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 07:40 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Yeah - but they don't allow me to drink beer at my desk while listening to Hula music. Go figure!
If they allowed that, you would have the perfect job. Mine didn't, so I retired. No regrets after 4 years. Took a golf lesson today and played 9 holes. Guzzled down a cold med afterward and later took a nap. What a great day.
Old 10-11-2011, 08:16 PM   #40

Maybe if I actually tried it I wouldn't like it, but RVing sounds like a lot of fun, to me. Here on e-r forum, I always read RV threads with great interest. Alas, here on Oahu, opportunities to tool around in your own house are nil, so far as I can tell. At any rate, I've never tried it.