Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-23-2015, 07:53 AM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
gauss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,708
Quote:
Originally Posted by target2019 View Post
Has anyone purchased 1 year Tracfone card online from Amazon? It seems legit. That appears to be the the cheapest way to go at the moment. $85.00 total for 400 minutes, and you're set for a year...
I don't know if I purchased them on Amazon, but I have purchased them on Ebay all the time. I have never had a problem.

For purchasers, Ebay and Amazon are much more secure than Craigslist IMHO in that cash transactions (and the associated risks inherent in them to the buyer) do not generally take place on Ebay/Amazon.

-gauss
__________________

__________________
gauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-25-2015, 03:26 PM   #62
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
pb4uski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Vermont & Sarasota, FL
Posts: 16,396
DS lost his trac phone.... but he was close to being out of time and money anyway. He lives in a rural area that only Verizon covers (no AT&T, Sprint, etc). He is a light user but it is his only phone (no landline) and is concerned about cost (that's my boy!).

Any thoughts on a low cost Verizon network pay-as-you-go plan?

We have airvoicewireless and love it ($10/month) but it is AT&T.
__________________

__________________
If something cannot endure laughter.... it cannot endure.
Patience is the art of concealing your impatience.
Slow and steady wins the race.
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 03:36 PM   #63
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Major Tom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: SF East Bay
Posts: 3,128
Another vote for RW. I've only been with them for a little over a month but so far, I am happy. $10/mo + taxes and fees for unlimited voice and texting (+ data when on WiFi) makes it hard to justify not having a cellphone. The Moto G is in the sweet spot for price vs performance, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Options View Post
I like that I can switch 2x monthly to the $25/mo plan for unlimited V/T/D over 3G, although I've not done that yet as I've not had the need.
Me too, though I just tried it and the way it works is that when you switch to the $25/mo data plan, that is one switch. Then when you switch back to your $10/mo plan, that is another switch. So if you switch to the data plan for a while, then switch back, that is your quota used up for that billing cycle.
__________________
ER, for all intents and purposes. Part-time income <5% of annual expenditure.
Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 05:21 PM   #64
Full time employment: Posting here.
bjorn2bwild's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Western US
Posts: 690
Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
DS lost his trac phone.... but he was close to being out of time and money anyway. He lives in a rural area that only Verizon covers (no AT&T, Sprint, etc). He is a light user but it is his only phone (no landline) and is concerned about cost (that's my boy!).

Any thoughts on a low cost Verizon network pay-as-you-go plan?

We have airvoicewireless and love it ($10/month) but it is AT&T.
Same here, Verizon is the only network reaching my rural area home.
I recommend Page Plus. The cheapest plan is $10 per 4months, plus the cost of the phone - as cheap as $20 on their site, or bring your own. I use a discount service to refill - prepaid online with auto refill at a slight discount @ $9.70 x 3 = $29.10 per year, no worries.

https://www.pagepluscellular.com/

PrepaidOnline.com Instant Prepaid Phone Cards, Wireless Refill Cards and online Shopping Mall
__________________
How's it going to end..............
bjorn2bwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 07:07 PM   #65
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Free To Canoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Cooksburg,PA
Posts: 1,738
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjorn2bwild View Post
Same here, Verizon is the only network reaching my rural area home.
I recommend Page Plus. The cheapest plan is $10 per 4months, plus the cost of the phone - as cheap as $20 on their site, or bring your own. I use a discount service to refill - prepaid online with auto refill at a slight discount @ $9.70 x 3 = $29.10 per year, no worries.

https://www.pagepluscellular.com/

PrepaidOnline.com Instant Prepaid Phone Cards, Wireless Refill Cards and online Shopping Mall
+1

I get refills at pinzoo.com.
__________________
Free to canoe
Free To Canoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 07:21 PM   #66
Full time employment: Posting here.
Birdie Num Nums's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Seattle-ish
Posts: 776
Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
DS lost his trac phone.... but he was close to being out of time and money anyway. He lives in a rural area that only Verizon covers (no AT&T, Sprint, etc). He is a light user but it is his only phone (no landline) and is concerned about cost (that's my boy!).

Any thoughts on a low cost Verizon network pay-as-you-go plan?

We have airvoicewireless and love it ($10/month) but it is AT&T.
Doesn't Tracfone use the Verizon network? See here.
__________________
Birdie Num Nums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 07:32 PM   #67
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 1,878
Quote:
Originally Posted by target2019 View Post
Has anyone purchased 1 year Tracfone card online from Amazon? It seems legit. That appears to be the the cheapest way to go at the moment. $85.00 total for 400 minutes, and you're set for a year...
Somewhere on one of the tracfone blogs I read the landline ports take longer, up to two weeks. This seems to be true with other carriers as well.

I always ran out of service time vs minutes. If you use the tracfone site you get 30 minute card and add 365 service days for total of ~$60. Just depends how many minutes you need. The 400mn/1yr card on ebay is $79.99.
__________________
rbmrtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 07:34 PM   #68
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
pb4uski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Vermont & Sarasota, FL
Posts: 16,396
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdie Num Nums View Post
Doesn't Tracfone use the Verizon network? See here.
Yes, it does. Sorry, I wasn't clear on that. He's just looking at alternatives to renewing with Tracfone.
__________________
If something cannot endure laughter.... it cannot endure.
Patience is the art of concealing your impatience.
Slow and steady wins the race.
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 08:05 PM   #69
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
pb4uski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Vermont & Sarasota, FL
Posts: 16,396
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdie Num Nums View Post
Doesn't Tracfone use the Verizon network? See here.
Yes, it does. Sorry, I wasn't clear on that. He's just looking at alternatives to renewing with Tracfone.
__________________
If something cannot endure laughter.... it cannot endure.
Patience is the art of concealing your impatience.
Slow and steady wins the race.
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 11:46 PM   #70
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
target2019's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 3,705
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbmrtn View Post
Somewhere on one of the tracfone blogs I read the landline ports take longer, up to two weeks. This seems to be true with other carriers as well.

I always ran out of service time vs minutes. If you use the tracfone site you get 30 minute card and add 365 service days for total of ~$60. Just depends how many minutes you need. The 400mn/1yr card on ebay is $79.99.
Yes, I mentioned earlier in the thread that a landline port takes longer. 2 hours | 2 days | 2 weeks. Take your pick.

Also mentioned that 1 year card. It looks like that it the best value. And I have a triple minutes phone, so it would be 1200 minutes added. Yearly cost to maintain service approximately $85.00. Not bad.

"Has anyone purchased 1 year Tracfone card online from Amazon? It seems legit. That appears to be the the cheapest way to go at the moment. $85.00 total for 400 minutes, and you're set for a year... "


Also worth a mention is WhatsApp, which installs to your cellphone. Here's why.

We have been using Google Chat, and found the connection to be a problem to the other side of the world. It used to work well, but somewhere along the way I guess it got too popular, and quality went down hill due to throttling or spats between ISPs.

We have the Tracfone also authenticated to our wireless network. I installed WhatsApp. Found out that we could have a very clear one-hour conversation between US and AUS. This was using the Tracfone through our wireless network, out through the internet half-way around the world, and down through 3G to kid's cellphone down under.
__________________

__________________
target2019 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Best place to get a cell phone / cell phone plan? bank5 Other topics 4 09-18-2009 06:01 AM
Re-activate old cell phone, or keep new phone? thefed Other topics 10 05-09-2009 10:42 PM
Who has the best cell phone family plan ? frayne Other topics 4 10-14-2006 08:49 PM
Replacing The Landbased Phone With a Cell Phone Danny Other topics 12 11-04-2005 07:12 PM
Cheap emergency cell phone plan cute fuzzy bunny FIRE and Money 30 09-18-2004 06:13 PM

 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:59 AM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.