What is it?

imoldernu

Gone but not forgotten
The subject comes up often... "What to do after retiring?"... "How do you spend those hours that were freed up?"

So, one of my 1,000 hobby interests... and the one that drives my DW absolutely mad... is discovering, (and usually buying) things from resale shops. Items that I don't understand, or know anything about... Usually very inexpensive and always fun. Items that peak interest in a full fledged hobby... as with my 1800's Singer Pharoah sewing machine, or some kind of early typewriter or fax machine... or a 1920's opaque picture projector. Never spend much more than a dollar or two.

Now here's today's purchase, for $.69 less 10% senior discount plus 7% tax.
It's very well made of spring steel, with the base and top (I think) covered with a plastic coating. The coffee cup is in the pic for size perspective. It's in brand new condition.

Usually, when I'm stuck, I take a picture and use Google Image to find the object. This time, no go... so... am looking for suggestions, guidance, knowledge, or guesses. What is it?

Maybe, if it's valuable, I could call it a financial asset, and justify posting here.

Attachments

• What is it.jpg
    What is it.jpg
    304.8 KB · Views: 91
I think you are missing what that goes inside of. No idea what that would be part of, but it seems incomplete as just the spring.

A $.69 less 10% senior discount plus 7% tax, waste of money? Unless the coffee cup (with hot coffee) came with it.

Last edited:
I think this is a helper spring for the rear of a Prius.

I'm going with a bedspring. Belongs inside a mattress.

I know, but I can't say - forum rules prevent that kind of stuff. And stop posting dirty pictures!

OK, can we get some different views? Maybe it's upside-down? Does the bottom part look like it would clip over something, like a vase or ball jar or :confused:

-ERD50

I'm going with a bedspring. Belongs inside a mattress.
Mr B says excellent guess.
He's refining your guess to being an inner spring for a recliner, straight chair or couch because of the tapering from top to bottom.

My guess is it is some sort of coil to hold fake flowers upright on a table, or to attach real or fake flowers to with wire or clips to make a pyramid floral decoration.

Mr B says excellent guess.
He's refining your guess to being an inner spring for a recliner, straight chair or couch because of the tapering from top to bottom.

My guess is it is some sort of coil to hold fake flowers upright on a table, or to attach real or fake flowers to with wire or clips to make a pyramid floral decoration.

Thank you, thank you very much, Mr. B!

If you google images of bedsprings, you will find hundreds of photos of old rusty ones being used for craft projects, including vase holders and wreaths.

Re: bed spring type whatever... the spring is not strong enough for that kind of support. In fact it is so "springy" that when you start it shaking, it continues for almost a minute.

My DS looked at it on Skype, and had what I though was a pretty good guess. He thinks its a "popper-upper" that might fit in a tube that would push up a stack of paper plates or like that

The plant support, either for hanging or growing sounds good too. The plastic coating at the top and bottom is quite well done. The smaller circle has a little hole on one side that looks as if it could be used for hanging.

In the meantime, much to DW's distress, it has a home on the coffee table, as a piece of modern art. :cool:

It is a helical antenna for ET's ultra long distance call.

I think the different size of the plastic parts and the oval/teardrop shape of the wire imply something was inside at once. how bout a Japanese lantern with the paper missing?

Back
Top Bottom