Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-06-2014, 12:22 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Its the age when people offer carry stuff for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-06-2014, 12:42 PM   #22

DW had major cancer surgery in her late 40s. She was "proud" to turn 50 - and every year since, birthdays are a "good" thing. Amazing the perspective you can gain by life events.

Now, the only thing that bothers her is when some folks think I am her son - and we are actually the same age! She has beautiful white hair and I have very dark brown hair (the Ronald Reagan look.) Go figure!

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 07:59 PM   #23

In photography, it is when you don't even bother trying to hide the skin wrinkles. You adjust lighting to minimize them and not highlight them, you use Photoshop to minimize/deemphasize them, but if you eliminate them the result looks silly.
Old 07-06-2014, 08:05 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
In photography, it is when you don't even bother trying to hide the skin wrinkles. You adjust lighting to minimize them and not highlight them, you use Photoshop to minimize/deemphasize them, but if you eliminate them the result looks silly.
Yep. Some of us would no longer have a face.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 08:33 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
DW had major cancer surgery in her late 40s. She was "proud" to turn 50 - and every year since, birthdays are a "good" thing. Amazing the perspective you can gain by life events.
True that!

Although I will admit it is hard to keep that perspective 100% of the time, despite having gone through frightening life events myself. We all need to be shooken up a bit now and then to remind us of what is truly important.

(49, married; DH 53. I am fully retired as of 2015 (well ok, I still work part-time but only because I love the job and have complete freedom to call off if I want to travel with hubby for work), DH hopes to fully retire 2018 when he turns 55 to access 401K penalty-free...although he may decide to do part-time consulting)
simple girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 10:32 PM   #26

Older people began calling me "sir" when I was in my 30s, usually when i was still wearing a jacket and tie as part of my work outfit (they switched to full-time casual in 1998 when i was 35). That did not make me feel old. but when the younger crowd began calling me "sir" when I was not in formal workwear, that began making me a little old.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 12:46 AM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

If you're (still) working in the high tech industry, it's best to be under 35. Otherwise people assume you don't know much.
Old 07-07-2014, 03:08 AM   #28
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Recently the waiter at a Swiss Chalet restaurant addressed me as "dear". It's a shame I won't be going back, because I like their chicken.

Memo to all waiters: My name is NOT Dear!
I expect to be called "Sweetie" by all NY diner waitresses. It does not bother me.
Old 07-07-2014, 08:11 AM   #29

It's that age when you stop worrying about answers to questions like this
Old 07-07-2014, 09:22 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

What is a certain age?

5 years older than my current age.
Old 07-07-2014, 09:23 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
It's that age when you stop worrying about answers to questions like this

Is that the last step prior to becoming a curmudgeon?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 07-07-2014, 09:58 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
Is that the last step prior to becoming a curmudgeon?

Yep, we call that a pre-mature curmudgeon
Old 07-07-2014, 11:26 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Sweetie in NYC [as well as just across the Hudson in NJ], and Hon in Baltimore, are expected and would be missed.

What I dislike (because it sounds so condescending) is "young lady" or any form thereof. I didn't like it when I was young, and I despise it now. Oddly enough, Mr. A., who's much older than I am, doesn't mind being called "young man," even though I sense the same "you're obviously old, but we'll pretend we don't notice" condescension by the speaker. I guess I'm just sensitive to being talked-down-to.

Amethyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post
I expect to be called "Sweetie" by all NY diner waitresses. It does not bother me.
Old 07-07-2014, 03:12 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Sweetie in NYC [as well as just across the Hudson in NJ], and Hon in Baltimore, are expected and would be missed.

What I dislike (because it sounds so condescending) is "young lady" or any form thereof. I didn't like it when I was young, and I despise it now. Oddly enough, Mr. A., who's much older than I am, doesn't mind being called "young man," even though I sense the same "you're obviously old, but we'll pretend we don't notice" condescension by the speaker. I guess I'm just sensitive to being talked-down-to.

Amethyst
I can't see any reason to get emotionally moved by any of this. The only people who have tried that young man baloney on me are sellers of Real Change, a local paper sold by certain street type people some of whom weirdly think that might be an inducement to buy their useless rag.

We are continually manipulated skilfully (Amazon, Facebook) and unskillfully like the Real Change sellers young man approach. I guess the only antidote is to recognize it, and mount some sort of active defense.

I believe that this was originally a French literary phrase applied only to women, perhaps not too old to have dropped their interest in romance or their interest to men, but also obviously no longer young. Recently it has also been applied to men, IMO a rather ridiculous idea since for the most part men are not sensitive about their age.

Ha
Old 07-07-2014, 03:25 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
I can't see any reason to get emotionally moved by any of this. The only people who have tried that young man baloney on me are sellers of Real Change, a local paper sold by certain street type people some of whom weirdly think that might be an inducement to buy their useless rag.

We are continually manipulated skilfully (Amazon, Facebook) and unskillfully like the Real Change sellers young man approach. I guess the only antidote is to recognize it, and mount some sort of active defense.

I believe that this was originally a French literary phrase applied only to women, perhaps not too old to have dropped their interest in romance or their interest to men, but also obviously no longer young. Recently it has also been applied to men, IMO a rather ridiculous idea since for the most part men are not sensitive about their age.

Ha

I'm in your camp on the age thing. I doubt many are pandering that bad with the terms. It probably isn't meant in any different way than when someone says hello to a 5 year old boy or girl and refers to them as a "young man" or "young lady". At least if nothing else, it sounds better than "OG" "Old Timer" "Old Lady" or "Old Hag".

Old 07-07-2014, 03:44 PM   #36

The owner of the coffee shop I frequent, who is my age, often calls me young man. Do not find it offensive at all. At times I reply: thanks for the vote of confidence, usually to laughter by bystanders.

In Baltimore on my first visit to a restaurant/bar the waitress offerd a second beer, with the preface of hon. Not being familiar with the custom, I smiled and said: gee one beer and I am hon, do two beers get us in bed? She did not have a comeback. Having a foreign accent is a plus in times like that. No she was not a two six pack lady either

As for being called sir, it is ok. At times I reply: don't call me sir, I used to work for a living. A paraphrase from my Army days when the correct response by enlisted men to being called sir was: Don't insult me, I work for a living.

All in all, do not recall being direspected by anyone based on age. There are plenty of equal opportunity abusers in official/controlling capacities, in those cases I make a mental note: a$$hole, smirk and get on with life.
Old 07-07-2014, 05:15 PM   #37

"a certain age"
Old 07-07-2014, 06:08 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

I'm a little bemused at all this.
I really couldn't care less what people call me, and things like "dear," "hon," "darlin'," etc. have never bothered me. I just chalk them up as local habits and ignore them.

Same goes for "sir." It startled me at first, but I quickly got used to it.

Conversely, I routinely call people sir and ma'am, but with a smile. Nobody has ever seemed to be offended, and they generally smile back.

I guess part of that stems from my military background, where those titles were routine.
Old 07-07-2014, 06:32 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

What I wanna know is...what is the age when 'we should know better'?
Old 07-07-2014, 08:00 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

"Know better" to not do what?

Tags
age, ageist, older, terminology