Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-23-2013, 10:21 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Terms like wealthy and rich are subjective! I consider $1m to be rich/wealthy. It may be the bottom rung of the rich ladder, but it is still better than 95% of Americans.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-23-2013, 10:30 AM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

My income and investable assets put me in the 1% category for my age, marital status etc etc . However, I do not feel rich as the increase in income/net worth is exponential from the 1% to the 0.1% ers (the tail end of the bell curve) and where I live and my kids go to school ...... there are several of these ultra rich families who are not considered "working class". Fortunately, I DO feel wealthy since I will be able to FIRE at 42 given our relatively simple needs/wants. The ability to FIRE in my early 40's is all that matters to me.
Apex1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 11:52 AM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Maybe my experience is atypical, but anyway by the time I reached late middle age I found I was pretty much accustomed to (and content with) living a certain lifestyle and spending a certain amount each year.

Take that amount, multiply it by 30, and I think that someone having that much is rich. About $1M, in my case.

I could see how it might take over $5M for some to feel rich, though, especially if they are living in a more expensive location or among those with a high flying lifestyle.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 12:04 PM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bondi688 View Post
Plus, richness in life is not determined by money alone.
I'll buy that!
NanoSour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 12:38 PM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Even if you fly coach, if you're able to travel a lot without working, you're pretty well off.

The family drawing $4.3 million while living in SF is doing better than most of the country, most of humanity.

I forget the exact figures but the percentage of people with reliable running water, electricity, roof over their heads and modern conveniences is small on a global scale.

Doesn't mean they're rich by industrialized nations standards but then if you have millions in the bank, don't have to work, can travel, pay for kids' college, they're doing well.

They can't buy luxury goods all the time or necessarily have hired help (probably landscaping and housekeeping services though). But they can't be lumped with the middle class, no matter where they live.
explanade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 12:54 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

It helps to be content. I think of a college classmate of mine who is worth probably 10-20 million, yet our last reunion wasn't happy because other classmates he deemed not as smart as he had more wealth... so he still had to accumulate more. For him being wealthy wasn't just what you had, but how it compared to what others had, the good old rat race... and a sad reason why some will never feel they are wealthy.
Old 07-23-2013, 01:11 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
OK. Assume they have $5M in investable assets. They move to SF and rent a home appropriate for a family of four who will be considered "wealthy." Will you ever have any income beyond withdrawals from your $1.5M portfolio?

I don't think we really disagree. I'm just pointing out that "wealthy" is a very subjective and relative term. One's personal position on the economic scale is key as to how "wealthy" is interpreted. And life circumstances plays in as well.

To consider myself "wealthy" (my own view of "wealthy") with a net worth of $5M, I'd have to be unencumbered by any expensive family situation or other obligation and living where $150k - $200k annual income is far, far above average.
Yep - rental income (about 10k/year), already started; 2 very small non-cola'd pensions that add up to about 6k/year, starting in 3+ years when I turn 55; plus the usual: SS for me and my husband - he starts in a few months - I have a decade to wait.
rodi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 01:55 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

I would be "rich" with $5M...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 04:43 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koogie View Post
Isn't the definition of rich anyone who has more money than you ??
I thought "rich" defined anyone who spends $1 less than he/she earns.
TimSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 07:12 PM   #30

It doesn't matter exactly how much money you have. People's sense of wealth is relative to the other people you know. That is why the research shows that wealthy people are no more happy than the rest of us.

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/ar...019628,00.html

The actual research article:

http://wws.princeton.edu/news/Income_Happiness/
Old 07-23-2013, 07:29 PM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

Whenever I start to doubt that I'm rich (with quite a bit less than $5 million) I choose a route home that takes me through a poorer section of town - and I end up feeling very rich indeed. Perspective is everything and those of us with our basic needs plus some taken care of only have to adjust our perspective to be rich.
bikeknit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 10:22 PM   #32
Full time employment: Posting here.

Wow! NASA Probes See Earth & Moon from Saturn, Mercury

Just saw the images of Earth from space. Kind of put things into perspective.
bondi688 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 12:42 AM   #33

If you wear old faded jeans, drive a 15-year-old car, and eat homemade sandwiches for lunch, you're probably never going to feel rich even though those are the things that helped you get to $5M. Those are the penta-millionaires on this board. The penta-thousandaires on the leased Porsche discussion boards, on the other hand, probably do feel rich.
scrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 01:20 AM   #34

+2

Quote:
There are so many things that have to be considered: age, marital status, size of family, where you live, your lifestyle, your social circle, that make an absolute number fairly meaningless.

Plus, richness in life is not determined by money alone.
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 03:45 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikeknit View Post
Whenever I start to doubt that I'm rich (with quite a bit less than $5 million) I choose a route home that takes me through a poorer section of town - and I end up feeling very rich indeed. Perspective is everything and those of us with our basic needs plus some taken care of only have to adjust our perspective to be rich.
+1

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 04:13 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrinch View Post
If you wear old faded jeans, drive a 15-year-old car, and eat homemade sandwiches for lunch, you're probably never going to feel rich even though those are the things that helped you get to $5M. Those are the penta-millionaires on this board. The penta-thousandaires on the leased Porsche discussion boards, on the other hand, probably do feel rich.
On one hand you have a lot of what I call "closet" millionaires (or probably penta-millionaires) who live a very modest life style in relation to their wealth. OTOH you have folks who have the appearance of a high lifestyle but very little real wealth as the lifestyle is provided by debt.

I'm a long way from $5 million but if/when I ever get there I doubt my lifestyle will be much different from what it is today other than an occasional splurge here and there.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 04:16 AM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

Being rich does not concern me. My wife and I have enough to live comfortably and travel in our RV. Preservation of capital and the return on that capital does concern me as the savings accumulated through a lifetime of work fund my lifestyle.

If I were to win the lottery and dramatically increase my capital I doubt our lifestyle would change. We'd likely fund the educations of our nieces and nephews and invest the remainder. Accumulating more stuff is of no interest to us as we are consciously simplifying our lives. Watching a waterfall tumble down a gorge is worth more to us than having a new 80 inch television, new car, or second home.

Personally I feel as though I'm wealthy because I have enough to enjoy a comfortable life and I have the freedom and resources to do anything I'd like to do. For some that takes more than $5 million, for others far less. This tells me being rich is more an emotional and mental state of well being than it is a dollar amount once you are above a subsistence standard of living.
Old 07-24-2013, 05:44 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Wow! NASA Probes See Earth & Moon from Saturn, Mercury

Just saw the images of Earth from space. Kind of put things into perspective.
Just wait until the probe reaches Uranus...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 06:48 AM   #39

I suppose it depends on what the term rich means to you. To me, it means having several multiples of the amount I would require to lead a comfortable lifestyle. My "comfortable lifestyle" amount is around $1M, so using that logic, "rich" for me would be of the order of a few million, say 5, for the sake of giving a figure.

Having said that, although I'm not sure exactly why, I don't really like the word "rich" when used to refer to financial wealth.

Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 08:07 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
Just wait until the probe reaches Uranus...

Tags
rich, wealth