Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-23-2015, 06:53 AM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by target2019 View Post
Has anyone purchased 1 year Tracfone card online from Amazon? It seems legit. That appears to be the the cheapest way to go at the moment. $85.00 total for 400 minutes, and you're set for a year...
I don't know if I purchased them on Amazon, but I have purchased them on Ebay all the time. I have never had a problem.

For purchasers, Ebay and Amazon are much more secure than Craigslist IMHO in that cash transactions (and the associated risks inherent in them to the buyer) do not generally take place on Ebay/Amazon.

-gauss
gauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-25-2015, 02:26 PM   #62
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

DS lost his trac phone.... but he was close to being out of time and money anyway. He lives in a rural area that only Verizon covers (no AT&T, Sprint, etc). He is a light user but it is his only phone (no landline) and is concerned about cost (that's my boy!).

Any thoughts on a low cost Verizon network pay-as-you-go plan?

We have airvoicewireless and love it ($10/month) but it is AT&T.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 02:36 PM   #63

Another vote for RW. I've only been with them for a little over a month but so far, I am happy. $10/mo + taxes and fees for unlimited voice and texting (+ data when on WiFi) makes it hard to justify not having a cellphone. The Moto G is in the sweet spot for price vs performance, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Options View Post
I like that I can switch 2x monthly to the $25/mo plan for unlimited V/T/D over 3G, although I've not done that yet as I've not had the need.
Me too, though I just tried it and the way it works is that when you switch to the $25/mo data plan, that is one switch. Then when you switch back to your $10/mo plan, that is another switch. So if you switch to the data plan for a while, then switch back, that is your quota used up for that billing cycle.

Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 04:21 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
DS lost his trac phone.... but he was close to being out of time and money anyway. He lives in a rural area that only Verizon covers (no AT&T, Sprint, etc). He is a light user but it is his only phone (no landline) and is concerned about cost (that's my boy!).

Same here, Verizon is the only network reaching my rural area home.
I recommend Page Plus. The cheapest plan is $10 per 4months, plus the cost of the phone - as cheap as $20 on their site, or bring your own. I use a discount service to refill - prepaid online with auto refill at a slight discount @ $9.70 x 3 = $29.10 per year, no worries.

https://www.pagepluscellular.com/

PrepaidOnline.com Instant Prepaid Phone Cards, Wireless Refill Cards and online Shopping Mall
bjorn2bwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 06:07 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjorn2bwild View Post
Same here, Verizon is the only network reaching my rural area home.
I recommend Page Plus. The cheapest plan is $10 per 4months, plus the cost of the phone - as cheap as $20 on their site, or bring your own. I use a discount service to refill - prepaid online with auto refill at a slight discount @ $9.70 x 3 = $29.10 per year, no worries.

https://www.pagepluscellular.com/

PrepaidOnline.com Instant Prepaid Phone Cards, Wireless Refill Cards and online Shopping Mall
+1

I get refills at pinzoo.com.
Old 07-25-2015, 06:21 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post

Doesn't Tracfone use the Verizon network? See here.
Birdie Num Nums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 06:32 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by target2019 View Post
Has anyone purchased 1 year Tracfone card online from Amazon? It seems legit. That appears to be the the cheapest way to go at the moment. $85.00 total for 400 minutes, and you're set for a year...
Somewhere on one of the tracfone blogs I read the landline ports take longer, up to two weeks. This seems to be true with other carriers as well.

I always ran out of service time vs minutes. If you use the tracfone site you get 30 minute card and add 365 service days for total of ~$60. Just depends how many minutes you need. The 400mn/1yr card on ebay is $79.99.
rbmrtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 06:34 PM   #68
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdie Num Nums View Post
Yes, it does. Sorry, I wasn't clear on that. He's just looking at alternatives to renewing with Tracfone.

Old 07-25-2015, 07:05 PM   #69
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdie Num Nums View Post
Yes, it does. Sorry, I wasn't clear on that. He's just looking at alternatives to renewing with Tracfone.

Old 07-25-2015, 10:46 PM   #70
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbmrtn View Post
Somewhere on one of the tracfone blogs I read the landline ports take longer, up to two weeks. This seems to be true with other carriers as well.

I always ran out of service time vs minutes. If you use the tracfone site you get 30 minute card and add 365 service days for total of ~$60. Just depends how many minutes you need. The 400mn/1yr card on ebay is $79.99.
Yes, I mentioned earlier in the thread that a landline port takes longer. 2 hours | 2 days | 2 weeks. Take your pick.

Also mentioned that 1 year card. It looks like that it the best value. And I have a triple minutes phone, so it would be 1200 minutes added. Yearly cost to maintain service approximately $85.00. Not bad.

"Has anyone purchased 1 year Tracfone card online from Amazon? It seems legit. That appears to be the the cheapest way to go at the moment. $85.00 total for 400 minutes, and you're set for a year... "

Also worth a mention is WhatsApp, which installs to your cellphone. Here's why.

We have been using Google Chat, and found the connection to be a problem to the other side of the world. It used to work well, but somewhere along the way I guess it got too popular, and quality went down hill due to throttling or spats between ISPs.

We have the Tracfone also authenticated to our wireless network. I installed WhatsApp. Found out that we could have a very clear one-hour conversation between US and AUS. This was using the Tracfone through our wireless network, out through the internet half-way around the world, and down through 3G to kid's cellphone down under.
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote