What if they played a baseball game & noone showed up??

mickeyd

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering C
I guess it was either that or cancel the games entirely. Clearly it is not a good time for crowds of people to be going to/from the stadium.

What if they played a baseball game & noone showed up??
I fail to see the significance of my attendance a baseball game. You people need to find something worthwhile to discuss.

I fail to see the significance of my attendance a baseball game. You people need to find something worthwhile to discuss.

now that's funny, I don't care who you are...

Starting with the assumption that it is always about the money, here is my totally imagined story: The team owner believed that very few people would venture down to the stadium. So rather than pay all the usual game day staff, the owner got the mayor help out and support not allowing people in the area. This also saved the city all the extra security for the crowds.

Maybe this is a glimpse of the future, all sports will only be televised and no fans will be allowed in the stands. It will be much better profit for the owners. Not that there is anything wrong with profit.

Starting with the assumption that it is always about the money, here is my totally imagined story: The team owner believed that very few people would venture down to the stadium. So rather than pay all the usual game day staff, the owner got the mayor help out and support not allowing people in the area. This also saved the city all the extra security for the crowds.

Maybe this is a glimpse of the future, all sports will only be televised and no fans will be allowed in the stands. It will be much better profit for the owners. Not that there is anything wrong with profit.

I agree that the owner probably thought few people would venture to the stadium, and that the security required would draw away from other areas that need security. But I doubt this is a glimpse into the future. Teams make the most money when the stadium is full. Not just from the tickets but all the additional functions like parking and concessions. Many corporations pay big buck for the most expensive tickets and luxury boxes to entertain clients. No corporation will pay naming rights fees for an empty stadium. Then there is the merchandising, few folks would buy team paraphernalia without the ability to have that ¨personal"connection to the games.

On addition, most (not all) large cities perceive sports events bring in lots of additional revenue and can help improve the economic situation. My bet is that behind the scenes the Baltimore administration and the team owners are working feverishly to figure out when they can get fans back to Camden Yards. I would not be surprised to see some type of incentive to get the fans to return - particularly since, to put in bluntly, the attendance demographic is different from the city demographic.

So was there really a game......
If a Tree Falls In The Woods and No-one Is Around To Hear It

I agree that the owner probably thought few people would venture to the stadium, and that the security required would draw away from other areas that need security. But I doubt this is a glimpse into the future. Teams make the most money when the stadium is full. Not just from the tickets but all the additional functions like parking and concessions. Many corporations pay big buck for the most expensive tickets and luxury boxes to entertain clients. No corporation will pay naming rights fees for an empty stadium. Then there is the merchandising, few folks would buy team paraphernalia without the ability to have that ¨personal"connection to the games.

On addition, most (not all) large cities perceive sports events bring in lots of additional revenue and can help improve the economic situation. My bet is that behind the scenes the Baltimore administration and the team owners are working feverishly to figure out when they can get fans back to Camden Yards. I would not be surprised to see some type of incentive to get the fans to return - particularly since, to put in bluntly, the attendance demographic is different from the city demographic.

Yes, you are right about all that. I just have this image in my brain of future professional sports being played just for TV in giant warehouses surrounded by green/blue screens for showing a digital stadium.

I would not be surprised to see some type of incentive to get the fans to return - particularly since, to put in bluntly, the attendance demographic is different from the city demographic.

For a more cynical view on this concept, the new Atlanta Braves stadium (SunTrust Park) is being built in Cobb county. from the link " In addition, team VP for business operations Mike Plant has noted the downtown location "doesn't match up with where the majority of our fans come from." SunTrust Park - Wikipedia, the free encyclopediahttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SunTrust_Park#cite_note-13

For a more cynical view on this concept, the new Atlanta Braves stadium (SunTrust Park) is being built in Cobb county. from the link " In addition, team VP for business operations Mike Plant has noted the downtown location "doesn't match up with where the majority of our fans come from." SunTrust Park - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

That's true of an awful lot of cities. In my driving excursions I've learned not to spend the night in downtown areas. They tend to close up after the work day ends. You do much better with hotels and restaurants in suburban areas. So I agree with his assessment, even though Atlanta's downtown is more vibrant than most. The fans mostly live in the suburbs.

That's true of an awful lot of cities. In my driving excursions I've learned not to spend the night in downtown areas. They tend to close up after the work day ends. You do much better with hotels and restaurants in suburban areas. So I agree with his assessment, even though Atlanta's downtown is more vibrant than most. The fans mostly live in the suburbs.

Regarding hotels in big cities, it is not just downtown. When I lived in Galveston, we went to see the Astros play in Houston, and stayed in a inner suburb area in a lower tier national chain hotel. and there were many people living in it. That was unpleasant for us as tourists. So when I travel now, I stay in places I'm fairly sure does not have a preponderance of people using the hotel as their domicile. I've had to work a little longer to ensure I can afford those places, but it is worth it.

And based on my one and only overnight stay in downtown Atlanta a few years ago, Atlanta does have a very vibrant downtown.

Regarding hotels in big cities, it is not just downtown. When I lived in Galveston, we went to see the Astros play in Houston, and stayed in a inner suburb area in a lower tier national chain hotel. and there were many people living in it. That was unpleasant for us as tourists. So when I travel now, I stay in places I'm fairly sure does not have a preponderance of people using the hotel as their domicile. I've had to work a little longer to ensure I can afford those places, but it is worth it.

And based on my one and only overnight stay in downtown Atlanta a few years ago, Atlanta does have a very vibrant downtown.

If you at talking about staying at one of the nearby intercity hotels near Minutemade park on the east side of downtown Houston, then you are a much braver man than I am. Even "heavily armed" (with extra ammo and a backup gun) I wouldn't stay there. You would have been much better off taking the one hour (depending on traffic) drive back to Galveston. And if you are talking about the old Astrodome, then the same comments apply for that area, back in the day when they played there.

OK, I was totally wrong here with my totally imagined story. It turns out the Orioles owner went ahead and payed the contractors that would have worked at the game. See what happens when one speculates without any facts!!!

Also, most of the tickets (especially the most expensive ones, like skyboxes) are sold well ahead of time, and game-day sales are usually the cheap seats. By not allowing the fans in, the O's have to give refunds. They would have made a lot more money by leaving the gates open, regardless of whether or not anyone showed up. Although lost concession revenues would put a dent in that.

Back
Top Bottom