Join Early Retirement Today

What is a millionaire?
Old 03-10-2006, 06:33 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

What is a millionaire?

OK OK

Many say $1,000,000 ain't what it used to be and I guess it is not. (still plenty to me).

So keeping that in mind how would you define the term millionaire by todays standards?

GTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: What is a millionaire?
Old 03-10-2006, 06:46 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

While growing up in the early 70's, if someone was a millionaire it was a pretty big deal and that level was generally unattainable by the middle class.

Since then, prices have roughly quintupled, so five million is where I'd put the equivalent threshold today.
SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 07:00 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc
While growing up in the early 70's, if someone was a millionaire it was a pretty big deal and that level was generally unattainable by the middle class.

Since then, prices have roughly quintupled, so five million is where I'd put the equivalent threshold today.
So perhaps one such equation might be to take the reported middle class household income, today would be around $50,000 according to some reports.

Multiply by 100 = unattainable by most of the middle class.
just_hatched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 08:15 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Works for me! 8)
SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 10:19 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTM
still plenty to me
just did quick google on world weath distribution so following stats are questionable web stuff. but even if the numbers are in the ballpark, they paint an interesting picture....

of current 6.5 billion world population, 3 billion people (year 2000 stats) live on less than $2/day; 1.3 billion people live on less than $1/day (not sure if that is part of original 3 billion). by 2030, when population will be 9.3 billion, the world bank projects 5 billion people living on less than $2 per day.

in a june 2005 report cnn money shows 2.5 million millionaires (excluding home value) in the u.s. (population about 300 million). they refer to those with assets of $5-30 million as "mid-tier millionaires." so i guess $1 million is just a plain ol' millionaire. wikipedia shows 8.2 million americans with a net worth of at least $1 million. again, of a population of 300,000,000 people.

i read someplace way back that those in the u.s. living at the poverty level live better than 80% of the rest of the people on the planet.

so to be a millionaire here is to be in the top, what, 2-3% of a population whose welfare members live better than 80% of the rest of the world?

regardless of inflation since 1970, a millionaire is still a millionaire and a million is still plenty for me as well. sometimes it helps to count more our blessings & less our change.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 11:07 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

A consideration in "what is a millionaire" needs to be what assets do the net worth consist of.

Someone with a home with $400,000 in equity a 401k with $350,000 a Roth with $125,000 a new Lexus, some stocks and a months salary in his saving/checking account is probably a millionaire.

But how much cash could he come up with in 3 days without taking a substanial hit.

My definition of a millionaire is someone who can come up with a million dollars in cash with relative ease.

Old 03-10-2006, 11:20 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTM
My definition of a millionaire is someone who can come up with a million dollars in cash with relative ease.
so if someone has a 100k house & 900k in cash that person is a millionaire but if someone has a house with 900k equity and only 100k cash that person is not a millionaire?

i'm sorry. i was using merriam-webster definition. i hadn't considered consulting one published by ransom house.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
Old 03-10-2006, 11:32 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazygood4nothinbum
so if someone has a 100k house & 900k in cash that person is a millionaire but if someone has a house with 900k equity and only 100k cash that person is not a millionaire?

i'm sorry. i was using merriam-webster definition. i hadn't considered consulting one published by ransom house.
No neither would be, must be able to get that mil real easy.
Selling a home takes time so even a 100k house and 900k in cash would not qualify per ?
Old 03-11-2006, 06:39 AM   #9

It's always amazing what people consider to be their net worth.

I have a friend who adds clothes, household items, jewellery, etc. That sounds great until you have tried to give-way sell those types of items.
OldAgePensioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 09:10 AM   #10
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

It still has its pizzazz as is. When my wife and I got home from the wedding I said "How does it feel to be a millionaire?" and she looked momentarily surprised and giggled..."Pretty good!".
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 09:25 AM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Hello all......I do not post very often, but I thought this link might be interesting with respect to this discussion.* www.globalrichlist.com
roadkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 09:56 AM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Forbes now has 800 some people on their Billionaires list -- a big increase from last year.

Maybe a Billionaire is the new millionaire? I wonder how many millionaires there were in the world at the turn of the century? (19-20 that is).
Old 03-11-2006, 10:16 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 03-11-2006, 10:16 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute 'n Fuzzy Bunny
When my wife and I got home from the wedding I said "How does it feel to be a millionaire?" and she looked momentarily surprised and giggled..."Pretty good!".
Donald Trump said something similar only to his first wife and she had the same reaction.
Old 03-11-2006, 11:28 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

I have MUCH better hair than The Donald. I actually have hair in fact!
Old 03-11-2006, 12:00 PM   #16

Quote:
It still has its pizzazz as is. When my wife and I got home from the wedding I said "How does it feel to be a millionaire?" and she looked momentarily surprised and giggled..."Pretty good!".
So she married you for your good looks and not the money?

Come on!
Old 03-11-2006, 12:04 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

I'm pretty sure it was for the plumbers butt crack I display when working.

Old 03-11-2006, 04:52 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougdo
Maybe a Billionaire is the new millionaire?
i'm picturing the billionaire or the guy who lives on less than $2 per day shaking their respective heads thinking "a billion dollars/two dollars sure doesn't buy what it used to."

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadkill
Hello all......I do not post very often, but I thought this link might be interesting with respect to this discussion. www.globalrichlist.com
thanx roadkill. gr8 site. you should post more. just forwarded to everyone i know who ever bitched about money (and, um, that would be everyone i know.)

Old 03-12-2006, 11:48 AM   #19

Quote:
But at that time, would that have been divided by 2.
Old 03-12-2006, 12:03 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Still works. But We Are One.