Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-08-2015, 08:03 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE2Boys View Post
Rambler American ! Late 50s or early 60s
1962!

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-08-2015, 08:17 AM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Interesting thread--thanks! (I won't play because google image search violates the spirit of the game!)
Old 10-08-2015, 08:20 AM   #43

Fired's #1: Citroen LN (Wasted an hour in Wikipedia before I found it!)
scrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 08:28 AM   #44
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE2Boys View Post
Rambler American ! Late 50s or early 60s
That was our family car when I was a wee lad back in the 60's. In kind of a parchment white, as I remember.
Theseus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 08:34 AM   #45
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunthewiser View Post
Is the Citroen a Xantia? BX? Can't tell from the profile.
Oh so close! The BX was released a few years before car #2, the Xantia a few years after. But car #2 was a more upscale model.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 08:41 AM   #46
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrinch View Post
Fired's #1: Citroen LN (Wasted an hour in Wikipedia before I found it!)
Ding ding ding! We have a winner! My mom's LN was red with black and white checkered interior. Pretty ugly thing. It had a 2-cylinder engine, like its venerable predecessor, the 2CV.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 09:14 AM   #47
Recycles dryer sheets

^^ 60-63 American,but not a 61 I don't believe. I cut my teeth doing rust repair on my aunt Martha's 61, and I think it had a different grille.
Old 10-08-2015, 09:37 AM   #48
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theseus View Post
That was our family car when I was a wee lad back in the 60's. In kind of a parchment white, as I remember.
Mom's first car! She didn't drive till she was 40 yo.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 10:39 AM   #49
Recycles dryer sheets

Speaking of first cars, this was mine. It had a 4 speed automatic way back in '69 that shared 8 quarts of oil with the engine. I learned the hard way to always make sure the filter was on securely on this car when I didn't and had to clean up a huge mess on parents driveway. This car was fitted with large square headrests that you needed to flip down in order to tilt up the seat (yes, the entire seat) so as to let someone into or out of the back seat. Such a joy were those pesky US safety regs in those days.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1968americareardone.jpg (19.6 KB, 11 views)
Old 10-08-2015, 10:47 AM   #50

Quote:
Speaking of first cars, this was mine. It had a 4 speed automatic way back in '69 that shared 8 quarts of oil with the engine. I learned the hard way to always make sure the filter was on securely on this car when I didn't and had to clean up a huge mess on parents driveway. This car was fitted with large square headrests that you needed to flip down in order to tilt up the seat (yes, the entire seat) so as to let someone into or out of the back seat. Such a joy were those pesky US safety regs in those days.
Wow--I'd never even heard of that manufacturer. Was a big car guy back in the day, but US models only....
Old 10-08-2015, 11:13 AM   #51

Quote:
Austin America in the US. Related to the original Mini with engine transmission sharing oil sump.
Ian S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 11:24 AM   #52

IIRC, the Austin America also had the Hydrolastic suspension similar to the Austin/Morris Mini. It utilized a rubber spring and hydraulic connection between front and rear:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrolastic . British Motors Corp. pioneered transverse engine FWD for small low end cars. The Mini had tiny 145sr10" tires while the America had larger 12" wheels. I had a 1969 Mini in college and loved it. My mother had an Austin America. Sadly they required a lot of maintenance and rusted out badly.
Ian S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 11:25 AM   #53
Dryer sheet wannabe

Morris Minor 1100. My father bought one of those when we first came to the US in 1967. Judging by the bumpers in the photo, this is about the same vintage - about 1965-1968?
twestern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 11:51 AM   #54
Recycles dryer sheets

Right, Austin America...the Minor was a totally different RWD car (you were probably thinking correctly , but it was the Morris Mini that was the sister car to the America).

I only had mine for 3 months and realized that I would soon break the transmission...and bought an MGB instead. Much more fun. Yes, the hydrolastic was busted on mine , the CVs were already bad at 24K miles. Would have been a money pit but I flipped it and made about $300 IIRC. And the new owner cursed me a few months later.
Old 10-08-2015, 11:53 AM   #55

Great thread! My dad would have loved it - he could identify nearly every car he saw to the make/model/year from the 1950s until 2006 when he died.

We also had a Rambler, I think it was a 1960 as I think they got it the same year my little sister was born. I seem to recall it had a pushbutton transmission, but that sounds weird just typing it.

I did help install the seatbelts in it - after Consumer Reports urged people to install them he ordered them in the mail and had his uncle's garage install them. But they couldn't figure out how to do the rear seats so they put me in the back to hold them in place then raised the lift to finish the job. I think I was 5.
MBAustin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 12:04 PM   #56
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
he could identify nearly every car he saw to the make/model/year from the 1950s until 2006 when he died.
I could do this as a kid. Anything from about 1955 to 1970 I can get spot on. After that I got pretty good at imports for the next decade, but couldn't care less about American cars.

IRRC the Ambassodors had the pushbutton automatics, and Chryslers
Old 10-08-2015, 01:09 PM   #57
Recycles dryer sheets

OK, I own one like the sedan, but it's a project. It should relatively easy.

A high school friend owned one like the roadster. It's the only one I've ever seen but it was factory produced, not a kit.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg car01.jpg (21.2 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg car02.jpg (96.2 KB, 8 views)
Old 10-08-2015, 01:33 PM   #58
Recycles dryer sheets

Daimler sp250 and hillman imp
Old 10-08-2015, 01:41 PM   #59
Recycles dryer sheets

Imp is correct.
Old 10-08-2015, 02:02 PM   #60
Recycles dryer sheets

Not the Daimler, eh? Maybe a bit longer in the snout, but almost as ugly. I'm stumped- must be real obscure.